Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First road bike-Is this a good deal?

Options
  • 02-06-2007 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a bike for training and exercise purposes over weekends and a few evenings a week. Hopefully 20km-30km spins to start with although not sure if my fitness is up to that. :o
    Tbh, I'll never be taking it into town or down the shops, cinema, etc so I can't imagine locking it anywhere outside.

I won't be using it for commuting as I use my moped to get around town.

Gotten loads of info from this forum and am thinking a beginners road bike would be the business though open to a good hybrid.
    Most people are recommending the Specialized Allez or Trek 1000. Went into Cycleways but they didn't have much time for my newbie questions or it seems much interest in my business. :( .

Budget is no more than 1000euro and I'd like the bike and all gear for that.
    Is this a good deal from the Cycle Superstore?
    Other threads haven't been complementry about the bike.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=14952

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

micmclo,

Until recently i was in a similar position and i was exploring the same avenues that you have. Personally I wouldn't go for the deal in cyclesuperstore. Most of your budget should focus on the bike itself, you can always negotiate for some free kit anyway. I got this and a good bit of kit for well under 1000 euro:

http://www.giant-bicycle.com/en-GB/bikes/road/124/28819/zoom/

If you need any more info fell free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

TOTAL PRICE € 1,073
    STARTER PACK PRICE €950
    SAVE €123

That's a crap discount. Some of those items can be got for far cheaper online.

Go ask around some of the other shops and see what they'll through in if you ask quietly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Just to update this thread, I picked up a Trek 1200 from Wheelworx in Clondalkin. It cost 850euro and picked up a helmet and computer at the same time.

Just no comparison between it and that heap of crap I bought for 110euro in Symths toy store and it was a pleasure to cycle back into town from Clondalkin.

Still not used to the brakes though. Almost knocked down a pedestrain who ran across O'Connell St in front of me.
    I'll be avoiding O'Connell St for a while-too many pedestrians running across the road. :mad:

Thanks for advice, especialy Marathan Man.
    Now I just have to organize a training plan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

micmclo wrote:

Just no comparison between it and that heap of crap I bought for 110euro in Symths toy store and it was a pleasure to cycle back into town from Clondalkin.

I always enjoyed answering the 'How much did you spend!?!' question with an offer of a spin. No one who ever had a go of my 5500 needed to repeat the question after 30 seconds on board!

Enjoy the bike, especially with this weather, and remember to build up slowly, and allow rest weeks.

Advertisement