Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bmw 728

Options
  • 03-06-2007 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

I am a fan of the jetex exhaust backboxes (quiet but boomy at the same time) and am planning to buy a 728(e38) and get one of these exhausts backboxes for it. Except that jetex just make the backbox for the 328(e36) and the 528(e39).

I think that the same engine is used in all of these so I was thinking of fitting the 5 series or 3 series backbox to the 728. Would this damage the engine or cause it to fail?

I think from realoem that there are two manifolds and two backboxes so I would probably have to buy two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

The engines in the 328/528 and 728 are the same which is the M52 engine, but wouldn't guarantee the exhausts are

I had a 523i and got the full exhaust system from a 528 and put that on mine without any problems. The cat & back box were a totally different style on the 528 exhaust but it didn't give any trouble. I just had to change the heatshield over the cat section as it was a slightly different shape

This is what the 528 exhaust will look like
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DD52&mospid=47544&btnr=18_0243&hg=18&fg=20

Is this what you are after?

It looks different to the one on the 328 though
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CD12&mospid=47447&btnr=18_0236&hg=18&fg=20

and looking at the 728 exhaust...its different again (2 examples)
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GE22&mospid=47508&btnr=18_0380&hg=18&fg=20
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GE22&mospid=47508&btnr=18_0231&hg=18&fg=20

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Why would you go for that straight 6? It's great in a smaller car, but you kinda need a substantial V8 oommph grumble in a big car! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

poverty

poverty

Doesn't make sense to me ;)

If you're poor you don't go about getting yourself a BMW 7-series, no matter how old / cheap to buy. A same condition, same year 728 costs the same roughly as a 740. The latter typically has a lot higher spec. There wouldn't be much difference in insurance, or tax. In relation to maintenance, I'd bet on the V8 to be cheaper. There's no Nikasil issue on the '96 and later V8, where there is an issue with the 6L until '98 or so. And the V8 typically has an easy life, even in a car this size

Yes the V8 would use more petrol, probably about 10-30% more depending on your driving style / mix. But then, if you do a big mileage, driving an old petrol 7-series is madness

• Advertisement

Maybe you are right. But for some reason, the insurance is wild on the 740 for me compared to the 728. I want a blck one preferably but they seem to be more expensive. I want to spend money darkening the windows, nice wheels, 4 tailpipes at the back and a roof spoiler for the back window.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I want a blck one preferably but they seem to be more expensive. I want to spend money darkening the windows, nice wheels, 4 tailpipes at the back and a roof spoiler for the back window.
    If you add the cost of those mods to the amount by which they will devalue the car, I think you may find that you could insure a 740i for less.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Maybe you are right. But for some reason, the insurance is wild on the 740 for me compared to the 728. I want a blck one preferably but they seem to be more expensive. I want to spend money darkening the windows, nice wheels, 4 tailpipes at the back and a roof spoiler for the back window.

Please, please think twice about the 4 exhausts and the roof spoiler. I & other folks I know think these kind of mods look naf.

I am a fan of the jetex exhaust backboxes (quiet but boomy at the same time) and am planning to buy a 728(e38) and get one of these exhausts backboxes for it. Except that jetex just make the backbox for the 328(e36) and the 528(e39).

I think that the same engine is used in all of these so I was thinking of fitting the 5 series or 3 series backbox to the 728. Would this damage the engine or cause it to fail?

I think from realoem that there are two manifolds and two backboxes so I would probably have to buy two.

The answer seems to be to cut off the existing exhaust tips at the back of each silencer and weld on some new tips, then cut out a 2 holes in the valance and lower the boxes untill the tips protrude at the right height. Saves the cost of two new mufflers even if I could find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Eisenmann do an exhaust that will fit straight on with no messing... better quality than Jetex, although they're alot more expensive as a result. You can choose your sound level as well...they sound great on the straight 6.

• Advertisement

I want to spend money darkening the windows, nice wheels, 4 tailpipes at the back and a roof spoiler for the back window.

Are you serious? Please tell us you are taking the mick?

Why would you spend money on a very good, but a bit underpowered car to make it look like a skanger banger boy racer crapmobile? :o:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

unkel wrote:
    Are you serious? Please tell us you are taking the mick?

Why would you spend money on a very good, but a bit underpowered car to make it look like a skanger banger boy racer crapmobile? :o:confused:
    drug dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Noooooooo!!!!!

bmw_7er_umbau_8454-b.jpg

Now that is what I'm talking about!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭123

albeit an m7 doesnt even exist it doesnt look too bad to be honest
    better than a "pimped to teh max" Micra
    And by pimped to the max i mean a cheapo exhaust muffler from argos, cheapo DIY paint job and cheapo crappy bodykit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

123 wrote:
    albeit an m7 doesnt even exist it doesnt look too bad to be honest
    better than a "pimped to teh max" Micra
    And by pimped to the max i mean a cheapo exhaust muffler from argos, cheapo DIY paint job and cheapo crappy bodykit.

and the cheapo plastic fin on the roof :D

M7 Alpina? :rolleyes:

Perhaps an Altezza is better suited to OPs taste? ;)

Advertisement