Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Definitive List of Stair Topics?

Options
  • 02-06-2007 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hey all, so I am kinda crapping myself over stair coz I can't seem to find a concrete list of the topics. Yes I know I shouldn't stress so much over a 30 mark question but its something you can be sure of going in. So on that note could anyone help me out and post a list of the topics that HAVE to be known?

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

Tionchar na teangacha iasachta.
    Ogham.
    An Ghaeilge mar theanga Ceilteach.
    Na Gaeltachtaí.
    Eagraíochtaí Gaeilge.
    Meath na Gaeilge - 17ú aois agus 19ú aois
    Máirtí ó Cadhain, Máirtín ó Direáin, Seán ó Riardáin, Cailtlín Maude, Máire Mhac an tAoi, Nuala Ní Dhomhnaill.
    Na hAnnála
    Béaloidis
    Ruraíocht
    Fiannaíocht
    An dán díreach (Scoileanna na mBaird)
    An Aisling
    Na cuairteanna filíochta
    Adhchlann Uisnigh.

They're the topics my teacher gave me. Don't know whether that's a condensed list or not because it doesn't look like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

End of Fiúntas book has basically everything you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yes but the bits on the poets are after their poems, not the end.

You can leave out the poets, and it's advisable to do so. Too much work learning all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

JC 2K3 wrote:
    You can leave out the poets, and it's advisable to do so. Too much work learning all of them.
    Are you leaving out the poets then, yes?I'm toying around with doing that...but knowing me it won't be decision made until Thursday night.But if the general consensus is to leave them out I will.Frankly looking through the papers I feel that poets aren't necessary but I'm just not sure whether to abandon them completely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

my teacher didn't go through the poets or any stories, just the first 7ish on the list. things like irish in the media and bealoidis are easy .

come on the ogham!!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Tionchar na teangacha iasachta.
    Ogham.
    An Ghaeilge mar theanga Ceilteach.
    Na Gaeltachtaí.
    Eagraíochtaí Gaeilge.
    Meath na Gaeilge - 17ú aois agus 19ú aois
    Máirtí ó Cadhain, Máirtín ó Direáin, Seán ó Riardáin, Cailtlín Maude, Máire Mhac an tAoi, Nuala Ní Dhomhnaill.
    Na hAnnála
    Béaloidis
    Ruraíocht
    Fiannaíocht
    An dán díreach (Scoileanna na mBaird)
    An Aisling
    Na cuairteanna filíochta
    Adhchlann Uisnigh.

They're the topics my teacher gave me. Don't know whether that's a condensed list or not because it doesn't look like it!

I'd be inclined to agree with almost that entire list, the exception being An Aisling Pholaitiúil... That said, it'll be worth knowing tréithe na haislinge for an Fhilíocht, even if it's looking rather unlikely in Stair. Máirtín Ó Díreán, Seán Ó Ríordán and Nuala Ní Dhomhnaill are all quite possible too...

lemansky wrote:
    Are you leaving out the poets then, yes?I'm toying around with doing that...but knowing me it won't be decision made until Thursday night.But if the general consensus is to leave them out I will.Frankly looking through the papers I feel that poets aren't necessary but I'm just not sure whether to abandon them completely.
    Sure there're so many poets that can come up and it's only one of two questions(AFAIK).

It's more work than it's worth. Just learn everything else.

They're all very easy to bluff too, no small details required. I got 17/30 in Stair na Teanga in my mock without even looking at it before the exam.

Bit of advice though. I know it says it on the paper, but leor trí mhórphointe!

My teacher recommends 7/8 mionphointe. Bullet point form.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Sure there're so many poets that can come up and it's only one of two questions(AFAIK).

It's more work than it's worth. Just learn everything else.

They're all very easy to bluff too, no small details required. I got 17/30 in Stair na Teanga in my mock without even looking at it before the exam.

Bit of advice though. I know it says it on the paper, but leor trí mhórphointe!

My teacher recommends 7/8 mionphointe. Bullet point form.
    Cool.I'll leave them out so.
    I'd totally agree with your teacher-ours is the same.Besides them telling us that 3 mhórpointe aren't enoutgh-i personally wouldn't be happy to only write that much.
    I would just write out EVERYTHING I know on each topic,regardless of guidelines.Its always worked in the past without time being an issue.That done,I'd make a good 7/8 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I got full marks for it in the mocks, never looked over it. Bluffed my way through Children of Lir, Diarmuid and Gráinne, Gaelscoileanna and Gaeltachts.

Forgot the Irish for swans, so wrote big white birds instead...and that was still grand!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 chas_88

i'm doing these ones:
    rúraíocht
    fiannaíocht
    oidhe clainne uisnigh
    táin bó cuailgne
    aisling / aisling polaitiúil
    an caighdeán
    dán díreach
    dán grá
    an t-amhrán
    an t-amhrán grá
    trí rainn agus amhrán
    béaloideas
    cúirteanna filíochta
    an ghaeltacht
    canúintí
    gaeilge sna meáin chumarsáide
    athbheochan na gaeilge
    polasaí rialtais ó 1921 ar aghaidh

i'd say doing poets could be a waste of time.

Advertisement