Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brock Lesnar debuts in MMA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

eh? thought he was fighting Choi Hong man - what happened to that match?

ah found this on the wiki

"Choi Hong-man was scheduled to face former WWE, IWGP, and NCAA national champion amateur wrestler Brock Lesnar at the combined promotion event K-1 Dynamite!! USA, a major pay-per-view event at the massive Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, on June 2, 2007. [4] However, reportedly due to medical reasons, Choi was denied his California fighter's license on May 23, 2007, putting Dynamite!! USA's main event in jeopardy only 10 days before its scheduled occurance. The California State Athletic Commission has yet to officially confirm Choi's status. [5]Choi was replaced in the fight by fellow Korean fighter Min Soo Kim."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Its kinda weird hearing Bill Goldberg doing commentary on a Lesnar MMA fight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Bit of an anti-climax!

He looks alot leaner than his WWE days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

He destroyed the guy but it was certainly no Choi Hong that he was fighting.I think that Dana white will want to see him beat big names before makes a move to bring brock to the UFC
    It was certainly weird hearing goldberg call this fight as well

fatal wrote:
    .I think that Dana white will want to see him beat big names before makes a move to bring brock to the UFC

I don't think that matters for a guy like Lesnar. They can make money out of him right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I don't think that matters for a guy like Lesnar. They can make money out of him right now.
    They can make money out of him right now only because of his name.
    They will make much more money out of his name and him being a successful fighter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Hopefully his next fight will be against a more credible opponent.

fatal wrote:
    They can make money out of him right now only because of his name.
    /QUOTE]

And thats what they'll do. You don't leave a guy like Brock Lesnar hanging outside of your business. You bring him as soon as you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is that guy in the ring with Lesnar supposed to be a heavyweight? It was like watching a monkey trying to beat up a gorilla.

Well done to Brock though. Good job he didn't attempt a shooting star press.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

I can see Brock turning up in UFC very soon alright. Now is the time as far as Dana White should be concerned. They have a chance to make money out of him NOW! They should take this opportuinity asap just in case Brock's initial win was beginners luck. Who wants to see a fighter that everybody knows is crap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭joe_elway

Don't think they'll rush into bringing Lesnar in yet. They need to maintain the credibility of the sport... not go rushing out to bring in "The Next Big Thing" only to have him get tapped out by some stepping stone. Play it wrong and it could end up like some Vince McMahon stunt gone wrong.

The UFC doesn't need Lesnar right now. If he proves himself, though, then I can see Dana White making an announcement in the middle of the ring during a PPV.

joe_elway wrote:
    Don't think they'll rush into bringing Lesnar in yet. They need to maintain the credibility of the sport... not go rushing out to bring in "The Next Big Thing" only to have him get tapped out by some stepping stone. Play it wrong and it could end up like some Vince McMahon stunt gone wrong.

The UFC doesn't need Lesnar right now. If he proves himself, though, then I can see Dana White making an announcement in the middle of the ring during a PPV.

**** credibility.

Tito versus Ken wasn't a credible fight. We still saw it 3 times. The reason? Lots of people kept paying to see it.

Was putting Randy Couture straight in the main event as the number 1 contender for the UFC heavy weight title credible against Tim Syliva? I don't think so after he lost his last 2 fights at light heavyweight and had lost his 2 previous fights at heavyweight. Screw credibility though. It was Randy Couture and lots of people were going to pay to see him fight.

Is signing Kurt Angle and putting him straight in a main event credible? Hell no but Dana's still talking to him because there's dollar signs painted all over him as there is with Lesnar.

You put crediibiltiy aside when the people really want to see something and hence there is money on the table.

On the other point of UFC not needing Lesnar. You always need draws. Also, I don't think you should hand a guy like Brock to your competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

That was brilliant. I've had complete faith in Brock when he was taking up MMA, as he's gone out and trained in the things he's not used to. He looked very comfortable in the ring, he knew exactly what he was doing. His opponent wasn't the most skilled MMAist, but he's a world class judo fighter who was just overwhelmed

I watched the whole event just there, and when you compare Brock to another guy who was making his debut, Johnnie Morton, the difference is clear. Morton was a big American footballer, but he came out swinging for the fences and didn't look comfortable at all. He got knocked out to a basic punch very quick. Brock's very smart and he did great

On the topic of UFC signing Brock, I'm sure they'll want to do it straight away. If they let him fight for some other promoter, then UFC's competition will be making money where UFC could easily be doing it. If Brock were to win a few more fights, then he might want to stick around with whoever he's fighting for. If he loses, then UFC have lost the opportunity to make as much money as they can

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Brock has signed with the UFC within the next few weeks. They'll throw him in there against some of their top guys so that they can draw the biggest audience they can. I've got no doubt about that at all. And I believe Brock will do very well

The best fight on the card was definitely Melvin Manhoef vs Dong-Sik Yoon. Worth a watch here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x260hv_k1-dynamite-usa-2007-yoon-dong-sik

This whole event was so bad compared to UFC or PRIDE, in terms of production. UFC is always going to get more viewers when their competition has shows like this, which is why Brock should go there. In the first hour and fifteen minutes, there was no more than 3 minutes of fighting. TNA would be proud of those numbers! Goldberg is a great commentator though, he took a few jabs at things he thought were stupid, like them trying to get him to talk about the celebrities who were attending. I can't believe he was so bad on the mic as a wrestler after hearing him commentating a few times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Good to see he's done well out of it. I thought he was gonna bomb miserably.
    So colour me wrong :)

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I would like to see him , eventually, against someone with a tad more talent and experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Everything about that fight reminded me of Mark Kerr.

I expect Lesnar to do very well. To be honest, people saying they want to see him against a more "credible oppenent" gets to me a little. It was his first fight.

Tony Halme. Noe Hernandez. Levon Lagvilava.

Who has ever heard of them? They were the first fights for Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell and Fedor Emelianenko in MMA. I think we can agree all three of those men made their mark on the sport. The simply fact is that it's MMA. Everyone starts somewhere. Skills need to be learned, slow advancements made in order to create a long lasting and clever career.

Personnally I would like to see Brock work his way up, as opposed to step in with the big boys and get nothing from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

fatal wrote:
    He destroyed the guy but it was certainly no Choi Hong that he was fighting.I think that Dana white will want to see him beat big names before makes a move to bring brock to the UFC
    It was certainly weird hearing goldberg call this fight as well

Hong Man Choi is a nobody in MMA. He's not experienced and possess no skill whatsoever. Het gets by in k-1 because of his extreme height.

If Brock fought him and beat him, it wouldn't say anything anyways. Brock needs to beat someone with experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It was a good start but it's premature to be jumping the gun on his prospects in MMA just yet. We'll be better able to assess his capabilities when his opponent has more skill and experience.

Advertisement