Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will hapen to Iraq when the Americans leave?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I just don't see how that can be a practical possibility, even in the next decade. The troops are welcome long-term in Korea, somewhat less so in Iraq. I also don't see the point, the US has facilities in enough Gulf states as it is.

NTM

9/11 was about gettign the troops out of saudi etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

i till wonder if there was no insurgency in germany and japan?

There was, actually (at least, in Germany), but it was smaller, and a lot better handled. I'd have to look up Japan.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Germany had its Werewolves, who sought to resist the Allied occupation. They had no popular backing (indeed they sought to terrorise civilians as a means of keeping them from building a link with the occupiers) and the Soviet forces dealt with them and collaborators very harshly.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Hoops1888

OTK wrote:
    I think the Iranians will invade because nobody will defend them

When was the last time Iran invaded a country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bad bad man

Moriarty wrote:
    I'm missing the part where it says they tried to target Moqtada al-Sadr. You know, the thing that we're talking about here.

I have the feeling that if the Americans wanted Sadr dead, he'd be dead. I've wondered why they let him live and don't have a good answer. How did Gerry Adams go on breathing so long?

• Advertisement

Hoops1888 wrote:
    When was the last time Iran invaded a country?

They have terror cells in Lebanon. Does that count?

http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/012359.php

9/11 was about gettign the troops out of saudi etc
    Wee, that's not what Osama bin Laden said. He mentioned the Palestinian issue, although I suspect he hates all things Western. Even been in London and see the anti-Western propaganda available by the radical Muslims that the Brits are supporting with their taxes?

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/frontpage/seattle_pima1x220041030.pdf
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article685035.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I figure Iraq will go much the same way as Afghanistan. The US will eventually convince the UN to take over most of the responsibility for security. Baghdad will be controlled by the Al-Malik government, and the rest of the country will be run by a bunch of warlords that control various segments. The Kurds wont cecede from the nation of Iraq because they know the Turks would never stand for an independant Kurdistan, and Turkey is every bit as much an ally of the US as the Kurds, meaning they're unlikely to receive much protection in that regard. Like the rest of outlying Iraq, they'll govern themselves without paying too much attention to the centralised leadership.

Eventually things will settle down into the same mundane pattern as Afghanistan. The natives will view the foreign peacekeepers as moving targets, and various militias will take pot-shots at them from time to time. Regional warlords will assume control of the oil industry, and the money they make will mostly be spent on consolodating their power, and expensive foreign guns with which to shoot into the air at weddings. The oil will keep flowing, the Saddams of the previous generation will be replaced by equally as viscious warlords, and the population will remain largely poor and uneducated.

Mission accomplished.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Jihad watch, very impartial source there :rolleyes: . Of course I am sure they mention Israel sponsorship of Christian Phalangist terrorists groups in the Lebanon. I am sure it also condemns that.

Lets look at things the "West" has done. The US and the UK have sponsored terrorism. We know the UK did it up North, the US all over South America. I am not even gonna bother with links, there so well known at this point. Check out Amnesty or Human Rights Watch, I am sure you will find plenty of info there.

We also know that a War of aggression was committed in Iraq by these 2 nations. Now they want to invade Iran, mess up the ME even more than it already is. Dick Cheney keeps trying to link Saddam to 9/11, despite it being debunked. So we are suppose to believe a word that comes from the US or a hopelessly partisan site? Also lets all remember in 2003 the US threatened Iran, and this was when the reformists were running the show. As we know the hawks in Iran soon won an election, I am sure the US's threat helped them a great deal.

Of course now we have the US as much as possible trying to blame there glorious failure on Iran, Syria and eventually I am sure they will blame it on the Iraqi's. Now if they didn't try to do there invasion on the cheap (or finished the war in Afghanistan first) and did it properly, well now they wouldn't be in this mess.

wes wrote:
    Jihad watch, very impartial source there :rolleyes:

Well, if you could ever cite a single lie of bit of misinformation from Jihadwatch, please show me. Of course, you might have Googled the issue and saved yourself some embarassment and realized that that you might find the same information in dozens of major publications, including the BBC, Wikipedia, and the New York Times.

Apologist such as yourself, who are more than willing to turn a blind eye for whatever drives your obsessive hatred of the West, Israel or whatever will probably need a kilo of C-4 up your tailpipe by an al Qaeda thug before you start blaming those who need blaming.

Here in Canada we had an al Qaeda cell plot to kill tns of thousands of people, and why? Hatred of the West, much like yours.

:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

al qaeda cell plot? it was a couple of idiots and some fertiliser, and they were caught (iirc) pretty quickly and without too much bother.

how were they caught? policework, the only way to fight terrorism without spawning more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well, if you could ever cite a single lie of bit of misinformation from Jihadwatch, please show me. Of course, you might have Googled the issue and saved yourself some embarassment and realized that that you might find the same information in dozens of major publications, including the BBC, Wikipedia, and the New York Times.

Apologist such as yourself, who are more than willing to turn a blind eye for whatever drives your obsessive hatred of the West, Israel or whatever will probably need a kilo of C-4 up your tailpipe by an al Qaeda thug before you start blaming those who need blaming.

Here in Canada we had an al Qaeda cell plot to kill tns of thousands of people, and why? Hatred of the West, much like yours.

Oddly enough I never said they lied. Did you read my post? I said they were biased (well I said the following to be exact "Jihad watch, very impartial source there" being sarcastic, no mentioned of them telling lies, just a questions of there partiality.). Please read my posts before pointless accusations about my "hatred" of the West. To reiterated I never said I hated the "West" or said Jihad watch lied about anything.

Also as for Al Qaeda, I am well aware of Al Qaeda and there plots. I never excused them either. Again read my posts. In fact I never mentioned Al Qaeda. Odd you equate not mentioning Al Qaeda with hatred of the "West", I didn't mention evolution either, therefore I must hate dinosaurs or something. Strange you would bring them up at all, I was talking about Iran for the most part.

Also, how am I an "Apologist", where did I turn a blind eye? Questioning some of the things being said about Iran? Considering the last time a nation was accused of sponsoring terrorism and developing WMD's it turned out to be spectacularly wrong. Can you show me proof for Iraqs WMD's or there sponsorship of Al Qaeda despite Bin Laden's hatred of Saddam and his secular regime. So when similar claims are being made of Iran, I am sure they are up for question. Also the US and the UK have sponsored terrorism. Its bear mentioning what with them claiming other nations are doing exactly that. Here is an interview with Noam Chomsky discussing the US's sponsorship of terrorism: http://www.monthlyreview.org/1101chomsky.htm. Just showing that the US has apparently also sponsored terrorism. Bear mentioning I think considering the accusations the US makes.

As for mentioned Israel, they sponsored terrorism in the Lebanon, I was wondering if a site like Jihad watch would mention that. Perhaps they conveniently left that out. It was the first example of a foreign nation I taught of that Jihad watch to the best of my knowledge have never mentioned, who have apparently sponsored terrorism in Lebanon. I should also mention Syria, but then I am sure they mentioned Syria.

You threw out some canned response, odd you didn't address any of the stuff I mentioned about the US and UK being untrustworthy. As for killing, well now the US and UK and brilliantly adept at that. Or have we forgotten UNICEFS reports on half a million children under the age of 5 dieing, the people who came up with the sanctions surprisingly the "West" aka the US/UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Hang on a sec! If people are sceptical of information coming from the U.S., it's only the U.S. that's to blame.....

Given all the lies and mistruths that were used to justify the war, it's only healthy to be able to question whether they're still at it in order to fuel their own agenda [pun partially intended].

As for "turning a blind eye"......it you believe what the U.S. administration trots out to justify their actions, without feeling an urgent need to make sure that it's true, then it's YOU who are turning the blind eye.

You don't need to "hate the west" (or for that matter, the "east") in order to feel the need to question whether we are being told the truth - once bitten, twice shy and all that.

In fact, you could argue that it's only people who are genuinely interested in democracy and what "the west" is supposed to represent who are asking the required questions, since we are the ones who do not want to have warmongering evil dictators doing what they like; that's not what "the west" or "democracy" means, but it's exactly what the U.S. administration - the self-appointed representatives of the free world - are doing.

If questioning the statements of former known liars is required to protect democracy and prevent abuse, in order to protect what "the west" is meant to represent, then so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

"much like yours"...

You comparing him to a jihadist?

Think how much you dislike terrorists yeah.. really think about it.. then imagine they are not "plotting" anymore, imagine they are in your country bombing you with planes, shooting at you with machine guns, kicking in your doors, killing your family members, occupying your country.. how mad would you be then?? would you do something about it?

We're all human, I'm just glad people are slowly waking up to the fact that we in the "West" are just as bad as those we so righteously denounce and depose.

The Americans can always leave Iraq, the foreign fighters can be slowly rooted out.. but the sectarian violence.. neighbour upon neighbour.. that takes much much longer to heal. I would say the country will experience extreme violence for the next decade or two at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

I’d guess the US economy is so dependent on the war, any war, it will continue to pound the middle east until it can convince everybody else to give it a hand restoring order. The world will attempt to apply the MacDonald’s philosophy of interdependence and incorporate Iraq into the global supply network, manly as a concession for steeling there sh*t. America and co will kick back with the spoils for half a decade until they have squandered the lot on more bombs and satellites. Then the only sensible thing for a power crazed corporate ruling class to do is keep the world in checkmate using a proxy war with China, who think it’s a great idea. Meanwhile Iraq gets trampled on by all its neighbours, who fund the different militia groups. Iran teams up with Russia, and North Korea makes some more friends with Africa, who by now are getting on their feet on their own accord, despite all the odds and with no help from anybody. Everybody forgets about it until somebody vaguely remembers something about 9/11 as a space shuttle plough into the international space station and CNN reports a terrorist attack on our freedoms. Iraq is the first to commit troops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Everybody forgets about it until somebody vaguely remembers something about 9/11
    9/11 has nothing to do with the Iraq war, so I'm not sure what you mean....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Hoops1888

Terror cells? Oh you mean Hezbollah the group of people the Israeli army couldn't beat.

They also hold 27.3% of parliamentary seats natonwide some support for a terror group.

They were created to stop the Israeli army and you call them terrorist's? One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter.
    In the majority of the Arab world, Hezbollah is seen as a legitimate resistance organization that has defended its land against the Israeli occupying force, and consistently stood up to the Israeli army

And the EU doesnt even regard Hezbollah as a terrorist organization.

Answer the question when was the last time Iran invaded a country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

Liam Byrne wrote:
    9/11 has nothing to do with the Iraq war, so I'm not sure what you mean....

Oh that, that’s only a minor thing, I’m sure we can get this to stick if we just show a little bit more imaginativeness. I mean it doesn’t matter what is said or whose fault it is really, all that matters is being the biggest show man at the pig trough... ya its all show biz, and money.. lots and lots of lovely money.

Advertisement