Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative Study

Options
  • 02-06-2007 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

I'm really really worried about this section of the paper. Our teacher never really went properly over it, in fact it was so shocking I left it out of the pre paper entirely.

I got the Shortcuts to success Comparative Study book, but its very complexed in the way you need to read up a lot on it, to get a good grade.

Any tips on what should come up or how to destress about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Don't fret. It's actually the easiest part of the entire English Course...

You barely need to know the texts... just the basic outline.

You can even get full marks without a single quote.

As for the comparisons, well, I'm hopefully doing gen. vision, and they're sometimes just plain childish in their nature... slightly exaggerated example:

---

In story X, character A Dies... this reflects a dark outlook on life.

*Contrastingly,* in story Y, Character B does not die... reflecting a much brighter outlook on life.

or

Willy Loman, at odds with the society in which he lives, is ultimately defeated by it in trying to be successful by adopting its values.

in contrast to Ned Kelly, who fights to the bitter end against the forces of law and order - the authority in his society, though he too is also defeated in the end.

---

Trust me, pick 4 or five points like the location of the stories, the characters' relation to their environment, the plot and the conclusion, take a paragraph for each and just make general statements on each story, and keep saying stuff like "In contrast to" or "Similarly in..."

Make every point so that you can make a corresponding point from the other texts. You're not marked on your knowledge of each text, but how you compare them.

Put it this way; it's the part of the exam where most people gain close to full marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It's not all that hard really. Know one text really well and build your answer on it. Make lots of comparisons and contrasts with the other texts. Points to note:
    -You don't necessarily have to spend the same amount of time talking about each text.
    -Don't just summerise the three texts in seperate paragraphs, devote paragraphs to points of similarity between the three texts.
    -An in depth knowledge of al the texts isn't important(although, as I've said above, it helps to know at least on really well), but you must know the Key Moments, ie. important events/scenes well.

It's the easiest question on paper 2 IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Comparative is the easier of the quetions on paper two, due to the small amount of info needed to answer the question.
    I'm ****ting myself over the bloody single text question moreso, which is easier to "catch" people out on due to the questions nature of required answering.

You just have to know the single text pretty well tbh. The spend 3/4 mins planning points on what's asked and away you go.

I never understand people learning off essays in English as you can write virtually anything you like as long as you back it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Does anyone have a sample essay they can put up for Cultural Context for My Left Foot, Reading in the Dark and Juno and the Paycock even if it related to two of the texts. I mean a real 70 mark sample answer or else goodbye 70 marks next wednesday. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

I'm doing Witness, Girl with A pearl Earring and A slipping-down life.

Lucas10101 wrote:
    Does anyone have a sample essay they can put up for Cultural Context for My Left Foot, Reading in the Dark and Juno and the Paycock even if it related to two of the texts. I mean a real 70 mark sample answer or else goodbye 70 marks next wednesday. :(
    Goodbye 70 marks?

If you made any sort of decent effort you'd get about 40.....

And what if Cultural Context doesn't come up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

some variety here! im going The Witness, Juno and the paycock, lies of silence

Naikon wrote:
    Comparative is the easier of the quetions on paper two,
    Easiest, not easier.

"the easier of two questions"

BUT

"the easiest of more than two questions"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Well, poetry is dissimilar the other two sections so....there you go:D
    I accept however easier is not a "real word":/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭LINKY.V.18

just wondering if most people would agree that general vision is more or less guaranteed to come up since it didn't come up last year and they could hardly run the same two this year,what are yissers thoughts.cos im risking it all on a learned off general vision essay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 originalcupcake

Jay112 wrote:
    some variety here! im going The Witness, Juno and the paycock, lies of silence

same here.

id love is if theme or issue come up...so straight-forward...

Advertisement