Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG/FF Supporters

Options
  • 02-06-2007 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

I just don't get FG/FF supporters.

I was reading somewhere that one FF supporter would like Mary Harney to be in their party, if you support Mary Harney then surely you could give up the old party ties (civil war ties) and vote PD, if that's what you want.

Are FG/FF supporters brainwashed?

Really what I want to know (from FG/FF supporters) is why do you vote for FG over FF and visa-versa?

Also to avoid confussion could people who are supporters answer this question rather then others giving opinions on why they vote the way they vote.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I don't get why you don't vote for Fianna Fáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

The only way I can rationalise a vote for Fianna Fail right now would be in the case of someone in the legal profession who might well be planning on future property investments, yacht purchases and personal jets, all paid for with funds taken from the taxpayers pocket via the inevitable tribunals we have both now and in the near future.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

My main reason for not voting F.F. is broken promises, plus they go into goven with a party that gets the lowest votes, so therefore the votes that the other parties like, greens, fine gael, labour etc get mean absolute f..k all.
    pus as a voter bertie cannot be trusted. if the whole truth about bertie came out before the election would the out come be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

So convince me to vote FF over anyother party, in particular FG.

Show me the difference between these parties. Show me why you vote FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I'm not tied to either, though admittedly I would lean much more strongly towards Fine Gael. I voted Fine Gael over Fianna Fáil in this election because:

1) Public services. Fianna Fáil seems to be of the opinion that managing the country's economy is equivalent to managing the country itself. As far as I'm concerned, it's not. I can't see the point in a strong economy if it doesn't translate into public services that benefit society. For example, it provides jobs, but how far do people have to commute to get to those jobs?

2) Honest politics. I have no faith in the integrity of Bertie Ahern or the rest of Fianna Fáil. Whatever else Fine Gael might be, they are honest (I admit that Lowry was the exception, but it's one exception as opposed to many examples of corruption in Fianna Fáil, e.g. Haughey, Burke, Padgraig Flynn, Beverly Flynn, Lawlor).

3) Arrogance and complacency. Fianna Fáil, from what I can see, are beginning to take being in government for granted. I hate to think what they will be like at the end of another 5 year term. For Bertie Ahern to go on national television and state that the Health Service is not in crisis and that his government should be congratulated for managing it so well is a joke. This is a first world country, and people should not have to run the risk of becoming more ill in hospital than they were when they went in due to a lack of hygiene.

4) The party leader. I realize that I am going against the grain here but I have far more respect for Enda Kenny than for Bertie Ahern. Bertie has built up an apparently convincing public persona of being a common man when in fact he is anything but. In addition, his 'all things to all people' approach, while admittedly instrumental in dealing with the various groups in the North, has seen him buckle time and time again when pressurized by interest groups in this state.

During the debate, Bertie attacked Enda's rollout of free GP visits to children under 5, repeatedly stating that 'no child born today will benefit from this service.' What Enda in fact said was that the service would be rolled out on a phased basis. If it were to be rolled out initially to children two years of age or less, for example, then all children less than two years old now would benefit from the service immediately. Enda did not go into specifics of how it would be done, but the fact remains that Bertie's logic is flawed. And yet common belief seems to be that Bertie is shrewd and Enda is an idiot.

5) Other issues I disagree with FF on. These would include the routing of the M3, refusal to inspect US planes landing at Shannon, the continued storage of electronic voting machines at a cost to the tax payer, the fact that some of their election proposals were nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction to Fine Gael's, the insistence on calling the election on a Thursday, alienating many students (a group who, by pure coincidence I'm sure, have a lower support for Fianna Fáil), and broken promises that leave me, quite frankly, unable to believe a word of what they're promising now.

6) The PDs. I object to a party with such a low support rate effectively running the country, and reckoned a vote for the alliance for change would help put an end to that. The current situation where the PDs appear likely to not only get back into government regardless of whether it's led by FF or FG, but to be guaranteed the Health Ministry again if they do, worries me.

I should probably clarify that I gave my number one vote to Labour on this occasion, and number two to Fine Gael. However, that was heavily due to the Fine Gael candidates in my area being somewhat below par, especially when compared to the Labour candidates, and the pre-election pact between the two parties. I know that the only parties that will ever lead a government in this country are Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael, and would much rather the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

On Health, FF & PD's have the quickest way of getting 1,000 private beds out of public hospitals and putting them into private hospitals where they should be, thus freeing up beds for public patients.

That appeared to have been the only significant policy that differentiated FG/Lab/Greens/SF etc. etc. from the rest. Pump more money to be swallowed up by vested interests to try and create 2,000 beds or actually try and change the system.

It showed how poor FG/Lab policies where that Harney/Lenihan/Bertie actually won any debates on Health.

The only innovative policy on taxation was FF proposals on PRSI i.e. to make people on over €48,000 pay the same as everybody else.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Breezer wrote:
    I'm not tied to either, though admittedly I would lean much more strongly towards Fine Gael. I voted Fine Gael over Fianna Fáil in this election because:

1) Public services. Fianna Fáil seems to be of the opinion that managing the country's economy is equivalent to managing the country itself. As far as I'm concerned, it's not. I can't see the point in a strong economy if it doesn't translate into public services that benefit society. For example, it provides jobs, but how far do people have to commute to get to those jobs?

2) Honest politics. I have no faith in the integrity of Bertie Ahern or the rest of Fianna Fáil. Whatever else Fine Gael might be, they are honest (I admit that Lowry was the exception, but it's one exception as opposed to many examples of corruption in Fianna Fáil, e.g. Haughey, Burke, Padgraig Flynn, Beverly Flynn, Lawlor).

3) Arrogance and complacency. Fianna Fáil, from what I can see, are beginning to take being in government for granted. I hate to think what they will be like at the end of another 5 year term. For Bertie Ahern to go on national television and state that the Health Service is not in crisis and that his government should be congratulated for managing it so well is a joke. This is a first world country, and people should not have to run the risk of becoming more ill in hospital than they were when they went in due to a lack of hygiene.

4) The party leader. I realize that I am going against the grain here but I have far more respect for Enda Kenny than for Bertie Ahern. Bertie has built up an apparently convincing public persona of being a common man when in fact he is anything but. In addition, his 'all things to all people' approach, while admittedly instrumental in dealing with the various groups in the North, has seen him buckle time and time again when pressurized by interest groups in this state.

During the debate, Bertie attacked Enda's rollout of free GP visits to children under 5, repeatedly stating that 'no child born today will benefit from this service.' What Enda in fact said was that the service would be rolled out on a phased basis. If it were to be rolled out initially to children two years of age or less, for example, then all children less than two years old now would benefit from the service immediately. Enda did not go into specifics of how it would be done, but the fact remains that Bertie's logic is flawed. And yet common belief seems to be that Bertie is shrewd and Enda is an idiot.

5) Other issues I disagree with FF on. These would include the routing of the M3, refusal to inspect US planes landing at Shannon, the continued storage of electronic voting machines at a cost to the tax payer, the fact that some of their election proposals were nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction to Fine Gael's, the insistence on calling the election on a Thursday, alienating many students (a group who, by pure coincidence I'm sure, have a lower support for Fianna Fáil), and broken promises that leave me, quite frankly, unable to believe a word of what they're promising now.

All very true and very accurate. You just have to look at BIFFO to see why I choose to support FG over FF any day. He comes accross now as a peroson who could not give a sh*t about the common person and would does not listen to other peoples opinions not matter how wrong he is.

FF bought this election thats how they won it. Dont you think that I was a too much of a coincidence that most SSIA's matured just before the election. :rolleyes: FG does not belive in this sort of thing. FG would rather keep the economy going and make life better for everyone in Ireland and not just the rich as FF seem to favor the rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Elmo wrote:
    So convince me to vote FF over anyother party, in particular FG.

Show me the difference between these parties. Show me why you vote FF.

You're very lazy aren't you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

Seanies32 wrote:
    On Health, FF & PD's have the quickest way of getting 1,000 private beds out of public hospitals and putting them into private hospitals where they should be, thus freeing up beds for public patients.

What’s quickest? - What is that apart from spin? at what cost, who pays? This is going to be the stealth tax that’s makes the rest of them look like chicken feed, but then you re-elected them after those stealth taxes didn’t you anyway. We discussed this before. Why build a second system when the firstly one is not being funded? Private health does not work sir - it is not a commodity, most people need the most valuable health insurance in the last 5 years of their life, will you be able to afford that? If you are a working stiff like most of us, those are the five years of your life you will not be working, how will you pay for this? Do not be so foolish as to assume the cost of private health, which is now based on 'borrowed' beds will remain the same when they start building beds, its going to increase exponentially, and you wont afford it without selling part of your estate for those most valuable last five years. Do your own research, make up an American Social security number and try get a few quotes online, base it on when you are 55, or 65. The people who buy into this vacuous 'Quickest' argument will have years to regret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 joecoote

I'm not a voter for either FF or FG. They are so much the same that to my mind the only difference is in their names. Having said that, I can see why a floating voter might logically vote for either party. Those who have a semblance of social conscience left would have gravitated toward the FG/Labour coalition thinking that Labour would have lent to some balance to a business centric FG agenda. Those who are saddled with a big mortgages and living expenses, and don't give a damn beyond the next credit card bill, would have gravitated toward FF/PD coaltion. These people might not have been happy with FF/PD excesses but are happy enough to gather any scraps to pay for their expensive life styles. With our new US Presidential style election system, these two parties will be the only alternatives for the foreseeable future. The business of Ireland is business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Chakar wrote:

Ah hallo we're waiting for you to answer him.

Chakar wrote:
    Hmmm I dont know that you mean by this. The OP put forward a vaild question. I gave my answer for voting FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

jjbrien wrote:
    FF bought this election thats how they won it. Dont you think that I was a too much of a coincidence that most SSIA's matured just before the election. :rolleyes: FG does not belive in this sort of thing. FG would rather keep the economy going and make life better for everyone in Ireland and not just the rich as FF seem to favor the rich.

You have only realised this now. Any wonder why FG haven't been elected to government in over 25 years with bright sparks like you in the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Chakar wrote:

Either you start participating, stop this borderline trolling or stop posting in politics is that clear.....

mickd wrote:
    You have only realised this now. Any wonder why FG haven't been elected to government in over 25 years with bright sparks like you in the party.
    The topic of this tread is why you choose to vote or support FG. Attacking posters is not a topic. The FF supporters here have still not outlined thier position on why they chose to vote or support FF. They seem to imply negitive posts. FF during the election used this same tactic.

Another reason why I chose to vote FG was when I was badly ill about 4 years ago I approached all the parties FF, Lab, FG and PD's. The only person why was prepared to help me was a FG senator. Without them I possibly would be homeless now. But instead I now have a good job with good pay and can give back to society instead of been a burden on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Chakar wrote:

so in otherwords Fianna Fail have no positive aspects :p:p:p

still waiting for you to tell me what positive and successful thing FF have actually done for this conuntry from a previous thread

AidoCQS wrote:
    What’s quickest? - What is that apart from spin? at what cost, who pays? This is going to be the stealth tax that’s makes the rest of them look like chicken feed, but then you re-elected them after those stealth taxes didn’t you anyway. We discussed this before. Why build a second system when the firstly one is not being funded? Private health does not work sir - it is not a commodity, most people need the most valuable health insurance in the last 5 years of their life, will you be able to afford that? If you are a working stiff like most of us, those are the five years of your life you will not be working, how will you pay for this? Do not be so foolish as to assume the cost of private health, which is now based on 'borrowed' beds will remain the same when they start building beds, its going to increase exponentially, and you wont afford it without selling part of your estate for those most valuable last five years. Do your own research, make up an American Social security number and try get a few quotes online, base it on when you are 55, or 65. The people who buy into this vacuous 'Quickest' argument will have years to regret it.

So are you suggesting the German system, where everybody pays 14% into the Health system?

Look I can understand your concerns. Health insurance doesn't mean much if like my father last year you are stuck on a trolley in Letterkenny General for 12 hours and there is no private beds because they are the isolation units and you have paid Health Insurance for maybe 50 years of your life. The Health system is being funded massively, the current system has had its chance. If the new system frees up a 1,000 beds in the next 5 years well it's worth it.

If private hospitals cherry pick clients well that will free up even more resources in the public system.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

miju wrote:
    so in otherwords Fianna Fail have no positive aspects :p:p:p

still waiting for you to tell me what positive and successful thing FF have actually done for this conuntry from a previous thread

If you think FF have done nothing positive well then what's the point in preaching to the converted?

Smoking ban, minimum wage, no tax on minimum wage, record low unemployment levels...........

Seanies32 wrote:
    If you think FF have done nothing positive well then what's the point in preaching to the converted?

Smoking ban, minimum wage, no tax on minimum wage, record low unemployment levels...........
    FF did also do the following negitive things: Steath taxes which even the poor have to pay, increased vat from 20% to 21%, bin taxes, toll roads, eircom privitation. Increased vat on esb/gas bills from 13.5% to 21%.

FG are in favor to direct taxation and not by stealth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Chakar wrote:
    Are you blind? They've done some good, and some bad, but that didn't mean they were the best choice this time around.

• Advertisement

jjbrien wrote:
    Increased vat on esb/gas bills from 13.5% to 21%.

Where did you get that from?

Look there are more people paying no PAYE/PRSI than ever before, more people paying at the lower rate. If you reduced the VAT Rates, less money would be available to change tax credits, standard bands etc which can be targetted specifically at lower earners. Certain areas of VAT could certainly be looked at eg. utilities are at 5% in Northern Ireland. There are schemes (which certainly can be improved for lower incomes) on bin charges.

Look I'm not saying FF/PD' was a perfect Govt., neither was the rainbow as those with rose tinted glasses think, but they have made huge strides on personal taxation.

If you reduce VAT, abolish bin charges, tolls etc. etc. the old question which every party except SF ignored (ironically) how do we never mind improve but even maintain public service levels?

Getting back to the original post FF and FG got 69% between them. That's the reality. Ob viously to a lot those people there is a difference between them.

To me FF won on the costing of their health proposals, FG & Labour just couldn't seem to back them up. The other one was Cowen saying if there was a economic downturn the first thing to go would be reduced tax rates. Public services would be the last to be affected. There seemed to be very little realism in the alliance for change's proposals and no provisions for downturns.

I voted FG because FF has been in power too long.

For all the wastage and plain screw ups of the government I struggle to find any ministers held accountable.

Dubious planning decisions whether influenced by party contributions or plain corruption has left Ireland with a third world infrastructure and haphazard town planning.

Public service workers have been rewarded with overly generous pay and pensions with no modernisation or change of work practices.

The list goes on and on.
    FF is a tainted party and it reflects badly on Ireland as a whole voting those clowns back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Elmo wrote:
    I just don't get FG/FF supporters.....

There are only two natural governments to chose from- FF and FG/Labour.

FF has not been able to assume it's normal mantle in 20 years due to the dire government provided by Haughey and his protegés. Possibly it will take as long again for integrity to become the norm in FF once more. FG has begun to recover from the melt down of 2002 whilst Labour is struggling to find itself post-Dick Spring.

The other parties don't really matter. The PDs are just continuity FF. If Haughey had not become party leader in 1979 with all the ensuing carry-on, the PDs would never have existed. In fact Mary Harney was once a Fianna Fáiler and she will be again very shortly as soon as she gets around to consigning the PDs to the dustbin of history.

In short people will vote for those parties likely to form the governmnet that suit them. Outside of FF, FG and Labour there really is no one else.

Incidentally I gave FG my No 1 and Labour my No 2 this time out because I felt that Ireland deserves better than FF's shady, sly and devious form of government.
    Chakar wrote:

Charlie Haughey, Liam Lawlor, Ray Burke, Beverly Cooper-Flynn and a Fianna Fáiler who currently cannot adequately explain large deposits into his bank account a few years ago.
    Seanies32 wrote:

Rubbish. They've been in power for 10 years and the Health service is a joke. Even if there were 1000 beds available for public patients there would not be sufficient staf available to care for the occupants.
    Seanies32 wrote:
    The only innovative policy on taxation was FF proposals on PRSI i.e. to make people on over €48,000 pay the same as everybody else.

FF is full of innovative proposals. Do people forget that they've had 10 years in government to implement all these innovations yet all we get is scandal after controversy on top of failure.
    mickd wrote:

FG was in government from 1994 to 1997

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

jjbrien wrote:
    The topic of this tread is why you choose to vote or support FG. Attacking posters is not a topic. The FF supporters here have still not outlined thier position on why they chose to vote or support FF. They seem to imply negitive posts. FF during the election used this same tactic.

Another reason why I chose to vote FG was when I was badly ill about 4 years ago I approached all the parties FF, Lab, FG and PD's. The only person why was prepared to help me was a FG senator. Without them I possibly would be homeless now. But instead I now have a good job with good pay and can give back to society instead of been a burden on it.

Indeed but spouting nonsense like "FF brought the election" deserves scorn or another gem "FG would rather keep the economy going" what does that mean? The help that you got is to do with the person themselves rather than the fact they are a member of FG.

I vote for FF because the greatest economic achievements of this country in the last 20 years were when FF were in power. Apart from the courage and leadership of Alan Dukes, FG have contributed very little. I would say that its not good for the body politic for one party to be in power for so long but if Enda Kenny is the best that FG can muster then its five more years of FF. I have to say the superior attitude and arrogance of FG is striking you would swear they achieved something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Seanies32 wrote:

I'll agree the smoking ban was impressive. Fianna Fáil stuck to its guns and didn't give in to pressure from the vintners. Of course, its also sticking to its guns on decentralisation and not giving in to pressure from civil servants and the general public who can't see the point.

This government is fond of reminding us of its achievements on reducing unemployment from around 10% to around 4%. They usually forget to mention that the Rainbow reduced it from around 15% to around 10% before the Celtic Tiger took off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

mickd wrote:
    I vote for FF because the greatest economic achievements of this country in the last 20 years were when FF were in power.

and was it FF who lay the foundations for this "economic success" they have luckily been in power through or was it someone else :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

miju wrote:
    and was it FF who lay the foundations for this "economic success" they have luckily been in power through or was it someone else :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Ahh I think not. FF supporters have very short memories. Quote from wikpedia about the rainbow goverment from 1994-1997
    This Government's first policy initiative was the introduction of divorce which was ratified in a referendum by a narrow majority. The Government also oversaw the first period of unprecedented economic growth, job creation on a massive scale and Ireland's first budget surplus in over twenty years.

Ah, come on here folks. There's a serious ABFF and a rose tinted glass look at the rainbow here. As the greens called the alliance for ABFF they where FF Lite. Thats a party who was your prospective coalition partners not FF Supporters.
    Look, there's a lot of anti FF spile here based on no substance, just like the alliances manifesto.

First of all:
    jjbrien wrote:
    Increased vat on esb/gas bills from 13.5% to 21%.

WTF? Disinformation, what did ABFF accuse Cowen off ? No party even FF would countenance this. Facts do seem to be a problem for the ABFF.

People are being asked to outline what FF have done and haven't done too......
    ronoc wrote:
    I voted FG because FF has been in power too long.

For all the wastage and plain screw ups of the government I struggle to find any ministers held accountable.

I take your point on wastage/screw ups but there is a lot less in the last 2/3 years. Road contracts are now delivered often below budget and before time. I believe these contracts more than Enda's contract which would have seen him resigning in 5 years time. What Govt. delivers on every promise? Govt. involves decisions and choices when the need arises. As Cowen said when questioned, if an economic downturn occurs, tax cuts are the first to go, public services the last. FG/Lab ignored this. Sure we have Enda's contract, it will never happen :D

FF being in power too long is not a good enough reason to vote them out, the electorate rejected ABFF and FF Lite. Maybe if they had radical differences with FF they might have fared better. And before people say FF got only 42% well PD's got 2 and SF, who where considering FF and nobody else got 6 so that's at least 50%. SF where considering supporting FF for their own reasons , not FF considering SF support.
    Mike86 wrote:
    FF has not been able to assume it's normal mantle in 20 years due to the dire government provided by Haughey and his protegés. Possibly it will take as long again for integrity to become the norm in FF once more. FG has begun to recover from the melt down of 2002 whilst Labour is struggling to find itself post-Dick Spring.
    The other parties don't really matter. The PDs are just continuity FF. If Haughey had not become party leader in 1979 with all the ensuing carry-on, the PDs would never have existed. In fact Mary Harney was once a Fianna Fáiler and she will be again very shortly as soon as she gets around to consigning the PDs to the dustbin of history.

Even die hard FF'ers and Bertie accept an overall majority is extremely unlikely though have got closer than anybody would have expected this time. The only way was up for FG in a competitive election and still they and Lab where 4% behind them. I would have expected with FF being 10 years in power that they should have been equal.

On the PD's thats irrelevant how they where formed. They have been in Govt for not that much shorter than FG! and in a much shorter existence.
    Mike86 wrote:
    Rubbish. They've been in power for 10 years and the Health service is a joke. Even if there were 1000 beds available for public patients there would not be sufficient staf available to care for the occupants.
    FF is full of innovative proposals. Do people forget that they've had 10 years in government to implement all these innovations yet all we get is scandal after controversy on top of failure.

Point taken but the alliance for ABFF was giving us 2,300 and the same finance problems apply.

On tax FF where the only party to actually propose a tax increase, that is people paying PRSI on earnings over €48,000 same as everybody else. Compare that to Labour.

Look, if you can't see the tax changes that have occurred in the last 10 years when the party you gave your No.2 to, could, and where converted to FF/PD policy well......why did you give them a No.2.

Maybe their policy of giving free 3rd level education to the upper classes is a vote for a fairer society. It's so ingrained in Irish society now God forbid the uproar from the Times if it was even suggested that it was changed to favour the socially disadvantaged who don't take 3rd level as granted.
    Mike86 wrote:
    FG was in government from 1994 to 1997
    But not after an election. 1982 was the last time they where elected and even then they had less than FF.
    MikeD wrote:
    I vote for FF because the greatest economic achievements of this country in the last 20 years were when FF were in power. Apart from the courage and leadership of Alan Dukes, FG have contributed very little. I would say that its not good for the body politic for one party to be in power for so long but if Enda Kenny is the best that FG can muster then its five more years of FF. I have to say the superior attitude and arrogance of FG is striking you would swear they achieved something.

Posters on this board say these where all achieved in 3 out of the 20 years and FF did nothing in 17 of them. In fact FG/Lab would say that it all started under them.
    Fair play to Dukes but don't forget McSharry who threatened to resign from a minority Govt. unless we got a grip with our nearly bankrupt finances which where inherited from Dukes/Bruton and yes Haughey.

Look posters on this board have accused Cowen etc. of arrogance.

"Dream on baby" was the most arrogant line of a competitive, open election. Maybe FG took the election for granted, hence the smugness in the last week, whereas FF actually looked at their policies?
    breezer wrote:
    This government is fond of reminding us of its achievements on reducing unemployment from around 10% to around 4%. They usually forget to mention that the Rainbow reduced it from around 15% to around 10% before the Celtic Tiger took off.

What about how McSharry and Reynolds and yes Ahern, who recovered us from near bankruptcy so the rainbow was in a position to balance the books. Jesus I know you's would like to obliterate FF from politics, but they did the state some service.
    miju wrote:
    and was it FF who lay the foundations for this "economic success" they have luckily been in power through or was it someone else rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Well the Rainbow benefited from the foundations laid before that and on and on and on! My God, the arrogance, we owe it all to just 18 (was it even that?) of Govt. out of 85 years!

And I see Wikpedia have ignored the transformation from a failed, bankrupt economy where yes, FF accepted emigration, and everybody else did but wouldn't say it.

Unfortunately previous FF govts. couldn't even dream of budget surpluses, they where to busy paying back our national debt and keeping the World Bank foreclosing on our debt. It's a pity Bono wasn't so vocal on 3rd world debt 20 years ago, we would have been direct beneficiaries.

If FG/lab want to remind us of 10/13 years ago its fair to remind people of what they inherited.

Look FF have been in Govt. for, I'm doing a rough count here, 57 of the llast 75 years. When was the last period of unprecedented growth, oh yeah, Lemass. FG/Lab, if we want to go back in history, have been known to be slump coalitions in their short period in office.

Smugness, that was FG's preserve this time, FF where busy increasing support in the last week. Oh yeah, thats the norm as well, FF lose support in the last few days, well that was another thing proved wrong iin this election!

• Advertisement

I'm exhausted after all that! But listen if FG don't get in the next time after 23/25 years in Govt. you can stop calling this a democracy, and I'll agree with FG/Lab voters :D

Then FF will be the natural party of Govt. FACT!

If Ireland can't have a proper opposition after 23/25 years well we might as well have one party govt., which I don't agree, either FF or FG.

Advertisement