Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Python/Django on an Irish Host

Options
  • 02-06-2007 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Does anyone know of an irish host that offers python and the ability to install the Django framework?

Wouldn't be able to afford much more than 10 or 15 euro a month. I've a soho plan with Blacknight at the moment but I'm pretty sure they don't have python installed. I'd prefer to stick with an Irish host if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Django is a custom setup, so I don't think you'll find any of the Irish hosts offering it with their standard plans.

I know we've set it up for a couple of clients in the past, but it wasn't on any of our shared hosting accounts ie. the soho etc.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 roomwithaskew

Fair enough. I understand not every host is going to offer this capability but thought one of the irish webhosts might offer it. There are plenty of international hosts that do http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/DjangoFriendlyWebHosts

I'm probably getting ahead of myself anyway as I've only just begun learning Django.

A lot of the hosts you've listed are offering it on dedicated / VPS / UML or XEN, so it's still not exactly mainstream for shared.

If you're still learning why not just set it up locally to play with?

I have set up Django locally. It was a nightmare to set up on OSX but I eventually found a great tutorial.

I'm in no major rush to get django hosting but I was just interested to know if any Irish hosts offered it as I can see myself wanting this in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭nuada

I have django up and running on digiweb.ie's free student hosting. It wasn't all that hard to do.

http://seamusc.com/

• Advertisement

hey nuada,
    I actually stumbled upon your site before your reply. It's a pity you can't use mod_python or fast.cgi with digiweb but you seem to be getting on ok with django.cgi. I'll keep them in mind but i'm I'm in no rush.

I've been going through the tutorials over the past couple of days. The automatic admin interface is amazing. This is my first time doing any programming, besides tweaking the odd php script here and there, and I don't feel completely out of my depth.

Hopefully with the upcoming 1.0 release Django will take off and more hosts will begin to offer it in their packages.

The django.cgi (and derivatives) implementation would probably work on most Irish hosting companies hosting plans including ours.

The only thing I would be concerned about is the performance aspect:

With traditional CGI, the program which will be run -- in this case, Django plus a Django-powered application -- is loaded from disk into memory each time a request is served, which results in a significant amount of processing overhead and much slower responses. FastCGI and SCGI, in contrast, load the code only once -- when the server starts up -- and keep it in memory as long as the server is running, resulting in much faster responses.
    (http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/ServerArrangements )

blacknight wrote:
    The django.cgi (and derivatives) implementation would probably work on most Irish hosting companies hosting plans including ours.

The only thing I would be concerned about is the performance aspect:

With traditional CGI, the program which will be run -- in this case, Django plus a Django-powered application -- is loaded from disk into memory each time a request is served, which results in a significant amount of processing overhead and much slower responses. FastCGI and SCGI, in contrast, load the code only once -- when the server starts up -- and keep it in memory as long as the server is running, resulting in much faster responses.
    (http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/ServerArrangements )

So ye have python on your shared hosting plans? Would using django.cgi on a non-production site be a liability on a server. I'd be using it purely for experimental purposes. Little or no traffic. If it'd be a problem I'll just host any django development somewhere else. As I said it's not something I'd be looking to sort out straight away, but maybe in the next month or so.

So ye have python on your shared hosting plans? Would using django.cgi on a non-production site be a liability on a server. I'd be using it purely for experimental purposes. Little or no traffic. If it'd be a problem I'll just host any django development somewhere else. As I said it's not something I'd be looking to sort out straight away, but maybe in the next month or so.

You're welcome to give it a try :)

thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Most hosts run python, ourselves included.

Most hosts run python, ourselves included.
    It's installed by default with all the common linux distros. As Yum uses python it would be awkward installing centos without it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Any host who does FastCGI/SCGI should be fine.

Advertisement