Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

HD Problem

• 02-06-2007 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi, I just picked up a HD TV recently and it has blown me away.. until today? So far I have only used it to play Playstation 3 games, none of which failed to impress me. But when i tried playing a DVD on my PS3 today i was shocked, the picture is crap! I thought it might be because ive connected my PS3 with a HDMI cable. I then connected my DVD player (instead of the PS3) using a standard connection, the picture quality was differant (it looked more 'live' if you know what i mean - almost like a camcorder) but still very poor. Im not really sure whats going on. The TV was bought mainly for gaming so I havent had the chance to connect up any channels to it yet, can I expect the same poor quality picture? Along with the twin HDMI connections there is EXT terminals for a VCR, DVD, PC and a games console (standard connection). So surely it must provide a decent picture for all these, it cant be just aimed at HD equipment. This is just a wild guess but I imagine that the TV is showing the DVD at full resolution (1080p) which the DVD itself cant provide, and so Im getting this 'magnified' version of the DVD, which is then obviously going to be poor quality? Am I wrong?, any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

if its not a HD image expect **** picture even with upscaling dvd players its not great. For the next few months/years it will be that way.

I find the only way to use my HD tv is to output from my pc tv shows and movies from the net that are in the proper resolution, oh and pc games like pro evo in HD via pc :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

I'd guess you've not updated the firmware of the PS3 yet, the latest 1.80 includes a DVD upscaler, up to 1080p, I've a 1080i TV and the picture is much much better for DVDs after the update.

While the upscaled image isn't a patch on HD stuff, it's a lot better than the native DVD picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

it also depends a lot on the type/make of your equipment as well. i have a Panasonic plasma with a pioneer dvd upscaler and the picture from standard DVDs is stunning.

lcd is notorious for being crap on standard definition (SD) stuff. they really do need HD material. plasma can cope better with an SD signal.

moe

Advertisement