Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing gas fire with real one.

• 02-06-2007 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Bought a new house recently and liked the idea of a gas fire for convienience. Turn out it is absolutely sh1te and i miss the real one. Does anyone know what is involved in taking out gas one and replacing. Do i need to get a gas man out or can i do it myself.

Tips appreciated.

BGG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

You will need to get it disconnected by a gas installer.
    The pipe needs to be properly blanked and the line checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

That answers that. Thanks Brian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Just to continue this thread... my gas fire is a waste of space also.
    The question is... would a fireplace built to take a gas fire have suitable fire-brick and proofing and how can I tell?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,112 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the fire brick you have in a gas fire can make a big difference to the amount of heat you get out of it; i'm not sure of the ins and outs, but i know someone who replaced the fire brick, and gets considerably more heat from the fire as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Ceramic fire bricks give out the most heat for gas fires .

Sometimes a fire can be installed in an oldish house ,where the back boiler use to be. This heat just goes up the chimney.

Be careful if you get a gas fire taken out ,the firebrick thats in might not withstand the heat from a coal fire.

• Advertisement
Advertisement