Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco selling food 9 months out of date

Options
  • 02-06-2007 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Yesterday when I was doing my grocery shopping, I bought a frozen birds eye stir fry in Tesco Rathmines. When I got home I noticed it was marked "Best before September 2006". Yes, 2006.

I went in again today and looked at the rest of this product in the freezer and they were *all* dated September 2006.

I've complained in this store about seeing another product being out of date and they were so nonchalant, they didn't even apologise.

I'm going to complain to their head office about this but in all honestly, they're just going to send me a voucher and nothing is likely to change. Is there any official body I can inform about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Probably make an official complaint to the Office of the director of consumer affairs: http://www.odca.ie/cfmdocs/c_query/food.cfm

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It could depend who actually puts the stuff in - i.e. was it merchandised by Tesco. This is a fairly regular occurrence in shops and supermarkets and even though staff are "trained" to rotate stock, it tends to be the external companies who best observe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I notice that alot in the Tesco in Rathmines, alot of their products are out of date, sure alot of the bread has actually turned green and its still on the shelves :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Galadriel wrote:
    I notice that alot in the Tesco in Rathmines, alot of their products are out of date, sure alot of the bread has actually turned green and its still on the shelves :eek:

If you see that again, please buy the bread and report them over it. That shop is really disgusting. The staff are rude, they have a terrible selection of items, the place is a mess, and they sell out of date food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

This was on the British TV news recently, Asda have been fine almost £80,000 for selling out of date food:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/south_east/6684295.stm Also the BBC's Whistleblower programme did an undercover investigation into supermarkets about this issue. Tesco and Sainbury's were found to be selling out of date food: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6676345.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Yeah, its so annoying, apart from the out of date stuff the shelves are mostly empty, started going to Dunnes in Rathmines..much better.

Advertisement