Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website question?

Options
  • 02-06-2007 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have a few questions to ask and i would be grateful for any help or information anyone can give me.

Bascially i've been asked to build a website for a shop, after its up and running the owner wants me to show him how to update his catalogue, website, pictures, etc?
    at this point i dont envisage him selling over the net just yet, just reply to emails, newsletters and update his catalogue with pictures etc
    is there any program or software where the user could update, edit upload photos of products, to his website without actually knowing any html,asp etc. i.e after im gone!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Link the website to a products database (SQL/Access) and build a front end for the database so that the owner can add and edit products.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

What you are looking for is "content management" software. There are a few free solutions out there, I'm sure google will provide some insight on methods and software.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

cheers for the replies!

i was looking at www.oscommerce.com, would that suffice? basically want to use free software cause im doing this as a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

would anyone know what the best open source cms would be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Link the website to a products database (SQL/Access) and build a front end for the database so that the owner can add and edit products.

A better choice would be the MySQL/PHP combination; more open-source and standards-compliant, avoiding the Microsoft proprietary formats completely, as well as giving you a much larger choice in CMS and shopping cart solutions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭David O'Keeffe

I personally have encountered a little program called CubeCart, and its only had a new version released.

It's free to, thanks to Open Source Licencing.

I'm not trying to plug the company by any means, but on the LinuxSoho package of Blacknight.ie, the "Installatron" -a little free program containing some handy websites for you to use on your own website. CubeCart, along with a number of CMS's and e-Commerce website scripts are yours to use. It's good because they mostly have a one click install- seriously.

These website scripts can be very easy to use, even for those not very familar with the items.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 92 ✭✭alanjgrace

I would recommend Virtua Mart with Joomla as the CMS, very easy to install, use and update with no required coding knowledge by your client. Just fill out the details on the product and save, can integrate with most payment systems too and does all the usual paperwork, packing slips etc.

Advertisement