Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oh Dear!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Ill-fitting bumpers, bonnet, mirror holderand mirror about to fall off, panels that dont line up properly(a classic Opel problem addmittedly, as anyone who has the 96-02 Vectra will know, the bumpers never seem to be aligned properly on these), chipped bumpers, cracked bumpers, paint fading on front bumper, window on boot door looks to be out of place, (have a look where the dealer sticker is, its to the left of that), wire mesh on back bumper partially fallen off, dented back bumper, boot door seems to have more than one shade of green on it, rusting wheels, front grille not properly aligned, no b-sting aerial, dents on both doors, multitude of colours on bonnet, and lastly a nice big crack just above the rear number plate (total defects = 17) What a dog! No wonder theres no warranty with it and no NCT either. You would want to be insane to buy that car. The dealer should be giving that car away for free, with change to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What a sh1tter. All that and a beast of a 1.2 litre engine under the bonnet!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'm sure there's a typo there:
    He must mean €90 not €900, right? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

needs tidying..no nct...full body kit ,alloys e.t.c ...... being sold to clear --- hence price no warranty...

Madness! Needs tidying? Roffle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

an all that from a photo, whats it like i the clear light i shudder at the thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

At least the dealer has taken pics of the sh1ttyness, instead of getting some chav-in-the-makings hopes up

Have to love the 'No warranty' though.. I wonder why

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the scary thing is it'll sell. Saves some scumbag having to buy crappy Corsa and stick all that tat on himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Standard of modified cars in the US :

modified-car-honda.jpg

Standard of modified cars in Ireland :

coltonmotorsCORGRE781.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

shows you are a big part of the modified scene ned78!, the irish scene has come a hell of a long way, this corsa does not represent the scene at all, this would be laughed at by any real modder.

each to their own i say when it comes to modding, thats as long as the work is done right which you can clearly see this corsa is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

modified cars age so quickly but a 72k '98 modifies corsa for €900. ideal 17yr olds first boy/ girl racers car

• Advertisement

projectgtr wrote:
    shows you are a big part of the modified scene ned78!, the irish scene has come a hell of a long way, this corsa does not represent the scene at all, this would be laughed at by any real modder.

Shows what exactly projectgtr? I can count on one hand the number of actually tasty, and professionally modded cars in Cork. The rest are embarrassing. Yes, there is a decent modifying scene here, but it's only a handful of people who know how to do it properly, and understand that a decent car is the blank canvas they need to finish a showcar. The ratio of Sh*tboxes to Showcars here is at least 20:1

I was highlighting that the fact that the cultures are completely different, and they are. Here, people buy the old boxy corsas, stick vauxhaul badges on them, a big exhaust, an induction kit (Both of which detract horsepower instead of adding if not set up correctly), and of course, the obligatory stupid spoiler you wouldn't see on a 747 on the back. Go to Paris sometime for the modified show there. The culture for modding there is so refined, it makes the scene here look primitive by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

No NCT? I guess I'll have to keep looking... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

nah, them alloys dont do it for me:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I just knew this thread would go down that well worn path.

First up, that dealer has some pair of sphericals taking that heap of shit on to his forecourt in the first place. The price etc., is not really an issue, as sadly, there will be a mongo somewhere that will actually buy it.

Now, the "modders". I don't disregard for a second that there are genuine car modification enthusiasts about the place. I'm delighted that there are, in fact. Let's face it, it makes the world a more interesting place. I may not want my boot filled with woofers and amps, or lambo doors in my ride...BUT, when someone does it, and pulls it off, I recognise it for both the coordinated work that it is, what it means to somebody, and the blood sweat and tears that make it happen.

That said, the sad fact is, that Irish car modders in the pure sense are thin on the ground. There's an E30 "show car" as mentioned on another thread here that's been doing the rounds of cbg etc. for a while now. It's a fine car, and all that, and I won't get into the fact that it has very dodgy arches, one of those ludicrous biscuit tin spoilers, and doesn't have back seats etc., but the owner is going to be out of pocket to the tune of 30k if he manages to sell at all. Very few classic car owners for example could countenance such a loss in such a short term, just as an example.

I am of course aware that depreciation deals a heavier blow annually to premium car buyers all over the country, but that's beside the point tbh. Different demographic, and far higher disposable income.

At the other end of the spectrum, we have this vehicle which by its owners admission in a previous advert, has seen him around the 20k mark including buying the car itself. Personally, I think it's the most hideous thing to ever sit on cheap Korean rubber, but, good luck to him. He's going to lose his shirt, and some of his underwear as well.

The key point here when it comes to the modding scene, as some folk put it, is that this is a rather small island, and whatever the culture of pimping your ride that exists among mostly the under 25s, there is very little to draw from.

Consequently, with a few shining exceptions (which genuinely warm my heart to see), most modding here is a provincial keeping up with the Jones' pursuit, with maximum emphasis on looks, and minimum on mechanical prowess and performance.

We all know its dependant on taste etc., but when you can't sell the bloody things down the line, that has to tell you something.

I won't even enter into the boy racer thing, but will say that I acknowledge that not all modders are speed freaks etc. (damn hard in a 1.1 with 300kg of fibreglass anyway :D), but will happily banter away out of this thread on it if anyone wishes to...

Defend your hobby to the hilt modders, you have every right to.

But. Please don't defend every abomination that attempts to fall under the banner of modification, you're only cheapening the pursuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

great post ^^^^^^^^ fully agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

What do ye think of this lads:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=636436

I suppose not the worst I've seen, but I still laughed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Drax wrote:

I wonder what Apexi mods are on the car, apart from the sicker?

I think we should all just copy and paste RoundyMooney's post in every thread similar to this from now on. Well said!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

^^ lol at the "lady owner" in that Skoda ad. Are those stupid looking eyelids on the headlights legal when they obscure half of the bloody light?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Drax wrote:

I cant understand how so many people cant take a proper photo of the car. The amount of pics of car for sale with the nose or tail cut out of the picture seems unreal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement