Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal GFX card convert to External power supply plug (possible?)

• 02-06-2007 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hello all,

Question 2

If it is possible I am getting a ATI 2900 HD card and would like to know if it is possible to convert the plug using a converter cable or something to change this internal PCI-E card so it uses a wall socket power plug directly so it wont use up my internal power supply unit (PSU)? With the cost required for a new PSU I would really prefer this option to just plug it into the mains here in ireland.

The card doesnt have any plugs for an external power unit so im hoping to be somehow able to use the standard connection to the internal PC PSU and change it so it does directly to a wall socket.

please, please help and tell me this will work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Please god tell me you're taking the piss. NO NO NO you cannot plug your graphics card into the wall. For one the cards take a DC supply and your socket is AC. And it way to powerful. It would fry.
    You want to know how you attach your graphics to a power source? ... You buy a PSU with the right wattage and connections thats it thats the only way. Either that or one of those small add on power supplys but they're not cheap either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

You can use something like this:
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08/10/review_fsp_booster_x3/
    but they are a load of ****e. Better of with a second psu.

Advertisement