Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Pros and Poetry

Options
  • 02-06-2007 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hey, i was just looking at the exam papers and was wondering something. this might be a stupid question but iv never really taken any notice of the pros and poetry roghnach question, so what's the story with that? :confused: For example, in the pre, we had to do a q. on fiche bliain on how its hard for young people to relate to the story, but in the roghnach q u could it on dirbheathaisneis that gave u an insight into the life of a young person, which is easier. so basically, my question is can u use ur five pros in the pros roghnach section? totally long-winded question!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

no , stick to what ur teacher thought ya

i think its co-incidence that it came up twice

cos u either do roghnach or ainmithe or a mix , you cant do all four

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

AFAIK the Roghnach is only for those who are repeating Irish this year. Everyone else is supposed to do the Ainmnithe section. If you've been learning the Prose, Poetry etc that comes up specifically on Páipéar 2 then you have to do the Ainmnithe section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys! :) knew it was too easy a solution! oh, one more question, totally unrelated to pros and poetry: in the irish aiste, if they ask u something like "Alcohol is one of the biggest problems in Irish society" or something like that, can you say, yes it is a problem but there are others as well e.g. racism, environment, road deaths etc. and go on about them? they surely cant penalise u for disagreeing with the statement. can they? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

E92 wrote:
    AFAIK the Roghnach is only for those who are repeating Irish this year. Everyone else is supposed to do the Ainmnithe section. If you've been learning the Prose, Poetry etc that comes up specifically on Páipéar 2 then you have to do the Ainmnithe section.

well thats wrong , you can do roghnach if you want to

plus , im doing a novel in the roghnach section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 chas_88

blondie07 wrote:
    in the irish aiste, if they ask u something like "Alcohol is one of the biggest problems in Irish society" or something like that, can you say, yes it is a problem but there are others as well e.g. racism, environment, road deaths etc. and go on about them? they surely cant penalise u for disagreeing with the statement. can they? :(

i think they can... if my pre is anything to go by, a few people in my class failed in their essays (and in poetry/prose) just for going off the terms of the question, and what you've said is a prime example of doing that! you'd have to write the whole essay on alcohol. obviously you should branch out, write about what it leads to, like road deaths, etc., but relate everything back to alcohol.

the roghnach thing is actually just texts, plays and poems on some alternative list, that you can study instead of the ainmnithe stuff if you want. don't even think about it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

E92 wrote:
    Reapeating? No, nothing to do with that at all.

In Ceist 2, Prós ainmnithe is the only section you can answer on if you're studying the stories on the liosta próis ainmnithe(ie. the stories in Fiúntas). Prós roghnach is an entirely different, optional course.

In Ceist 3, you must answer one question, and if you're doing Scothscéalta, Máire Nic Artáin, A Thig Ná Tit Orm or An Triail, you must answer on the relative specific section. Again, the "roghnach" questions are a different course and should be avoided unless oyu're sure you're doing the cúrsa roghnach.
    blondie07 wrote:
    Thanks for clearing that up for me guys! :) knew it was too easy a solution! oh, one more question, totally unrelated to pros and poetry: in the irish aiste, if they ask u something like "Alcohol is one of the biggest problems in Irish society" or something like that, can you say, yes it is a problem but there are others as well e.g. racism, environment, road deaths etc. and go on about them? they surely cant penalise u for disagreeing with the statement. can they? :(
    chas_88 wrote:
    i think they can... if my pre is anything to go by, a few people in my class failed in their essays (and in poetry/prose) just for going off the terms of the question, and what you've said is a prime example of doing that! you'd have to write the whole essay on alcohol. obviously you should branch out, write about what it leads to, like road deaths, etc., but relate everything back to alcohol.
    No, they can't penalise you for disagreeing with the statement at all.

What they can do is penalise you for disagreeing with the statement, and then goign off on a tangent unrelated to the title.

For example, if the title is, "Alcól - Fadhb Mhór i Sochaí na hÉireann sa lá atá inniú ann". You can by all means say that you don't consider alcohol to be that big a problem - but that doesn't mean you can start talking about racism and crime. What you can do is talk about how racism and crime are a bigger problem than alcohol, and finish with something like:

"Is fadhb i sochaí na hÉireann í an t-alcól, cinnte. Ach, dar liom, ní hí an fhadbh is mó atá ag an tír seo. Cé go bhfuil drochthionchur ag an alcól ar mhórán daoine, i mo thuairimse is iad an cníochas agus an choir atá mar an dá fhadbh is mó atá againn inniú agus a bheidh romhainn amach anseo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

Thanks everybody, you guys have prevented me making a huge mistake! i get what u mean about the essay, you just have to relate it back to the main topic, and not go spin a totally unrelated yarn. Thanks :)

Also, why is everyone so sure that road deaths is gonna come up? i mean, i have it prepared, just dont want to get my hopes up! actually, while im here, il give ye the list of what iv done and ye can tell me if im covered or if im leaving out something:

Timpisti ar na boithre, coras oideachas, polaiteoiri, timpealleacht, coiriulacht (+ alcol + drugai), mean cumarsaide/techneolaiocht, bochtanas/tiogar ceilteach, saol an mhada bhain ag deagoiri, plus some paragraphs on ciniochas, turasoireach, an coras slainte in case they ask a general question on Ireland. so, any verdicts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 chas_88

blondie07 wrote:
    Thanks everybody, you guys have prevented me making a huge mistake! i get what u mean about the essay, you just have to relate it back to the main topic, and not go spin a totally unrelated yarn. Thanks :)

Also, why is everyone so sure that road deaths is gonna come up? i mean, i have it prepared, just dont want to get my hopes up! actually, while im here, il give ye the list of what iv done and ye can tell me if im covered or if im leaving out something:

Timpisti ar na boithre, coras oideachas, polaiteoiri, timpealleacht, coiriulacht (+ alcol + drugai), mean cumarsaide/techneolaiocht, bochtanas/tiogar ceilteach, saol an mhada bhain ag deagoiri, plus some paragraphs on ciniochas, turasoireach, an coras slainte in case they ask a general question on Ireland. so, any verdicts?

did you go to brú na páirce last summer? i think i did all of those essays there...
    anyway, you've enough in those ones. timpistí ar na bóithre has never come up as far as i know, so it's probably due. timpeallacht came up last year as a díospóireacht, so i doubt it'll be on this year.
    since it was TG4's 10th anniversary on halloween last year (probably around the time they were setting the paper), an essay on it might be a possibility, or maybe a comprehension at least.
    i'm learning one on the importance of sport, and one on violence in sport as well, because sport has never come up as an essay title. violence in sport was one i wrote for a foinse essay competition, and sometimes they take titles from that competition for the leaving cert.

in relation to the penalising, of course they can't penalise you for disagreeing with the statement (they'd probably find it quite interesting), but they'll kill you for irrelevance!

Advertisement