Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Melamine Paint

• 03-06-2007 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of using this on my kitchen presses. Has anyone used it, what did you think of it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

AFAIK it's grand....not used it myself. Anytime I have kitchen cabinets/doors to do, I'll usually coat them either with BIN primer (sometimes with a colour tint) or a silicon primer called ESP (which will stick to almost anything and provides a solid base for paint) and then 2 coats of an oil finish (usually eggshell or satin).

Really it depends on what sort of finish is already on the units you're painting...since you're using melamine paint then it';s safe to assume they're melamine? All my above methods will work, so will your melamine paint....I just don't know what it might be like in terms of coverage/opacity. Personally I find my way handier, but either way you're looking at at least 3 coats and no less than 48 hrs from start to finish (dry/cure time)

One last thing; kitchen cabinets will have a certain amount of dirt and grease...a wash down now will save a coat of paint later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

ESP (Easy Surface Primer) is great stuff but make sure the surface is clean (clean with white spirits) and make sure the area is well aired. ESP can be applied with a cloth but its high flamable when wet so disgard of the cloth carefully.

Melemine paint is good too (similar to one of the parts of Paint and Grain from Ronseal).

I'd go with ESP because you can even paint a fridge with that sh*t!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks for your help. I used the ESP followed by 'Ronseal , one coat, MDF and Melamine paint'. It says that it doesn't really need primer but just to be sure I primed the doors. I was very impressed with the paint. Like Werzt, I usually use a couple of coats of eggshell or satinwood applied with a small roller. The doors are MDF and the paint worked really well and has a tough finish. The only drawback is that you have to use a brush not a roller.Good results though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Did you try those small sponge rollers,great for that type of work and throw away after use...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭jos28

Yes, they are brilliant. No cleaning. When I say cleaning, I mean that I soak things in white spirits, leave them in the garage for months and then throw them out !

• Advertisement

Proper finish with a brush is far richer than the sponginess those rollers leave...at the very least the paint you've rolled on should be laid off with a brush.

Proper,proper finish would be to take them down and spray them...:rolleyes:

Proper, proper, proper finish is to just fork out a few grand for a new kitchen...

Wertz wrote:
    Proper, proper, proper finish is to just fork out a few grand for a new kitchen...

Haha!!! Great!

Advertisement