Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some DIY Questions

Options
  • 02-06-2007 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Whats the best tool to sand plasterboard walls down with that does not make too much mess? Currently using a orbital type - but makes very bad dust.

I realise I cannot get away from this, surely something is better? Sanding by hand is not an option.

Also - busy converting attic into a room / store. What does planning permission say about this - am I free to make it into a store / room?

Lastly, whats the rules about skylights / ones that open? Am I allowed to put these in without permission? I live in a Semi D for what its worth.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

on the sanding, just use a sanding block if there is not much to do....unfortunately you cannot get away from dust when sanding plasterboard

as far as I know you can convert the attoc without PP, but if you want to use it as a liveable room, it will need a proper stairs. Otherwise when you come to sell you cannot include it as an extra room .... I stand corrected

Skylights....if its to the back you may not need PP but again I stand corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you have not got a whole heap of sanding to do, I recommend the Bosch Ventaro vacuum cleaner/sander.
    I got one from tooled-up.com for about 50 stg remember to buy a good amount of bags if you get one.
    I also used an orbital sander with the door shut, and a big fan to blow the dust out the window.
    Wear a high quality dust mask if you need to do much sanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Thanks for the replies. Realise that the dust will be there, really dont mind cleaning up, however with the spinning sander it gets 'flung' everywhere.

Will look at one of the Bosh units, got a fair bit of work still to do, will be worth getting.

Does it come with the attachment (Small sander)? My jigsaw (Bosch) has a place for a pipe, would it be common fitment to such devices too?

<EDIT> Ok, ordered that, nice that it comes with the attachment. Hopefully will come soon, will continue in the attic for a while instead of sanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

I converted my attic into a living room. I had the nice people from Dublin City Council have a look before the work started. I was told that I could do whatever I liked to the inside of my house without planning permission. I would have to get pp if I was putting the velux windows to the front of the house but it was not needed if the windows were going at the back of the house. Also pp would be needed front or back for a dormer style window.
    Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

jos28 wrote:
    I converted my attic into a living room. I had the nice people from Dublin City Council have a look before the work started. I was told that I could do whatever I liked to the inside of my house without planning permission. I would have to get pp if I was putting the velux windows to the front of the house but it was not needed if the windows were going at the back of the house. Also pp would be needed front or back for a dormer style window.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks, useful information. Had also heard basically that, along with something an earlier poster said that it cannot be classed as a spare room or be counted as an actual room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

If you are planning on using it as a 'room' of any description, barr for throwing a few boxes up etc, you should reinforce or suspend the floor.If you don't you may find your ceiling in the room below develop a sagging and cracking problem.

dubtom wrote:
    If you are planning on using it as a 'room' of any description, barr for throwing a few boxes up etc, you should reinforce or suspend the floor.If you don't you may find your ceiling in the room below develop a sagging and cracking problem.

I am bust flooring it with +-20mm boards that are made for this. Are you concerned about the actual roof tresses that these lay across?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Regarding the attic conversion and the velux windows, you should be aware that if you do this and decide to sell your house then you will have to get retention permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It is possible that Dublin City have some different rules, but my understanding would be that in order to be legal an attic conversion that is to be lived in would have to have appropriate rafters/beams installed - the ones that are part of the roof are not suitable. It would also have to have a suitable staircase/access. Ladder type access and I think some sorts of spiral staircases may not be suitable. If it is for non-residential use, storage for example, these regs do not apply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

if your putting velux windows in always make a provision for a fire escape window ie.a velux that fully opens so you can get out.
    the following link might be of some help with an attic conversion

http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,1657,en.pdf

Thanks.

Anyone have a thumbsuck cost on getting someone to put in 2 standard size velux windows? I think this is something not in my DIY skillset.

Advertisement