Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how to reduce high emissions for nct [cheaply]

Options
  • 02-06-2007 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi

my mother in law sat the nct today and along with other problems (expected)
    it went terrible in emissions 3.0%vol co high idle , 1.60%vol co low idle anything above 0.50% is a fail , it failed all the other emissions as well.

the air filter wasnt changed [it is now] it wasnt changed in 2years will that make much of a differnce?
    now they dont have much money ,not able to get another car. and theres a lot of other problems they have to fix . so my question is sorry its so drawn,
    how can we reduce emissions cheaply ? any ideas ?

thanks in advance

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

there are additives you can buy to temporarily reduce emissions. I think STP do twin pack jobbie. Worked for me a few years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

ASTA20 wrote:
    my mother in law sat the nct today and along with other problems (expected)
    it went terrible in emissions 3.0%vol co high idle , 1.60%vol co low idle anything above 0.50% is a fail , it failed all the other emissions as well.
    Perhaps you could get rid of her in some sort of 'scrappage' scheme, or trade her for a new model?
    :D:D:D

Sorry, I'm a weak person and couldn't resist.

Sensible answers will now resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

she could try cutting down on dairy products if the old emissions are a bit high!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

god this board is so helpfull

sorry Asta i needed to say that, il have a look around for some answers for you. quick question though what car is it (model year etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mind Hunter 85

its ok, the sensible thing would be to trade up but they wouldnt get very much for it without an nct would they,and there just not able to get the money together for something else right now.

its a Toyota Carina E 1996 (1.6 petrol)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

another one i heard, could be urban legend, is give the car a good run before nct, foot to the floor..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

phill106 wrote:
    another one i heard, could be urban legend, is give the car a good run before nct, foot to the floor..

Thats for when you have a PSA diesel and/or always do city driving :eek: Apparantly is true through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

phill106 wrote:

Yeah, that works. I have used that "technique" myself on a few occasions.

Leave it in 3rd gear and drive it at, say, 50 miles an hour. It burns off most of the carbon that can settle in the engine/exhaust and thus reduce your emissions.

Its obviously not something you'd want to be doing everyday, but if you did it just before your car has to be tested, the engine will be so hot that the emissons will almost be zero.

I used this trick on diesel cars, but I would assume it would work on petrol's as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

get it to a garage that has a thingy which plugs into the ecu, that will reveal all

Advertisement