Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multiple partitions / Dell hardware check?

• 03-06-2007 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello people =)
    This is my first post so lo' :)

Anyway I'm after buying a new powerhouse custom rig from Germany (Ankermann-pc). Its arriving on Tuesday and [of course] it comes with no operating system preinstalled. Its got a massive 500GB SATA2 HD (I have an external 279GB as well) and here's what I intend to do:
    • Create a ~20GB partition (NTFS) for my custom stripped XP. I created it with nLite and it runs grand in my Virtual machine. I'm going to use this for gaming. It doesn't need to be big as the actual games will be stored on the main partition. So I'll use OSL2000 to boot into this for gaming. It'll be extremely lightweight with many services/programs removed. No visual themes, no effects, programs get memory etc etc.
    • Create a ~20GB partition (ext) for a Ubuntu 7.07 Feisty fawn installation. Its always handy to have it on there. Mostly for quick operations.
    • Create an NTFS partition with the remaining space (~460GB) and install Vista home premium. This will be the "cushy" OS. :D

Ok! Now my questions to ye are
    - Does Dell have a hardware check in their OS installation CDs? Seen as this pc will not be dell-built I have worries as to whether Vista would install correctly. (Not that I'd re-use my recovery cd on a different pc!! :eek: :rolleyes: )
    - Are Vista partitions available in XP (ntfs) running on the same HD? I'd say they should be but does Vista use some revolutionary new filesystem?
    - When xp is run from boot it shows the blue installation screen. Is the partition manager there capable of creating the required volumes or do I need to use a separate program (Norton partitionmagic comes to mind).
    - Does I need OSL2000 or is it possible to use boot.ini to change the bootup partition?

Sorry about the wall of text! Thanks in advance
    David Bannon
    david [@] david-bannon.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

As this deals with primarily installing Windows I moved it into the Windows forum sp1ky.

Stripped down XP is a waste of time for gaming that practice will only gain you a few FPS and most of the folks advocating it are snake oil salesmen & simply don't want to admit their wrong or just see a placebo effect.

The only benefit a separate XP install dedicated to gaming will give you is improved stability without it being your day to day OS and installing this or that there is less likely something to throw a spanner in the works.

Dell do have hardware checks in their operating systems discs I cant say with certainty if it's all of them but certainly some of them do.

Vista runs on NTFS partitions same as XP.

You can manage the boot menu with EasyBCD under Vista which also supports Linux through the grub bootloader.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sp1ky

Thanks for the great reply 8T8

EasyBCD looks great and the price is right! Definitely gonna try it out.

As for my XP ...Well by stripped down I mean modified :D
    I've basically slipstreamed updates to June 07', added a few programs & drivers, removed some services/apps, added a few patches (Stuff you can do in TweakUI e.g. TCP/IP Limit), set it to do an unattended install (serial, languages etc) and bundled it all together as a bootable image.

I'm going to use XP as I'm still not happy with Vista compatibility :( .
    Besides a modified XP with no visual themes/fx is perfect for gaming! I've also got my hands on DX10 hacked to XP.

I'm going to use the vista install for all my usual tasks - email,browsing,coding,media,graphics etc. I might just scrap the Ubuntu idea altogether (:eek: Don't kill me linux community ).

Well I'll see how it goes.

Advertisement