Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan McCann

• 02-06-2007 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

As a fresh blow in to Waterford and a Green voter in my previous constituency , I was slightly taken aback to see the animosity towards BmC. Definitely not a defender as I as I have no idea on his actions of a city councillor, but do take it from comments that the hatred seems to stem from possibly retardent planning objections.
    Don't want this thread to descend into a rant . so appreciate a factual summary of his misdeeds rather just a explosion.
    BTW was amazed how he(Green party) polled so poorly , and hence the question.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You only have to search for Brenda McCann (or indeed McCant) to get an idea of how this man has upset the local electorate (and the High Court). He is a serial objecter to anything proposed for Waterford, other than that relating to WIT (where he works).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ya as looksee said, research it. You wont get many civil repsonses when it comes to Brendan McCann. I can give you a general round up of the latest developments objected to;

Extension to a local one story shop,
    Shopping Complexes (some got developed with many changes, others developers wouldnt build because of him),
    New Railway Station (rejected by Council, but he will probably go further),
    Creche,
    Other developments acorss the city.

People have gave out in papers about him - both business men and general individuals. He has become a name very familar to people, and people have a huge dislike as despite the publics requests - he has to object to many of the developments in Waterford (keeping the city well behind) even if the council and several other planning authoritys give the go ahead.

He keeps running for election, and his votes seem to be dropping. His profile has increased and he gets plenty of negative publicity. The press here would portray a dislike of him also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Not trying to play devils advocate, but surely he's not objecting just for something to do, there has to be some basis for the objections with a social benefit in mind. Look at any town in Ireland and we can see prime examples of bad/corrupt planning which had no regards for the population and will take many years to overcome, call me mad but give me a over zealous objector than the corruption that we have seen and will continue to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I think McCann has turned the Electorate down here against the green party. I don't believe that Waterford is anti-green as such. The problem as I see it is that this city lags behind other Irish cities, most of which act as centres for the towns and counties around them. Waterford is slowly starting to catch up and the likes of McCann and merely holding up that progress. McCann makes much of preserving our heritage, culture etc.... (which angers people even more because he is not even from here) and it is certainley true that there is not a town in Ireland that could not be doing more in that regard, however ironically Waterford is better than most, a significant amout of our ancient walls and towers still stand, we all kicked up over the new motorway going over the viking site in Woodstown (note we were not anti motorway, we are pro-motorway, last thing we want to become is a mini-dublin, with traffic choking the city) and some sacrifices have to be made to accomodate that, but I think these days we know better where to draw the line.

Waterford people are a proud people (look at the fanatical support our under-achieving hurling team gets), we are on paper the centre of the region and thus we want to be able to fulfil that role, i.e. better retail (Most of us go the Dublin or Cork for the xmas shopping, why can't we do that here and have people from Kilkenny, Carlow, Wexford, Tipp etc.. do so too ?), better infrastructure, a university, a fully equipped hospital with a radiotherapy unit. Every opportunity we get to bring people to our town we try to take, at least some of us do, hence the Spraoi festival every year, plus we did such a great job of the tall ships that its coming back. Martin Cullen polls well because he is seen to do something for the town, Deasy and his daddy before him poll well because they speak out, rather than actually get anything done (the empty can rattles the most if you ask me), in general these people win out, because other than that for a long time we have been sending lambs like Kenneally to Dail Eireann who have achieved comparitively little for the city in comparison to some of those representing other cities and major towns.

When you put it all together, McCann is seen as bad for this city, to send him to Dail Eireann would in many peoples eyes contribute to wiping Waterford off the map altogether when we are trying to achieve the opposite. He may dismiss the rantings about him on the radio and on sites like this, but ultimately all the messing around he has been doing these last couple of years, no doubt with a view to publicity and thus votes, has been to no avail and he has destroyed his credibility and poisoned the name of the Green party.

Worst of all, I am no fan of FF, progress or not, I possibly would vote for a Green candidate if a viable one with sensible balanced policies that would move Waterford forward came along. The Green party is a non-runner round these parts and will never win a seat or come close as long as McCann is their man. They need to pack him back off to Galway and replace him with someone else.

McCann + Bad for Waterford + Bad for Green Party = Miserable results in the election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

And in response to rasper, yes planning corruption is everywhere. I remember as a kid looking in at the foundations of City Square and what appeared to be a viking city and it was awesome. If you ask me they should have left it open like the Roman Forum ! I remember at the time they were saying they would preserve most of it, put glass floors in parts of the shopping centre etc... In the end, they put a few old bricks in a glass case in the entrance of the car park.

I don't think that would happen on the same scale again, however although your heritage is important, your future is too and sometimes sacrifices have to be made. Ever been to Rome ? They built a main road past the roman forum over part of the remains of (I think) trajans forum. McCann would have gone beserk at that, but the reality is, they preserved most of it and did what they had to do for the people in the city in terms of relieving traffic congestion etc...

I think the planning process in Ireland itself is partly to blame however, I don't mind McCann making suggestions that might improve things, developers tend to try cram as much revenue earning potential as they can into these things and its good to see some social ammenities included etc.. however, McCann is obviously doing something wrong if 98% of the Electorate or something like that want nothing to do with him, despite getting more publicity down here than anyone apart maybe from Cullen. (And one born in this town would be nice too)

Perhaps its the right message, delivered the wrong way, by the wrong man, compounded by the fact that the whole planning process stinks. Put it this way, when I lived in Dublin for a number of years, I would have supported the Greens, I can't stand the corrupt FF old boys network with its brown bag, say no more planning for sale culture, but I can't stand seeing the city I was born in fall further behind the likes of Limerick. Feckin Dundalk is nearly catching up with us at this stage. Dundalk ! Greens yes, McCann no, if you ask me. Trevor Sargent should send us a proper candidate, one that doesn't rejoice in alienating the electorate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭deisemum

Pedantic Paddy would be nothing on McCant. He came out top recently in some report as the person lodging the most planning objections in Ireland. Including government agencies or bodies and business from memory only 3 such organisation topped him. I thing An Taisce was one of them.

Months ago I emailed the twat Trevor Sargent expressing my concerns about the effect McCant was having on the Green Party and I got a snotty and condescesding reply to the effect that if I was that bothered why wouldn't I stand for the Greens then. He didn't reply the the queries that I raised. If that's how the arrogant leader of the Green Party treats people then I'm not surprised that Greens didn't win a seat in Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

my niece had to move her child out of the creche that mcann got closed down in viewmount, it was only next dooor to her and very convenient to drop him off before she went to college and get her mother to collect him before she came home

Then mcann came along, not only does he not llive anywhere near the creche, it was doing him or anyone else any harm, but yet he waded in and got it closed down

Youve got to wonder about the morals of a man, who turfs babies out of a place there familiar with and a place that all the parents had no complaints about, and no one in the surrounding area had any objection to

Absolutely horrible human being tbh

Shin

shinzon wrote:
    my niece had to move her child out of the creche that mcann got closed down in viewmount, it was only next dooor to her and very convenient to drop him off before she went to college and get her mother to collect him before she came home

Then mcann came along, not only does he not llive anywhere near the creche, it was doing him or anyone else any harm, but yet he waded in and got it closed down

Youve got to wonder about the morals of a man, who turfs babies out of a place there familiar with and a place that all the parents had no complaints about, and no one in the surrounding area had any objection to

Absolutely horrible human being tbh

Shin

Makes you wonder why he targeted that creche stating traffic and noise from creche yet he ignored the amount of traffic using the playschool a few doors away from the same said creche nor did he object to the same playschool making more noise than the creche and who also posed more of an accident risk with the playschool children using the green to play on on sunny days. I used to go past the creche most days bringing children to the playschool and there was definitely more noise coming from the playschool than the creche and I'm not complaining about the playschool either. As McCant lives in the same estate I wonder is it a case of NIMBY as his objection said the Viewmount children could use creches in other areas.

Then again the playschool owner lived there but the creche owner lived in another estate. Makes you wonder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭meldrew

The mans a hypocrite , he was on wlr the other morning saying that Marks and Spencer should be locating in the centre of the city failing to mention that he is the major stumbling block to any devolpment big or small in the city centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

We have some serial objectors here in Galway as well,like Waterford, some of those people's concerns are bizzare to say the least. Our Green Party Mayor was hotly tipped to take a seat in the Election until he shot himself in the foot by objecting to the necessary Galway City by-pass on official Mayoral paper.Already there are objections to the proposed new Docklands developement despite no plans being available yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

galwayrush wrote:
    We have some serial objectors here in Galway as well,like Waterford, some of those people's concerns are bizzare to say the least. Our Green Party Mayor was hotly tipped to take a seat in the Election until he shot himself in the foot by objecting to the necessary Galway City by-pass on official Mayoral paper.Already there are objections to the proposed new Docklands developement despite no plans being available yet.

Our hearts go out to you - seriously. But your fellow countyman beggars belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Bards

meldrew wrote:
    The mans a hypocrite , he was on wlr the other morning saying that Marks and Spencer should be locating in the centre of the city failing to mention that he is the major stumbling block to any devolpment big or small in the city centre

also he mentioned the fact that "the Brewary development belongs on the Outer Ring Road, and not in the City Centre"

he is clueless, it is beyone me how someone like him can earn €96,000 per year... then again some of our esteemed politicians earn in excess of a quarter of a million per year and more

Some fair points , however seems to be a fair amount of venom pointed to the fact that he's not "local", seems to have been mentioned here and elsewhere quiet often surely waterford isnt that much of a closed shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its the fact he'd decided to hold us all back, through his obsessions. If he were local he'd be getting in the neck too. That he is a 'blow-in' just adds a bit of insult to injury thats all. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

The Green Party have done themselves no favours whatsoever in Waterford by essentially not considering Waterford a 'city'. Their manifesto included a number of urban measures, such as the possibility of introducing trams, in Dublin and in the other 3 regional cities, Cork, Limerick and Galway, and made no mention of Waterford whatsoever. Furthermore, the Green Party have been critical of the M9 motorway, but have passed no comment on the motorways serving the other cities.

Furthermore, the local candidate, McCann, is an eccentric who is more concerned with his objections than providing Green Party representation in Waterford. He has singularly failed to ensure that Waterford is part of the party's plans.

As an individual, he is obsessive about planning and objecting to anything he doesn't like the look of, which is essentially anything that would look out of place in a medieval city. He has said before on WLR that he thinks that a big centre planned for the city centre would be better on the outer ring road, which is contrary to good planning and Green party policy. Now when a centre is suggested for the outer ring road, he says that it would be better in the city centre. In that case he's right, but essentially he'll make any argument at all in order to get developments blocked. His intentions might be entirely honourable, but the fact is, if his actions were those of an anti-Waterford madman, intent on destroying the city economically, they wouldn't be out of place!

Don't assume that just because people have strong words about McCann that there is automatically another side to the story. Sometimes things are just bad... like cancer or toxic waste.

rasper I don't believe it has anything to do with him not being a local. I too am from Galway and a number of my friends here in Waterford are from other parts and we have no time for the man and it has nothing to do with where he's from but as a result of his excessive objecting.

I just had a glance at this week's Waterford News & Star and saw a comment about him reaching a new low with recent objections.

A while back he stated on wlrfm that it's not just locally in Waterford that he'd submit objections but he'd do it nationwide. I wonder did he object to that eyesore that's GMIT. Personally I think it's an awful eyesore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

rasper wrote:
    Some fair points , however seems to be a fair amount of venom pointed to the fact that he's not "local"

Who said that? The man is a cancerous sore on Waterford City. It don't matter a **** where he is from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

rasper wrote:
    Some fair points , however seems to be a fair amount of venom pointed to the fact that he's not "local", seems to have been mentioned here and elsewhere quiet often surely waterford isnt that much of a closed shop.

Rasper

Make no mistake,any venom directed towards Brendan McCann has NOTHING TO DO with the fact that he is not local.I want to put that one to bed first of all.In fact I personally believe that his supporters have tried to trap people into making "He's only a blow in" type statements in order to discredit their side of the arguement by potraying them as ignorant and insular.It is a credit to people that they have not succumbed to this.

The same could not be said of supporters of McCann.For example my own involvement was questioned because I no longer live in Waterford.Despite being born and raised in the inner city and my parents still residing there.Supporters of Brendan McCann have also accused his opponents of coming from the "well heeled and articulate" in other words people who are well off.Again the truth of this is the complete opposite and to the contrary letters in opposition to Brendan have come from the poorest parts of the inner city.On the other hand if you go to one of McCanns meetings then you will see the "well heeled and articulate" are alive and well and supporting Brendan.

The fact is Brendan McCann is trying to dictate planning policy in Irelands fourth largest City and has no mandate to do so.He is not merely objecting to bad design.There is ample evidence to suggest that he is not experienced enough to justify his actions.His actions have already prevented some major investments in the city.There is fifteen elected councillors on the City council and also a planning department with the necessary qualifications and he is basiclly claiming to know better than all of them.

There is also ample evidence to suggest that he is not entirely forthcoming regarding his motivations.For example he says he is not against all development.Well I personally think he is.Concrete is used on large scale in developments like KRMs and this produces a lot of carbon in its manufacture.I think that preventing this is his real motivation but he will not say so.

Finally his strategic planning knowledge is suspect by the fact that he does not object to development in the neighbouring authorities when there is applications for say Ferrybank or the ORR.Therefore his actions are contributing to car dependency and urbban sprawl.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and Brendan is a classic example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

he has standards and the people that complain about him only have greed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Do you know the first thing about him? Bearing in mind I don't think I've seen your name in this forum too often (if at all).

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Brendan is that you!?!?!

Cause if not my friend, you have a supporter!!!

Party time in your house! :p

(no paper or packaging allowed.. no party hats etc.. they kill trees for party hats).

Lostexpectation... Please please give me one good, considered reason for you to hold that opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

He's the biggest twat and once you hear of an objection going against a building project you know that muppet has put in the objection.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

His standards are wrong.

I complain about him, and im far from greedy. Are you saying that the majority of the electorate for the Waterford area are greedy? If I do recall, he didnt get elected. And, didnt get as many votes either.

Anywho, please - give us a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 valdonican

I felt I needed to get in on this because I don't think the right questions are being asked in realtion to Brendan McCann. (Before I start, I only gave him my third prefrence vote!)

First of all it's not him that halts the building or developments in Waterford, it's the planning system that we have in place that halts these developments. As to whether he abuses the planning procedure, I'm not sure but I do know that developers, politicians and developers have been abusing this system for a long time and anything that Brenadan Mccann may have done to redress the balance is merely a drop in the ocean.

It seems to me that those most voiciferous in their comdemnation of Brendan McCann are primarily interested in profit. Sould we be more interested in quality of life? I'm far too apathetic to even consider sifting through the plans for proposed developments and I can't help but feel if Brendan McCann is an extremist and builders and devlopers are polar opposite extremists, the balance of power still favours the latter but at least the balance is being redressed.

There is a concerted effort to bad mouth Brendan McCann, check out the graffiti down by the water side that was not painted by a teenager or ASBO candidate. Who's spearheading this? In my opinion, thoise with vested business interests. If Marks and Spencers really wantd to set up shop in Waterford surely there's numerous premises they could set up in and what's more important, a city more concerned with profit and the availabilty of over-priced prepared soy bean salads or a city where quality of life is the main concern.

Waterford isn't where it should be economically and in terms of development, does it suit some of those responsible for this situation if Brendan McCann is made the whipping boy for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

rasper wrote:
    As a fresh blow in to Waterford and a Green voter in my previous constituency , I was slightly taken aback to see the animosity towards BmC. Definitely not a defender as I as I have no idea on his actions of a city councillor, but do take it from comments that the hatred seems to stem from possibly retardent planning objections.
    Don't want this thread to descend into a rant . so appreciate a factual summary of his misdeeds rather just a explosion.
    BTW was amazed how he(Green party) polled so poorly , and hence the question.

For me, the simple fact of the matter is that it is wrong that one man with no mandate is having such an influence on the planning system of Waterford city. Especially when he has no qualifications relating to construction. To me his objections is creating the city he claims to be trying to prevent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

So all of the people who complain about him undermining our City's prospects (myself included) "have greed". Your grammar is slightly peculiar, to say the least.

No, butty, they don't. They are sick of seeing a self-appointed, non-elected, moral guardian of the Planning process objecting again and again. Just because he can (as a previous poster put it) doesn't make it right.

He is fast becoming a major threat to potential investment in this City. And for what? To prove a point?:mad:

And he has not objected to ONE development at his employer, WIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Van

I think the moderators should take a close look at some of the comments being made here. If I was Brendan McCann I would have my solicitors take a close look at these boards!!!

Van wrote:
    I think the moderators should take a close look at some of the comments being made here. If I was Brendan McCann I would have my solicitors take a close look at these boards!!!

nothing has been said here that isn't true....

he is a hasbeen wannabe politician and will never, I repeat never get elected until he starts living in the real WORLD.

Just because he has a state guranteed for life pensionable job does not give him the right to ruin other peoples career prospects because he has taken a dislike to certain "buildings" and they way they look. or becasue in his mind there are too big, too high, too small (yes too small.. he has objected to the farran park shop becasue...wait for it... there are not enough car parking spaces)

I will let other people decide if the man in question has all his faculties in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Minfadlek

valdonican wrote:
    what's more important, a city more concerned with profit and the availabilty of over-priced prepared soy bean salads or a city where quality of life is the main concern.

Sure, let's get the city to a decent 'city standard', and then the 'people' who live here can choose what's more important for them :)

• Advertisement

Van wrote:

What has been said that is libellous? Are you Mr. McCann?

Van wrote:
    If I was Brendan McCann I would have my solicitors take a close look at these boards!!!

and those boards, that forum, this forum, that article, this letter, that comment, this sign.... etc, etc. :D

Ye're dead right, let's tar and feather him and run him out of town.

That will improve the main road from Waterford to Dublin, get us new trains to replace the 1960's rolling stock currently being used on the Waterford line, get a new road to the airport and generally improve every facet of Waterford's profit making potential. God knows it was a thriving dynamic city before he came along!

Excuse me while I go empty the feathers out of the duvet..........

valdonican wrote:
    Ye're dead right, let's tar and feather him and run him out of town.

That will improve the main road from Waterford to Dublin, get us new trains to replace the 1960's rolling stock currently being used on the Waterford line, get a new road to the airport and generally improve every facet of Waterford's profit making potential. God knows it was a thriving dynamic city before he came along!

Excuse me while I go empty the feathers out of the duvet..........

as he only objects to developments happening within the administration area of Waterford City Council he has no personal involvement on the Motorway to Dublin as this lies within Counties Kilkenny, Carlow & Kildare, but as a green party member he wants this road stopped.

He is against the re-development/improvement of Waterford Railway Station.

He tried to put a halt to the improved Road to the airport the part that is within the City Boundary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

mad man wrote:
    The fact is Brendan McCann is trying to dictate planning policy in Irelands fourth largest City and has no mandate to do so.

So apart from all the trouble he's creating in Waterford he's trying to dictate planning policy in Derry aswell!? He get's about, I'll give him that!

So apart from all the trouble he's creating in Waterford he's trying to dictate planning policy in Derry aswell!? He get's about, I'll give him that!

Derry is a part of the Republic of Ireland? If you are going to be pedantic at least get your facts right.

• Advertisement

Bards wrote:
    as he only objects to developments happening within the administration area of Waterford City Council he has no personal involvement on the Motorway to Dublin as this lies within Counties Kilkenny, Carlow & Kildare, but as a green party member he wants this road stopped.

He is against the re-development/improvement of Waterford Railway Station.

He tried to put a halt to the improved Road to the airport the part that is within the City Boundary.

Maybe I should make that a little clearer.
    There is more stifling the growth of the city and it's appeal to investors than Brendan McCann. e.g. the quality of the trains and the possibilty of being able to get a seat on one while travelling from Dublin to Waterford is more important than how the station looks, compare our service to the Dublin - Cork route. Yes Bards, he has no involvement with the main Waterford/Dublin road one of the biggest stumbling blocks to development in this area. HGV's carrying raw materials or stock can't pass through Thomastown, hardly McCann's fault, although maybe it's all part of his clever ploy to bring this city to it's knees, actually now that I think of it, if one man can single handedly halt the economic development of a city....
    Is the tarring and feathering still on? Or maybe 'Cancerous sores' should just be burned out? I'll consult Phoenix in the News and Star, he'll know the correct course of action to take in a balanced and politically unbiased manner.

valdonican wrote:
    Maybe I should make that a little clearer.
    There is more stifling the growth of the city and it's appeal to investors than Brendan McCann. e.g. the quality of the trains and the possibilty of being able to get a seat on one while travelling from Dublin to Waterford is more important than how the station looks, compare our service to the Dublin - Cork route. Yes Bards, he has no involvement with the main Waterford/Dublin road one of the biggest stumbling blocks to development in this area. HGV's carrying raw materials or stock can't pass through Thomastown, hardly McCann's fault, although maybe it's all part of his clever ploy to bring this city to it's knees, actually now that I think of it, if one man can single handedly halt the economic development of a city....
    Is the tarring and feathering still on? Or maybe 'Cancerous sores' should just be burned out? I'll consult Phoenix in the News and Star, he'll know the correct course of action to take in a balanced and politically unbiased manner.

Brendan McCann has publicly said that he will do everything in his power to stop the Dublin/Waterford Motorway from being developed.

Train services are improving. New trains are on order and are being manufactured as I write in South Korea and will be on the Dublin Waterford track during 2008

Plunket station is getting a makeover in time for their arrival and increased services.

As you are a newcomer to these boards I will give you the benefit of doubt, but please do a little research before posting

Not much I can say but re-iterate what others have said;-

1) What is being said here about McCann would come under "freedom of speech". Nothing has been said that is untrue, or that can not be backed up in a court of law. McCann can not sue someone for not liking him, or not agreeing to his serial objections. Unless someone says something completely untrue that somehow further damages his image (can it be damaged anymore?) which he himself has damaged - then nothing can be done.

2) Developers come to Waterford to develop. Big shopping complexes get objected to every way possible, even if each planning authority says "McCann, your wrong. Fair enough if something was corrupt locally in the council, but when things go to other authorities who reject him - then that to me, would make McCann out to be a serial objector who disagrees with everyone and everything. He has no interest in Waterford developing, and will do his level best to stop anybody developing anything.

The list has been posted, you can see how minor developments are objected to and how larger developments are also objected.

So, why should Waterford people thank him or love him? Why should we object to a blow-in trying to control what happens in our city? He represents the Green Party in Waterford, and it scares me to think that other Green Party members have the same views, and do the exact same thing.

I'm all for protecting the environment, but im also all for decent development to provide us with services. Furthermore im all for creating of motorways and cleanup of roads etc. and increase in excellent quality public transport (alongside their corresponding buildings). McCann certainly is against all this, and acts like he wishes to go back to horse and cart days living in houses with straw roofs. All this from a Green representative - and the Greens are in negotiations with Final Fail to get into government?! My god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

valdonican wrote:
    if one man can single handedly halt the economic development of a city....

I believe one man is doing well in his attempt..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Derry is a part of the Republic of Ireland? If you are going to be pedantic at least get your facts right.

The original quote didn't mention the Republic. It claimed Waterford is "Irelands fourth largest city" it isn't, Derry is. It's not even the fourth largest in the State (the Republic of Ireland), that particular fourth place honour falling to Galway.

• Advertisement

Good for you if you're only concerned in numerical running order.... :D

Just to clarify - Waterford city is the relevent one in this thread ;) , as I see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I would love to see the Waterford-Dublin rail line double tracked from Kildare on. There is lots of room either side of the track if there were a concerted effort made. All the various councils would need to prob make a concerted effort to concetrate developmet close to the various train stations and towns along the route. A lot easier said than done I know.
    I don't know enough about these things but ball-park I would reckon 1 billion euros pumped into this line would go a very long way. Sadly I can't see this happening anytime soon.

I have to say that after doing a little bit of searching on the man himself and his objections , that I feel the local media seem to have a vested interest in vilifying him, take for example this piece and note the descriptions used.

http://archives.tcm.ie/waterfordnews/2004/09/03/story15538.asp

I'd ask everyone to try and read this piece literally plucked at random and honestly state that this is total unbiased reporting for the good of the community or status quo written trash.

Developers have no greater love of Waterford than of the euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

rasper wrote:
    I have to say that after doing a little bit of searching on the man himself and his objections , that I feel the local media seem to have a vested interest in vilifying him, take for example this piece and note the descriptions used.

http://archives.tcm.ie/waterfordnews/2004/09/03/story15538.asp

I'd ask everyone to try and read this piece literally plucked at random and honestly state that this is total unbiased reporting for the good of the community or status quo written trash.

Developers have no greater love of Waterford than of the euro

Maybe you should research a bit further and perhaps check out the An board Pleanala website.There you will see that Brendan McCann is not only the most prolific objector to developments from Waterford but the whole country as well.

Secondly you are obviously new to the debate.Otherwise you will realise Brendan McCann and his supporters are not adverse to attempting to manipulate the local media themselves.In fact the Newspaper you have quoted have been more than generous to Brendan McCann and his supporters (WCTU included) by providing them with many opertunities to state their case.Opertunities which they have taken advantage of.Therefore its hard to believe that the link you posted was "plucked at random".There has been much water under the bridge since then and much more heated and controversial events.Especially concerning KRM's proposal.

The reality is Brendan McCann;s own views of what is acceptable to the City is totally adverse to the traditional streetscapes and architecture.I am referring to his view that three storey buildings should only be allowed.Also the focus of his objections in the City and completely ignoring what is going on just outside is itself contributing to sprawl and damaging to the centre.This has been already discussed ad nauseum.His supporters such as Seamus Ryan have defended his actions by saying that Waterfords commercial potential has been damaged more by poor access than Brendan McCann's objections.This completely ignores the fact that BMC has objected to the Outer Ring Road,Waterford City Bypass and M9 motorway.He is also not supportive to the upgrade of the WIT to a university.He may be opposed to it on the grounds that it contributes to the current economic model and therfore the consumer society.He may also be opposed to development for the same reason and as I have already said because of the contribution of concrete to carbon emissions.In fact the same people support BMC today that would have supported the dock strke and other strikes almost 30 years ago that devastated the city for a generation and plague us to this day. Galway benefitted from this more than any other place in Ireland.

There is good reason to suspect that BMC's actions are more about the politics of anti-globalisation than just sustainable development.There is nothing wrong with holding such views.However it is wrong to withold them from the public especially if you are running for public office. Its all very well criticizing developers for their "love of the euro".Developers are part of the capitalist economic system that we have and which the vast majority of the country depends on to earn a living.Brendan McCann is not one of these people of course.If the economy does collapse he will still earn almost three times the industrial wage from the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭JMcL

Bards wrote:
    Train services are improving. New trains are on order and are being manufactured as I write in South Korea and will be on the Dublin Waterford track during 2008

Still on a single track, having to wait at Athy for the one going in the opposite direction to pass, and still reversing out of Kilkenny :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭road_high

JMcL wrote:
    Still on a single track, having to wait at Athy for the one going in the opposite direction to pass, and still reversing out of Kilkenny :(

My poiint exactly...I don't think there's much sense in having modern rolling stock on 19th century designed rails! Also annoys me that the far less busy Sligo and Rosslare lines are getting the new carriages before the Waterford line which carries up to 2-3 times more passengers per year as far as I'm aware.

Poor Brendy got all hot and bothered on the radio and made some remarks to the owner of that Centra he keeps objecting to. He has had to issue a full public apology as a result.

Hate that.

(Source: News & Star. Today)

Sully wrote:
    Poor Brendy got all hot and bothered on the radio and made some remarks to the owner of that Centra he keeps objecting to. He has had to issue a full public apology as a result.

Hate that.

(Source: News & Star. Today)

When, where and what happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

mfitzy wrote:
    My poiint exactly...I don't think there's much sense in having modern rolling stock on 19th century designed rails! Also annoys me that the far less busy Sligo and Rosslare lines are getting the new carriages before the Waterford line which carries up to 2-3 times more passengers per year as far as I'm aware.
    :( At least the trains on the Waterford line have the doors outside the carriages, and have enough bathrooms. I'm from Waterford, living in Sligo and I'd rather spend twice as long on the Waterford line as on the Sligo one (it's a dart-style train). I'm not saying the Waterford line doesn't need new carriages and tracks, but don't just blow off the needs of the other lines. More than once I've had to stand from Dublin to Boyle (that's over 100 miles). I've never had to stand from Dublin to Waterford.

*edit* Sorry for the ranting tangent :-) Anyway, BMC = bad, oodles more money being put into Waterford's services and infrastructure = good.

Bards wrote:
    Brendan McCann has publicly said that he will do everything in his power to stop the Dublin/Waterford Motorway from being developed.

Plunket station is getting a makeover in time for their arrival and increased services.

As you are a newcomer to these boards I will give you the benefit of doubt, but please do a little research before posting

Let me simplify further, you seem to be a little blinkered in realtion to this subject, but in the spirit of sharing I'm willing to return the benefit of doubt.

These issues have been a problem long before the advent of Brendan McCann in the City. They should have been addressed years ago. Successive national and local governance has more to answer for than a single citizen using/misusing the planning process that has been developed by local and national authorities.

I'm delighted to read that you deal in facts bards, obviously this means you base your assertion that BMcC has a problem akin to streakers a sporting events on extensive psychological analysis and it's not just casual and thoughtless character assasination.

• Advertisement
Advertisement