Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave Seaman@Tripod Friday June 15th

• 02-06-2007 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Collective Music in association with POD CONCERTS & 515 PRESENT
    DAVE SEAMAN
    Support: Bob McCarthy

Friday 15th June 2007 @ TRIPOD (Mainroom)/ Doors 11pm
    Adm €20

Advance Tickets Subject to booking fees from usual outlets. Phone/internet bookings subject to extra service charges.
    www.ticketmaster.ie /24hr Hotline 0818 719300

Collective-Music return to Tripod for our second event in our new home. Following on from last month’s outing with Lee Burridge, we are proud to present none other than Renaissance/Global Underground supremo Dave Seaman! For the first time ever, the Therapy Music’s front man takes to the decks in the newly renovated Tripod. Support on the night comes from Collective-Music Resident, Bob McCarthy.

There’s not much Dave Seaman hasn’t done, from DJing at Stella McCartney’s birthday party to presenting programmes for the BBC and being profiled by Channel4 to featuring in a Levis’ ad campaign in Japan. He’s also released over 20 mix albums including the first legally licensed compilation ever (for Mixmag in 1991), 7 for Renaissance, 3 for Global Underground and 3 for his own Therapy Sessions brand. Plus, he was also the man who, as editor for 3 years from 1987 to 1991, turned Mixmag into the clubbers’ bible.

He is remixing royalty, as one half of Brothers in Rhythm (alongside Steve Anderson), having taken the faders for U2, Michael Jackson and David Bowie, and also produced the Pet Shop Boys and Kylie Minogue: “Confide In Me is the thing I’m most proud of,” states Dave. “To be working with Kylie, and to actually write, produce and remix it and see it go on to become an international hit was the most fulfilling thing I've ever worked on.” Brothers in Rhythm were also responsible for one of the first great British house records –Such A Good Feeling – a brash slice of piano heaven that lit up dancefloors and wound up in the Top 20.

Imbued with what Dave laughingly calls ‘artificial enthusiasm’ it was Shelley’s that inspired Such A Good Feeling, which directly led to working with the Pet Shop Boys (Chris Lowe named it his favourite track of the year) and subsequently Dave co-produced ‘Go West’ and ‘DJ Culture’ amongst others. His career duly took off.

Working in tandem with DMC still, Dave’s next step was to incorporate Stress Records, with Mixmag deputy editor, Nick Gordon Brown, and over the best part of the next decade, they released tracks by Sasha, Full Intention, Danny Tenaglia, Andy Cato, Planet Funk and John Digweed. Stress Records was also home to Brothers In Rhythm’s underground offshoot Brothers Love Dubs which demonstrated Dave’s unique ability to skip gainfully between genres, one moment hitting hard with club tracks, the next producing gleaming pop gems for Kylie, but always with an eye on quality control. Despite being one of the most in-demand remixing partnerships, they sensibly turned down many more jobs than they were offered, selecting only songs they really loved; David Bowie, Placebo, U2, New Order, Blur and Sting were all touched with the BIR magic.

In the late ’90s Dave and cohorts finally struck out on their own with Therapy Music, a home for like-minded producers and DJs that has developed into a thriving business both as an underground label (with its eye on greater things), Audio Therapy, and as an agency. “After leaving DMC it was time to do something for ourselves, after being there a long time,” asserts Dave. “The main thing was to be able to start something small but, moreover, to have complete freedom and control.” Thanks to their longstanding links with the Australian scene they’ve helped develop DJs like Luke Chable and Phil K, acts like Infusion and Newcastle’s Lexicon Avenue and have also had played a substantial role in the careers of Slacker, Timo Maas, James Holden and Anthony Pappa.

“Although I knew I wanted to DJ really early on, my biggest dream when I was in my early teens was to get a gig at Casanova's nightclub in Wakefield on a Friday or Saturday night,” chuckles Dave at the memory. “I'd never imagined in my wildest dreams that you could get to travel round the world doing this for the best part of twenty years. I remember saying to my careers officer at school that I wanted to be a DJ and he very kindly suggested, ‘well, I think you should have something as a back up’.” He’s still working on the back up.

http://www.collective-music.com
    http://www.djdaveseaman.com
    www.myspace.com/daveseaman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭C-M

One of the true greats is in Town next Friday(15th)at Tripod and we hope to see a few of you there, He has made so many great Tracks and Mix Cds over the Years and continues to make great music now, Dave Seaman Former gunners legend we salute you .)
    Tripod is the place to be Next Friday.
    cm

Advertisement