Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another DSL filter question.. noise on phone

Options
  • 02-06-2007 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a simple setup with a phone socket in one of my rooms and an ADSL filter (supplied by eircom) to it. The supplied modem router goes into one socket on the filter, and my phone goes into the other.

Broadband speeds are fine. Speedtest is good, though very recently the ADSL connection has been dropping quite a bit in the evening time (though that may be another issue altogether.. :rolleyes: )

Anyways, the thing is, the phone I have hooked up to the filter makes has a load of background noise when using it, lots of hissing in the background, and occasionally I sort of hear noises that remind me of old dial-up modems when I'm on the phone. This ain't normal, right?

Tried another phone on this filter, and same deal. Thought it might have been a dodgy filter, so bought another in PC World, but still the same issue.

Anyone else see this before?

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

sky box , another phone ???

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

Sponge Bob wrote:
    sky box , another phone ???

Nope, just the filter with a phone in one socket and the modem router on the other. Mind you, the actual phone socket in that room is an "extension", coming from the main eircom "box" in the hallway.

I thought this extension cabling could be the culprit, put I tried the filter, phone and modem router in the main socket in the hallway with the same result. Weird. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Had almost the exact same thing with a friend during the week.except his Broadband was down . the very faint modem noise your hearing is the dsl modem...(if you look at the sync light it will flash or blink when the noise occurs). we had to get Eircom out to check the line when they did the noise went...and the Broadband returned..

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

JohnnieM wrote:
    Had almost the exact same thing with a friend during the week.except his Broadband was down . the very faint modem noise your hearing is the dsl modem...(if you look at the sync light it will flash or blink when the noise occurs). we had to get Eircom out to check the line when they did the noise went...and the Broadband returned..

Excellent, thanks for the tip! Will give eircom a buzz to see if they can get it sorted out.

Cheers! :D

Advertisement