Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty new washing machine, accept repair or demand refund?

Options
  • 02-06-2007 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Paid €369 for new washing machine on Monday May 28th, delivered on May 31st, installed on Friday June 1st.

It just doesn't do the the selected progam. first choice was 60 degree was which acording to book is a wash of 2 hours and 5 minutes. This was finished in 35 minutes and clothes were quite wet. (machine has 1100 spin). Then tried to spin them, and a new washing cycle started, then tried to drain and again a new washing cycle started. Contacted retailer who put me on to distributor. I was promised a visit from repair man.

Do I have to accept repair? Am I compromising my rights by accepting visit of repair man?
    Don't want to pass my summer waiting around for visits of repair man.

Should I simply ask for refund?

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

I know someone who had a problem and it turned out to be a problem with how it was installed - a balancing issue or something. If it's not something as simple as that I'd ask for a new machine, washing machines and the like have a short enough life span without starting with problems.

No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong but you are within your rights to demand a new machine as it's literally out of it's wrapper, you do not have to accept fixed or reconditioned goods this early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

datk wrote:
    I know someone who had a problem and it turned out to be a problem with how it was installed - a balancing issue or something. If it's not something as simple as that I'd ask for a new machine, washing machines and the like have a short enough life span without starting with problems.

No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong but you are within your rights to demand a new machine as it's literally out of it's wrapper, you do not have to accept fixed or reconditioned goods this early on.

Assuming the machine is faulty you are entitled to a refund/new machine within 30 days of purchase , after that the supplier is entitled to repair or replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

demand a refund or if you want accept a new one if that's what YOU want , my son recently purchased a new car and the heater matrix was faulty (burning smell coming from it ) he rejected it and demanded his money back and got it within 3 days .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Good stuff, thanks all. I thought I should let the repairman come, have a look, maybe he can fix it. I suppose it's imprtant that all this is done reaasonably promptly as I don't want to overshoot the 30 day return period. I'll get back onto the disributor on Tuesday 5th June, get a fix on when repairman is coming. If that is in a few days I'll wait. Will let you know what develops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Something similar happened to me a few years back and I discovered I had inadvertently pushed the "delicates" button.:o

• Advertisement

@bmaxi: say its more than that. To get the power lights off I have to set the program dial at 40 degrees, only then do the lights go off. The dial has 16 positions marked, but it seems that there is actually no relation between where the dial is and whats happening. Curios myself as to how and if they can fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Has to be a hotpoint!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

could just be something as simple as the dial isnt lined up correctly - maybe an easy fix

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Probably is a Hotpoint actually, 1100 spin? sounds like a HVL211P.

Within 28 days they have to take it back or refund, but after 28 days its a service call.

Should have got a call from service-man yesterday to set up visit. Will try again today, otherewise will be see the retailer tomorrow and ask them to take it back.

The machine is a Zanussi ZWF 112W.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Where did you buy it mind me asking? I selling washing machines for a living and havn't come across a 1100 spin zanussi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Ha! Just got a new Zanussi installed last week. Not sure what the model is but it does exactly the same thing. Won't complete a programme!! Rang them yesterday and they are to ring me back...

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

zanussi have two sides to the programmes -1 side never completes the cycle u manually chose weather to spin or just drain with no spin -this is on all the delicates wash -

:p Stop the, or just my panic:eek: , all seems to be fine . Service man came yesterday at 7PM
    Tails142 wrote:
    could just be something as simple as the dial isnt lined up correctly - maybe an easy fix
    You're right. What put me off was that there didn't seem to be the same number of "stops" or "notches" as there were positions on the dial, i.e. 16. But the dial being mounted wrongly also made it stiffer so that you couldn't sense the stops.
    Irish GrumPy Mod: Halo
    Where did you buy it mind me asking? I selling washing machines for a living and havn't come across a 1100 spin zanussi!
    Just locally, Walsh electircal Tralee.

Side-note. Service-man said he had a big problem with a machine, where all elctroinc parts were burned out. He put it down to power surges. A local who runs a server told me he had put on "Smart UPS" ( Uninterruptable Power Supply" as he was getting surges up tp to Volts 260. New topic: How liable are the ESB for damage caused by power surges??? Probably no nore than County Council is for pot-holes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

buried somewhere in the ESB conditions of supply is the permitted variation % in voltage.

We used to travel around the country looking at drops or overvoltages.

Put it this way if you are out at the end of the sticks - in a farmhouse, you can get some pretty bad voltage spikes.

However if you're sharing the line with something with a bad power factor or recurrent heavy loading then you may have problems....

There's a gang in the ESB who look at this - give them a ring.

@trellheim: thaks for the info. On the same topic. A friend of mine is renting a flat that has a drooped ceiling fitted with what I believe are called projector or reflector type bulbs. Normal voltage, 240. These have what could be loosley described a triangular shape with a mirrored reflector area. Anyway they are constantly blowing. They only last a few weeks before having to be replaced. What is the cause and the cure for this. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

fitzdragon wrote:
    demand a refund or if you want accept a new one if that's what YOU want

while the problems now reslolved for the OP just wanted to point out this is somewhat flawed. the supplier / manufacturer is entitled to send out a repair man to determine there is a fault with the machine and not with the installation. had this argument many a time when i used to work in hotpoint :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

yes but if the machine is seen to be faulty you are entitled to reject it and get your money back or the machine replaced with a new one , my son had a problem with a new car recently (the heater matrix went after 3 days) and he got a full refund back from the dealer .

miju wrote:
    the supplier / manufacturer is entitled to send out a repair man to determine there is a fault with the machine and not with the installation. had this argument many a time when i used to work in hotpoint :rolleyes:

yeah that was sort of my thinking as well. A company representative/repair man would be needed to determine that the achine actually was faulty and should be returned. Thanks all

Advertisement