Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science or Software Development

• 02-06-2007 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭

Currently im a Leaving cert student I'm not 100% sure what I want to be when I graduate, but probably a SysAdmin or Programmer.

Ive been stuck on deciding between UCC's Computer Science course and CIT's Software Development + Networking course, I figured to go wiht UCC as it has the better name although I thought CIT will probably be easier as I already have 5 years programming experience, and already made some popular services such as AFT (http://aft.donutsoft.net).

So I was just talking to a friend from the UK and he said not to bother with a Computer Science course as anyone and his mom can do it, and that you dont need to know how signals go accross CAT5, just how to use it (which does make sense).

From a jobs perspective, which will count more in my favour, Computer science or Software development?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

It is very difficult to say.
    You could be very successful in both areas. It really depends of your motivation and capacity to always strive to become better, and consequently, be recognised as a real professional.

Now programmers are less and less used in Europe because of China and India or even est-european coutries, but still in Ireland there are a lot of .NET/Java job offers. And sometimes I have seen some nice salary packages.

But I would say anything is possible and myself I would recommend you to go for what you love to do, because of my second statement.

Advertisement