Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPA to get into Pharmacology

Options
  • 03-06-2007 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I didn't realise it was denominated and wouldn't have known when I was choosing subjects anyway that it was what i wanted to do.

What GPA would I need to get into it for 2nd year? I think mine is aout 3.7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

it depends on the amount of applications from first year science i would imagine. 3.7 is a very good gpa though, you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭Sarn

Just to clarify. Most subjects have a certain number of core places i.e. you need to get a certain GPA to be eligible to take the course as a major all the way to the end of your degree. This cutoff will vary from year to year depending on the applicants.

Depending on the take up of places in third year some people may be eligible for some of these core places. People can still do certain pharmacology modules but they won't get a major in it and will not have access to all modules.

The thing is people who choose for example Pharmacology or Neuroscience at CAO level (i.e. denominated entry) take up a certain number of core pharm places, as a result there are fewer for regular science. The more courses that have pharm as core modules the fewer places there are to go around.

Ultimately, whether or not you want to do/or get into microbiology, pharmacology, neuroscience, biochemistry etc. it all ends up pretty much the same. Similar techniques are learnt and they can all be applied equally to a scientific job or MSc/PhD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

thank **** that im denominated in pharmacology and just have to pass everything to get into 2nd year.My **** gpa for the first semester would not have given me a hope to get into it next year.
    However with a 3.7 you really should have no problem getting into your first choice for next year..
    cya then;)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

I want to do chemistry AND pharmacology as a dual thing. I'd be happy with most things though.
    Thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

lizzyvera wrote:
    I want to do chemistry AND pharmacology as a dual thing. I'd be happy with most things though.
    Thanks for the replies.

I wanna do biochemistry with pharmacology but because of my crap GPA il probably be doing chemistry with pharmacology aswell

• Advertisement
Advertisement