Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Big guns in action tonight

• 02-06-2007 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭

Derval O' Rourke, Paul Hession and Anna Boyle are in action in Greece tonight.

O' Rourke goes in the 100m flat where she'll face competition from fellow hurdler Jenny Kallur and our own Anna Boyle.

Hession and Boyle do the 100m/200m double.

Here's the link for results and start lists:
    http://www.kalamata-sport.gr/papaflessia/en/schedule.php

Let the fun begin! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

A nice season openeer for Hession: 10.28 and 20.67 for a double win!!

Yes, Brizzell's and Ryan's 100m record is history. And this is only the start! :eek:

http://www.athletix.org/Results07/Kalamata_out07.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

I apologise, I could have sworn it said on the paper and on Sports tonight that Derval was running at this meeting.

Brilliant news for Paul Hession! A 10.28 national record for a season opener :eek:
    Puts him joint 6th with Gardener on the Euro top 30 and 3rd for the 200m.
    12.00 for Anna Boyle.....she can do better.

Just to add, he now has the 100m B standard for Osaka aswell as the 200m A standard he achieved in Malmo last year.

No mention of Hession's performance on RTE's website or Aertel? :confused:

Slow coach wrote:
    Nope, too busy talking about the rugby friendly, which doesn't matter a crap at the end of the day, to report about a world class national record being set. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Slow coach wrote:

Yay! Tis up now!

Hession breaks Irish 100m record
    Sunday, 3 June 2007 12:56

Paul Hession set a new Irish record for the 100m at the EAA meeting in Kalamata, Greece yesterday.

Link

Note the time stamp. I wonder if my email at 8:55 this morning had anything to do with it? :p
    To whom it concerns,

Yesterday, Paul Hession became Ireland's fastest ever man, clocking 10.28 when winning in Kalamata, Greece.

I just thought this nugget might merit some space on your award-winning website. I doesn't appear to be on Aertel, either. Is that an award-winning service, too? Plenty of up-to-date news on Golf and horse racing and other non-sports.

Yours in the world's largest and most important sport

Whaddya think? Yes, the tone is overly sarcastic, but I'm thoroughly p!ssed off with RTE's Athletics coverage at this stage.

Slow coach wrote:
    Yay! Tis up now!
    Note the time stamp. I wonder if my email at 8:55 this morning had anything to do with it? :p
    Whaddya think? Yes, the tone is overly sarcastic, but I'm thoroughly p!ssed off with RTE's Athletics coverage at this stage.
    Brilliant! You had every right to e-mail with that tone. Aertel's coverage of athletics is a joke. There's only ever athletics news there once in a blue moon. The website seldom has Athletics news either. Fair play to ya! :D

p.s David Gillick is racing in the 400m in Glasgow and it's live on BBC2 soon.

Rineanna wrote:
    p.s David Gillick is racing in the 400m in Glasgow and it's live on BBC2 soon.

Died badly in the last 50, yet still ran 46.33. I think he went too hard in the first 200m. He had X-man Carter on his outside, so that may have been a factor. Still, I hope it's a good experience for him in a race which won't mean much come Osaka.

The conditions were brutal, too, so I'm sure he'll go sub 45 later on.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Didn't they miss two world record performances in successive national championships a few years ago? Didn't the AAI have to get the services of a german broadcaster when a leg of the european cup was hosted in Dublin? RTE's coverage of athletics is beyond dismal for a national broadcaster that charges a license fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

Rineanna wrote:
    Nope, too busy talking about the rugby friendly, which doesn't matter a crap at the end of the day, to report about a world class national record being set. :rolleyes:

I see Network 2 are bringing us like coverage of Brazil V Turkey in a 'friendly' Football match on Tuesday night next - do you expect them to show athletics as well???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

I see Network 2 are bringing us like coverage of Brazil V Turkey in a 'friendly' Football match on Tuesday night next - do you expect them to show athletics as well???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nope, 'coz there's no athletics meetings on Wednesday night. :)

I've absolutely no problem with them showing that match on wednesday....actually it's fantastic to have more live sports on TV. I was referring to Aertel and the website really; the rugby and soccer sections are updated constantly throughout each day but athletics appears once every month or two. Obviously soccer and rugby are much bigger spectator sports then athletics and therefore deserve this attention; I've no problem with them getting this coverage. All I'm saying is that it would be nice to see a couple more mentions of athletics results and news here and there, as opposed to just when the major championships take place or records get set.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Rineanna wrote:
    Nope, 'coz there's no athletics meetings on Wednesday night. :)

I've absolutely no problem with them showing that match on wednesday....actually it's fantastic to have more live sports on TV. I was referring to Aertel and the website really; the rugby and soccer sections are updated constantly throughout each day but athletics appears once every month or two. Obviously soccer and rugby are much bigger spectator sports then athletics and therefore deserve this attention; I've no problem with them getting this coverage. All I'm saying is that it would be nice to see a couple more mentions of athletics results and news here and there, as opposed to just when the major championships take place or records get set.:)

I think what the previous poster means is that they are happy to show friendly soccer internationals not involving Ireland, but they are not prepared to show athletics involving Irish athletes...

But maybe thats not a bad thing if they insist on wheeling out Gerry Kiernan on the panel...

Anyone know if Setanta have the Golden League this year?

Linford wrote:
    But maybe thats not a bad thing if they insist on wheeling out Gerry Kiernan on the panel...

That's a great argument. Can we apply it to Soccer or Rugby? Tell the soccer fans that there'll be no Soccer on RTE coz Dunphy is an annoying twat, or tell the Rugby fans that there'll be no Rugby on telly coz Hook's an irritating grump.

No, I want to watch Athletics and I don't give a sh!te who's on the panel, coz I never pay attention to that part of the program anyway.

Slow coach wrote:
    That's a great argument. Can we apply it to Soccer or Rugby? Tell the soccer fans that there'll be no Soccer on RTE coz Dunphy is an annoying twat, or tell the Rugby fans that there'll be no Rugby on telly coz Hook's an irritating grump.

No, I want to watch Athletics and I don't give a sh!te who's on the panel, coz I never pay attention to that part of the program anyway.

Slowcoach, I was being a little facetious about no athletics being better than athletics with Kiernan on the panel, but I still seriously dislike him and disagree strongly comparing him to rugby panellist Hook and soccer panellist Dunphy.

As you know athletics is hugely different to rugby, soccer and [insert any other sport] in that there are so many different sports under the same banner and having the likes of Gerry Kiernan commenting on the hurdles (nice prediction about Derval minutes before the European final] or the shot put or the pole-vault etc…etc… etc… is akin to George Hook commenting on ice hockey or lacrosse. There are some across the board experts on athletics (look at some of the guys on the BBC) but Kiernan is most definitely not one of them. He is, as was described so eloquently by Nolan in Athens, a marathon runner slash cross-country slogger. It is one thing to have him comment on running events, and he doesn’t have a clue about anything or anyone under 1500m, but to have him comment on hurdles or field events is a disgrace. I am sure there is someone in Ireland who has a broad range of experience at coaching both field and track athletes who RTE can use, but they choose not to, they try and go for the controversial panellist ala rugby, soccer. While I may not always agree with Hook and Dunphy at least they are making comments about sports they know and have played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

www.wcsn.com is a site that shows live (or nearly live) athletics from many of the Grand Priix meets. $4.95 a month, and evrything they show is archived.

They've shown Doha, Seville, Hengelo, Glasgow and will be showing Turin, Lille, Prague, Warsaw

I found out, btw, why Derval didn't run as oplanned in Greece last weekend. She was on Radio 1 y'day morning and she said that she had a niggle in her hamstring or something in that line, so it must have been pre-cautionary move.

She will, however, be opening her season in Stavanger in the 100mh which takes place next wednesday, 13th.

http://www.bislettgames.com/english/index.html

Nice Irish entry for the Bislett on friday. Hession could win.

Boyle 100
    Hession 200
    Nolan 1500
    McGettigan 3000sc
    O' Rourke 100H

And tonight in Stavanger:

Boyle 100m
    Hession 100m
    O'Rourke Hurdles
    McKee 400m
    Campbell 800m
    Kennedy 400m
    Carey 400Hurdles
    Byrne W 800m

http://www.ilskjalg.no/stavangergames/Resultater.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 stpehenmc03

Results from tonights action goes something like this.

Womens 100m
    Anna Boyle 4th
    Womens 100m Hurdle
    Derval o'Rourke 3rd
    Womens 400m Hurdle
    Michelle Carey 1st
    Womens 800m
    Aoife Byrne 10th
    Mens 100m Heat
    Paul Hession 2nd
    Mens 100m Final
    Paul Hession 3rd
    Mens 400m
    Paul McKee 2nd
    Gordan Kennedy 3rd
    Mens 800m
    Dave Campbell 2nd

Stephen

The times in Stavanger were poor for the most part due to high winds.

Womens 100m
    Anna Boyle 4th 12.40 -4.5
    Womens 100m Hurdle
    Derval o'Rourke 3rd 13.69 -3.9
    Womens 400m Hurdle
    Michelle Carey 1st 57.63
    Womens 800m
    Aoife Byrne 10th 2:21.92
    Mens 100m Heat
    Paul Hession 2nd 10.88 -3.6
    Mens 100m Final
    Paul Hession 3rd 10.80 -3.1
    Mens 400m
    Paul McKee 2nd 46.91
    Gordan Kennedy 3rd 47.07
    Mens 800m
    Dave Campbell 2nd 1:48.90

• Advertisement

Slow Coach, excellent information, thank you very much. I was out in the car and tuned to the 2FM and Today FM sports bulletins at 10pm thinking I'd get some results. Didn't even get a mention. The wind readings showed a very windy night. Carey's time in 400h looks good given those conditions.

Gordon Kennedy is in great shape. He is back to the form that got him to Sydney.

Oslo results:

Boyle 100 - 6th 11.84 +0.7
    Hession 200 - 3rd 20.53 +2.5
    Nolan 1500 - 9th 3:45.57
    McGettigan 3000sc - 14th 9:49.35
    O' Rourke 100H - 7th and last finisher 13.19 -0.1

Slow coach wrote:
    Oslo results:

Boyle 100 - 6th 11.84 +0.7
    Hession 200 - 3rd 20.53 +2.5
    Nolan 1500 - 9th 3:45.57
    McGettigan 3000sc - 14th 9:49.35
    O' Rourke 100H - 7th and last finisher 13.19 -0.1

Great run by Hession - Irish record but for the illegal following wind. 2 100m hurdle races - O'Rourke 10th overall as Lamalle and Jenny Kallur ran faster in the second race although the wind reading favoured the competitors in race 2 (+ 0.6 as against - 0.1)

O'Rourke looked very rusty on Friday night, is that her first hurdles race of the season?

Pity the TV coverage didn't show Hession's race. I subcribed to Setanta on Friday evening as I was tired of not seeing any athletics (and they have the Rugby WC). The coverage was pretty average, I wish the BBC could get their hands on the coverage, nobody covers athletics like they do.

Interesting little piece in the Irish Times on Saturday reminiscing about the days of Rosenthal and athletics on ITV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Lacticmonkey

She looked rusty, it was her second race but based on last year you would say she is a championship performer and will come by the time worlds.

Advertisement