Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jim McDaid *Brass Neck*

Options
  • 02-06-2007 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

This man is almost beyond parody, the ex-minister and convicted drunk driver
    who did a U-turn and stood for election (sadly winning a seat) has declared he's not feeling loved by his party - "They gave me nothing and I owe them nothing.". Boy thats rich, they should have expelled McDaid from the party and his non retirement screwed-up the FF strategy in the constituency so he should'nt have been looking for support.

Needless to say I'm sure he could be bought off with the speakers chair and/or a nice package (is everyone corrupt or a chancer up there?).

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

Oh my god - look its one of McDaids Balls and its chasing Indiana .. :eek:

Indy1Boulder.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

mike65 wrote:

Needless to say I'm sure he could be bought off with the speakers chair and/or a nice package (is everyone corrupt or a chancer up there?).

Mike.

Where?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 colindkavanagh

I think its hillarious and further makes a mountain out of FFs chances of securing a reliable and stable Govt. They're desperate to get the independents on side with the PD's but all it takes is pissing a couple of them off and the Govt collapses. Its becoming quite clear why Labour now appear uninterested in going into coalition with them, I wonder will another election be beckoning in the next few months. They should have sacked McDaid when the drink driving incident happened, but FF are more interested in sacking councillors for snorting coke which is only really damaging ones self. I'm glad McDaid has repaid them in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

When I first heard this I could barely prevent myself from screaming with delight :D It is ridiculous, but as mike65 said they should have expelled him from the party. I'm very happy to see Fianna Fáil's tolerance of unnacceptable behaviour by their TDs is coming back to haunt them.
    I wonder will another election be beckoning in the next few months
    I can't see us getting a stable government no matter which parties it comprises, there's too many conflicting interests. An election in the next few months might be pushing it, but I don't think the next government will last a full term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Seanies32 wrote:
    Where?

Erm Donegal, yes I know not everyone is on the take, turning a blind eye, bearing false witness, planting fke evidence etc but for the size of the place its sure got a few dodgy elements.

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Erm Donegal, yes I know not everyone is on the take, turning a blind eye, bearing false witness, planting fke evidence etc but for the size of the place its sure got a few dodgy elements.

Mike.

Remind me again, who topped the poll in Waterford?

Must be a lot of high horses in Waterford Mike. What is it you have against Donegal and the NW anyway. It is plain to see on a lot of threads. Something personal is it?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Seanies32 don't read too much into a post or three.

Martin Cullen topped the poll and I'm not aware he's a convicted drunk driver and he did'nt even initiate the electronic voting saga. I no I did'nt vote for him either.

Mike.

Just seemed that you where singling out Donegal there. I'm not defending McDaid at all, but at least he has an opinion on matters. The big reason he ran was to have representation for Letterkenny in the constituency which proved a correct strategy. People could have similar posts about Waterford, eg. Cullen moving to FF and make huge generalisations. What about Tipperary North, Mayo, Kerry South, Wicklow etc. etc.

I would question why his own professional bodies don't censor him, never mind those paragons of virtue in FF. Whats that oath? First do no harm :confused: This was not a lonely old man on the way home from a social pint who happened to be caught over the limit, this was reckless behaviour, borderline sociopath in terms of disregard for other road users.

It was also compounded by the fact he was out with the Tent crew from FF, what does this say about their regard for the great unwashed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

McDaid only went back on his word to stand again in Donegal NE when Niall Blaney joined FF.

• Advertisement

DMC wrote:
    McDaid only went back on his word to stand again in Donegal NE when Niall Blaney joined FF.

And when it was clear Donegal NE wasn't going to have a Letterkenny TD. He got about 17/18% of the vote based on personal reasons as much as party affiliation. I would say a lot of those votes where because he was a good candidate and people had sympathy with his personal circumstances.

Nope, that was not part of his consideration. He wasn't going to "gift" a Blaney his seat, a family he opposed for so long. He may have wanted Blaney's organisation in FF, but on his terms.

Contemporary report and listen to his interview on the News at One there. Not once does he mention Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mike65 wrote:
    on the take, turning a blind eye, bearing false witness, planting fke evidence etc
    You seem to be forgetting Mike that, as in most counties, the Gardaí in Donegal are traditionally from outside the county (usually Mayo, Sligo and Leitrim).

I'm sure Jim McDaid would not have ran if FF had selected another candidate instead of taking a renegade (who had a good chance of re-election) back into the camp.

As others have said, had McDaid not been elected, there would have been no Letterkenny based TD in the 6 Donegal seats (a bit like no Waterford City based TD in the constituency of Waterford).

I'm sure if McDaid had been expelled he would have stood as an indy anyway.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭georgie59

I'd just like to say that I'm from Donegal and am quite honest, resent the remarks made by some (only jesting if I wasn't living here I to would think that all garda werer on the take, apart from the ones my sons happens up on, lost count on the amount of times he has been stopped and had to show lic and insur etc.)

I to think that he should of been expelled from the party, but this is Ireland and I can't beleive how many votes a party gets that runs a health system as bad as it is.

DMC wrote:
    Nope, that was not part of his consideration. He wasn't going to "gift" a Blaney his seat, a family he opposed for so long. He may have wanted Blaney's organisation in FF, but on his terms.

Not a consideration now because he was proved right in why he stood, a Letterkenny TD, because his biggest first preference vote was from Letterkenny, bigger than the other 2 FF candidates and twice the FG vote there. Not defending him, didn't vote for him last time and wouldn't have voted for him now though my boundaries changed but he was by far the most popular candidate in Lk. He had a good point as well, why should a candidate basically be co-opted into FF with a resultant loss of 1 seat to the Govt.
    georgie59 wrote:
    I to think that he should of been expelled from the party, but this is Ireland and I can't beleive how many votes a party gets that runs a health system as bad as it is.

Well says a lot for the opposition who proposed keeping the same system but pumping billions into it to create 2,300 beds which when they where tackled on it they couldn't defend. FF & the PD's came up with the best policies of getting 1,000 beds. Take 1,000 private beds into private hospitals where they are supposed to be.

Seanies32 wrote:
    Not a consideration now because he was proved right in why he stood, a Letterkenny TD, because his biggest first preference vote was from Letterkenny, bigger than the other 2 FF candidates and twice the FG vote there. Not defending him, didn't vote for him last time and wouldn't have voted for him now though my boundaries changed but he was by far the most popular candidate in Lk. He had a good point as well, why should a candidate basically be co-opted into FF with a resultant loss of 1 seat to the Govt.

He may have fought the campaign as "a local TD for local people", in all 166 seats that you have work your own back door well, but fact remains that having the Blaneys back in FF riled him no end, and that was his sole reason for going back on his retirement, then he complains that 3 FF into a 3 seater won't go. He announced it the day after Niall Blaney took the FF whip. That tells you all you need to know.

Working ones patch too well can be to the detriment too. Look at Cecilia Keaveney. Inishowen, a place the size of a few of 3 seater constituencies, has lost its TD. Word on the ground is that she didn't get many votes outside of Inishowen and SF and FG polled well, she didn't hold onto her votes of 2002. Niall Blaney attracted more transfers, and he started behind her on first preferences.

If you think this blood letting is something else, wait for the constituency commission to recommend that Donegal loses a seat and a constituency and becomes a 5 seater.:eek:

DMC wrote:

He should be focusing on his recovery not worrying about Niall Blaney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

the guy is and always has been a vain , narrcistic shameless self promoter

Advertisement