Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaking doorseal; remedies...?

Options
  • 03-06-2007 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Well with the incessant rain this weekend, my 106 has sprung a leak and I've put it down to a bad doorseal. Unfortunately it's on the driver's side and the water is pooling at the base of the pedals.
    From what I can make out there is a notch in the bodywork under the doorseal that seemingly allows gathering water to escape, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be doing that....instead the water is gathering in the groove between the outer and inner seal and where it overflows, is then streaming into the driver's foot well.
    Anyone come across a problem like this? Is DIY fixable? As always any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

do you mean the seal on the body around the door ope or is there a seal on the door itself?

if it's the seal on the door ope, they often get flattenened in places, the best thing to do is if it's a very long continuous rubber, as you look straight at the door, rotate it 180 degrees so bottom is now top and top is now bottom. if the rubber is in more than one piece, you may still be able to do this.

if you have a sunroof though, this is almost certainly your problem as the seals perish and shrink. in a beemer i had recently, the shrunken seal caused water to pool in the recesses of the roof skin and rotted it. the water leaked down the headliner, down the pillars and pooled in the footwells. it probably wouldn't be this bad.

The bodge solution was to take down the headliner and gunge up the rotten recesses with silicone and replace the seal. the proper fix is to weld and paint the recesses and replace the seal or at least fibreglass and paint the recesses and replace the seal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Seal is on the car body that the door shuts to...from what I can make out, water appears to run down from around the wing mirror direction and pool somewhere on the seal under the window winder. It doesn't appear to be flattened to any extent.
    So what you're basically saying is that I should (try to) remove the seal and re-attach it upside down so that any leak is now on the bottom?

No sunroof btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Okay not that anyone's that bothered but thought I'd just follow up on what the problem was and how I sorted it.
    A few months back I fitted new speakers into the front doors. It never occurred to me that that might have been the problem until I googled "peugeot doorseal".
    When the card trim is removed, there is a plastic seal (heavy polythene) that keeps rain out after it flows down the window. If this seal is broken or becomes unstuck, wind-blown rain will find it's way into the cabin. In addition to that problem, the hole in the door-trim where the speaker fits into was slightly too small so when I put the card back in and screwed home the speaker, a gap of about 5 mm was left under the speaker.....water was finding it's way out through the gap, pooling on the rubber seal and then issuing back into the footwell along the floorpan.
    So I got the mastic gun out, too off the door card, sealed the speaker completely, stuck down the plastic seal and filled the gap in the bottom of the doorcard using grey acrylic sealant. Dried out the car and it's stayed dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Thanks for posting your findings and glad to hear you sorted it.

I'll memorise that for the next time I have a 106 water leak.........................

Advertisement