Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

owning an Irish credit card abroad

Options
  • 03-06-2007 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭

I'm currently living abroad, have been for a few months and probably will be for a while more. I have an Irish credit card, with AIB, which is registered to my parents address in Ireland so they get my bills.

I'm afraid that if I change my address to my foreign address it may be a breach of T&Cs, or maybe will get hit with extra charges or something.

Then I think maybe if I do I will get away with not paying the yearly stamp duty on the card.

It would make it easier for me to have it registered to my foreign address, save me phoning the parents every month to see how much my minimum payment is, and save me missing the minimum payment which I have done a couple of times.

Anybody here know the rules surrounding this, or have experience of having an Irish Visa card abroad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Not sure of the breach of terms and conditions. You could always ask them. Don't think you would get away with not paying the stamp duty unfortunately!

But, to solve your problem, why don't you use your internet banking? Not only can you view your statement anytime you want, you can also use it to pay your bills! Also, I don't understand how you missed your minimum payment - I thought you would have had to set up a Directdebit to cover this when you first applied for your card? If you haven't, then I would suggest setting one up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

I am going to set a direct debit up.

I tried to set up internet banking before but as I only have a credit card with AIB and not an actual bank account it got a bit messy and ended up not being set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You can give them an address abroad. It's never been a problem for me.

As for stamp duty, I do have a vague recollection of it being waived in certain circumstances if the account is registered abroad. Can't remember what they are though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I've done it befor with no problems BUT when my card stopped working (magnetic strip was scratched or somesuch) they refused to send the replacement card to my American address. I closed the account after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

BuffyBot wrote:
    You can give them an address abroad. It's never been a problem for me.

As for stamp duty, I do have a vague recollection of it being waived in certain circumstances if the account is registered abroad. Can't remember what they are though.

I've had no problems having an Irish card in the UK, and also as it's for an address in the UK the Stamp is not applicable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement