Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it illegal to own a handgun in ireland??

Options
  • 02-06-2007 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

Lads no that i would ever go into shooting or anything but is it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

I sincerely hope so.

But I will defer to those better informed as to the exact legal position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Lads no that i would ever go into shooting or anything but is it??

FP,

No, it is not illegal. If you are eligible, then you can own one. Just out of curiosity, why would you not take up shooting, even as a sporting discipline? (Targets etc not hunting).
    I sincerely hope so.

Why?

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

yes perfectly legal , after you have passed in depth security checks from the Gardai , have the recommended security and storage facility's, are a member of an approved target shooting club....have completed safety courses and it's only use is the sport of target shooting:

Where's the harm in that....? It's a sport with a 100% safety record.

If the same controls and restrictions were applied to driving cars I bet the accident rate would dramatically decline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Trojan911 wrote:
    FP,

No, it is not illegal. If you are eligible, then you can own one. Just out of curiosity, why would you not take up shooting, even as a sporting discipline? (Targets etc not hunting).

No I don't no I think my mum and dad think I have an unhealthy obession with guns:D but i suppose shooting on a range would be quite cool I just the whole killing an animal thing would do it for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

No I don't no I think my mum and dad think I have an unhealthy obession with guns:D but i suppose shooting on a range would be quite cool I just the whole killing an animal thing would do it for me
    Something Jaycee left out of the requirements:

If you are not a householder then you need the permission of the householder where you live to store the firearm.

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote:
    Something Jaycee left out of the requirements:

If you are not a householder then you need the permission of the householder where you live to store the firearm.

Very true .. my mistake..!
    I tend to assume that other shooters are of a similar "Vintage" to myself and therefore ....

The other option of course is to just shoot at a target range using "Club guns" probably a good Idea to start with anyway. It also allows some safety training and supervision by proficient shooters . A great way to start into the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

jaycee wrote:
    Very true .. my mistake..!
    I tend to assume that other shooters are of a similar "Vintage" to myself and therefore ....

The other option of course is to just shoot at a target range using "Club guns" probably a good Idea to start with anyway. It also allows some safety training and supervision by proficient shooters . A great way to start into the sport.

An assumption I made myself until I read that line :)

And you're right, most people start into the sport by joining a club, attending a range and taking it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

[
    but i suppose shooting on a range would be quite cool I just the whole killing an animal thing would do it for me

And you dont have to kill anything either!!! Well,bar maybe pieces of paper or bits of flying clay,or animals cutouts made of steel,but they stand up again.

There are many shooters out there who never have shot an animal or would.Our illustrious Mod ,Sparks being one of them;) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There are many shooters out there who never have shot an animal or would.Our illustrious Mod ,Sparks being one of them;) :D
    This is true. And I'm not an extremist on this point either. The thing that hooks many of us in this sport isn't the big bang and the noise or some Freudian mental hiccup, it's the challenge that achieving the required degree of self-control required to hit the ten every time, it's the complete lack of ability for bull****ting yourself that the sport provides - the score right there on the target, there's no getting around it, it's unfailingly honest and there's no subjective human judging your performance - and it's the camaraderie that you get in a group of people pursuing that goal.

Sparks wrote:
    This is true. And I'm not an extremist on this point either.
    The thing that hooks many of us in this sport isn't the big bang and the noise or some Freudian mental hiccup, it's the challenge that achieving the required degree of self-control required to hit the ten every time, it's the complete lack of ability for bull****ting yourself that the sport provides - the score right there on the target, there's no getting around it, it's unfailingly honest and there's no subjective human judging your performance - and it's the camaraderie that you get in a group of people pursuing that goal.

Agreed..100%, well said :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement