Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i.e Domain names

Options
  • 02-06-2007 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Wanted to register my family name for the .ie domain for webhosting, to incorporate a photography business sideline. I checked through the whoisireland.ie search and the name was taken. Out of curiosity I then checked my spouse's maiden name and my mother's maiden name and they were all taken by the same company.

See attached.

% Rights restricted by copyright; http://www.domainregistry.ie/copyright.html
    % Do not remove this notice

domain: browne.ie
    descr: Browne Technologies Ltd.
    descr: BODY CORPORATE (LTD,PLC,COMPANY)
    descr: Corporate Name
    admin-c: DM532-IEDR
    tech-c: VDS9-IEDR
    renewal: 30-September-2007
    nserver: NS1.KALOPA.NET
    nserver: NS2.KALOPA.NET
    nserver: NS3.KALOPA.NET
    source: IEDR

Just pick any common enough Irish surname and soon enough, you will see what I mean.

Does this company have a legitmate right to buy up the .ie family name domains and do what they are doing? Could it ever be considered cyber-squatting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 roomwithaskew

all those addresses point to an email service. you can have whatever@kennedy.ie (smith.ie, moore.ie etc) for 25euro a year.

Seems a bit dodgy alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I didn't think cyber-squatting was possible with a .ie domain ? Were the IEDR on holidays that week or what ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

the person behind it registered companies corresponding to each name so they could register them. They are therefore, perfectly entitled to register those .ie domain names.

The .ie rules as ever, are skewed in favour of anyone that can produce a company registration number or business name number. Private individuals don't get equal treatment.

And that folks, is why the IEDR market themselves as a "premium" "managed" domain registry.....

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

It seems a lot of effort, setting up all those companies just to get the domain names. There are easier ways to get .ie domains without having a ltd company.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

jolly wrote:
    Does this company have a legitmate right to buy up the .ie family name domains and do what they are doing?

Yes. If they own the company Browne Technologies Ltd they are entitled to the domain name
    jolly wrote:
    Could it ever be considered cyber-squatting?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Jolly,

If you do a search on the CRO you'll find that all these companies are dissolved since 2005. Well they are for the few I tried, specifically:

Browne Technologies Ltd (browne.ie)
    Smith Technologies Ltd (smith.ie)
    Murphy Technologies Ltd (murphy.ie)

I think you have a very good case to claim for the domain name since all these companies are dissolved.

Surely a company that goes under cant indefinitely hold on to their .ie domain name, can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Philbert wrote:
    Jolly,

If you do a search on the CRO you'll find that all these companies are dissolved since 2005. Well they are for the few I tried, specifically:

Browne Technologies Ltd (browne.ie)
    Smith Technologies Ltd (smith.ie)
    Murphy Technologies Ltd (murphy.ie)

I think you have a very good case to claim for the domain name since all these companies are dissolved.

Surely a company that goes under cant indefinitely hold on to their .ie domain name, can they?
    Are you sure that these domains were not obtained with one company using a pile of Registered Business Name (RBN) certs? This is how squatters and warehousers tend to abuse the IEDR regs.

Regards...jmcc

Liam Byrne wrote:
    I didn't think cyber-squatting was possible with a .ie domain ? Were the IEDR on holidays that week or what ?
    Tell that to Bebo Liam. :) Or ask Adidas and Nike. Even Ebay and QXL suffered. The big mistake that people tend to make about IEDR is in thinking that the people doing the checking are competent enough to realise that there are glaringly obvious problems with certain registrations - irishindependent.ie for example. And that doesn't even cover typo squats like those targeting Google.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote:
    Are you sure that these domains were not obtained with one company using a pile of Registered Business Name (RBN) certs? This is how squatters and warehousers tend to abuse the IEDR regs.

Regards...jmcc
    Surprisingly they are all limited companies and not RBN’s.

So the guy either a) didn’t realise he could get away with just registering RBN’s and not forming companies or b) wanted to make sure there was no room for other people to make a claim on his domains.

But the fact that all limited companies are now dissolved should force the IEDR to take a claim on one of these domains seriously.

Shouldn’t it?

Philbert wrote:
    Surprisingly they are all limited companies and not RBN’s.

So the guy either a) didn’t realise he could get away with just registering RBN’s and not forming companies or b) wanted to make sure there was no room for other people to make a claim on his domains.
    This is exactly the approach that was used with ebay.ie and qxl.ie. Two separate compnaies (non-trading, I think) were set up in order to prevent these well known brands from getting their .ie domains.
    But the fact that all limited companies are now dissolved should force the IEDR to take a claim on one of these domains seriously.

Shouldn’t it?
    It is a very tricky area of law. I think that the assets of the dissolved company rest with the Minister for Trade/Industry. However they could also have been disposed of in the dissolution. Talk to IEDR about it.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

blacknight wrote:
    jolly wrote:
    Could it ever be considered cyber-squatting?
    No.

It damn well should be :D

All registered to the same guy with a corresponding dot.ie for all that I have tried. Some he didnt bother renewing.

If this is not cyber squatting I dont know what is!

BARRY TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    BRADY SHIPPING LIMITED
    BRENNAN TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    BROWNE TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    BUCKLEY TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    BYRNE TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    CAHILL TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    CARS SHIPPING LIMITED
    CASEY SHIPPING LIMITED
    CONNOLLY TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    CRONIN TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    CULLEN TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    CUNNINGHAM TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    CURRAN TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    DELANEY TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    DOYLE TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    DUFFY TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    FLYNN TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    FOLEY TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    GALLAGHER SHIPPING LIMITED
    HAYES TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    HENRY TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    HICKEY TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    HOGAN TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    KEANE TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    KENNEDY SHIPPING LIMITED
    KENNY TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    KEOGH TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    KING SHIPPING LIMITED
    LYNCH TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    MAGUIRE TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    MAHER TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    MARTIN TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    MCCORMACK TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    MCDERMOTT TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    MCGRATH TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    MCKENNA TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    MCLOUGHLIN TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    MOLLOY TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    MOLONEY TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    MOORE SHIPPING LIMITED
    MORAN TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    OCALLAGHAN TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    OCONNELL TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    ODONNELL TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    ODONOGHUE TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    ODONOVAN TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    ODRISCOLL TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    OKEEFFE TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    OLEARY TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    OMAHONY TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    OREILLY SHIPPING LIMITED
    OTOOLE TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    QUINN TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    SMITH TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    SMYTH SHIPPING LIMITED
    SWEENEY TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    WALSH TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
    WHELAN TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED

Philbert wrote:

It damn well should be :D

All registered to the same guy with a corresponding dot.ie for all that I have tried. Some he didnt bother renewing.

If this is not cyber squatting I dont know what is!
    It is cyberwarehousing. And one of the first major cyberwarehousing events in .ie ccTLD was the Medical Pages fiasco where over 300 medical generics were registered despite their being rules against this. But it did earn IEDR over £15K in registration fees.

This names grab was just another cyberwarehousing event.

Regards...jmcc

There is a very big difference between warehousing and squatting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

blacknight wrote:
    There is a very big difference between warehousing and squatting.

I can see how there could be, but [as in this case] if the individual/organisation has no legitimate use for the names, and has jumped through hoops to set them up just so that no-one else can have them, then it's squatting in my book, done solely so that someone has to go through them if they want the name - essentially what the IEDR was meant to prevent.

Liam Byrne wrote:
    I can see how there could be, but [as in this case] if the individual/organisation has no legitimate use for the names, and has jumped through hoops to set them up just so that no-one else can have them, then it's squatting in my book, done solely so that someone has to go through them if they want the name - essentially what the IEDR was meant to prevent.

If you want to challenge a domain registration then you should learn the difference between warehousing and squatting.

They are two very different concepts

Squats generally infringe on someone else's intellectual property, so the registration of bebo.ie is a squat as it is "passing off" etc.,

When someone grabs a lot of domains then you can consider it warehousing.

You cannot call it squatting.

Advertisement