Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hit F6 to Install Third Party Raid Drivers, or not, whatever.

• 03-06-2007 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I'm installing windows XP onto a machine that has SATA Hard drives and no floppy drive.

So I hook up a usb floppy, and load the drivers for it that way, but for some reason it wont let me copy them across to the HD. It will read them and let me know they are the right ones but when installation time comes they refuse to budge. Anybody else have this problem?

Things I have tried
    • Using different USB ports
    • Downloading the drivers again
    • using a different floppy

Things I'm gonna try
    • Install onto an IDE HD then ghost to the SATA
    • temp fit a floppy drive to load the drivers.

These are a bit fiddly though, is there something obvious and a bit easier that I could try before I waste my time on installing hardware.

Any suggestions welcome thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I'd say that fitting the temporary floppy drive is the least trouble.

The other common approach is to build a slipstream CD.
    Last time I did this I used the nLite tool, but that depends on you having another working machine spare with about 2Gb of free space, XP CD and CD burner. No less awkward than the other methods that you've mentioned.
    http://www.nliteos.com/download.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The best solution is to slipstream the drivers into the installation source - i.e. use nLite to build your own XP install CD with the SATA drivers already on it. You can also use this to add service pack 2 as well.

www.nliteos.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I have an older PC so Ill give the nlite thing a go, I wasn't aware it allowed that.

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Seems to be a great product, thanks for the link guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

That worked a treat, it still confuses me why the USB floppy refused to transfer, but such is the mysteries of the PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Poor 'oul XP. If you have a relatively early copy, I would guess that it was having conflicts with itself in terms of USB and floppy drivers.

Newer install disks with XP SP2 have some SCSI/SATA support added in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Yeah usually USB floppy drives won't be recognised at Windows boot up.
    The device itself has to emulate a real floppy drive, which is rarely the case.
    Some USB keys have floppy drive emulation, which is a great feature sometimes.

Advertisement