Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric window trouble

Options
  • 03-06-2007 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭

I have a 2000 Toyota Yarris. The electric window in the passenger side is cantankerous at best. It didnt work for over a year and then last month it suddenly decided to spring into normal working action and I had 4 weeks of blissful breeze blowing through my car at request. Now its seized up again. Does anyone know if this is likely to be expensive to fix ? I'm thinking that as it righted itself before maybe I should just wait around for it to oblige me again or is there anything I could myself do to help it on its way? A long shot perhaps but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Possibly an exposed wire giving a bad earth, possibly a switch problem. I'd say its an easy fix but the diagnosis could be expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Demmo

Diagnosis would be very easy if the window was looked at when it was not working. only two wires operate the motor. they just switch polarity whether you want to up or down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

yes, but it could be the wires, the switch the motor, the relay etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Best to start with the simpilist thing first chilli and you might get lucky. It could just be the window sticking, spray silicon spray along all the rubbers that make up the inside frame of the window. Then press the aln hold the button to send the window down and help it on its way, pull it down with your hands. Spray all the rubbers again and then hit the button to send it up and pull it up with your hands at the same time. Then repeat that 5 or six times. Could be all thats needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

are you certain that the window lock button isn't pressed? (square button to the left of the central locking switch) this is often the cause of the passenger window not working. Not being smart, but I've lost count of the number of customers who complain that their passenger window isn't working, only to find that it's locked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Just wanted to say thanks a million for the advice. Colm mcm I feel like an absolute idiot but you were right I did have the "window lock" button pressed (in my defence I haven't been the one driving lately. I've been the disgruntled overheated passenger. :) ). The window was also very sticky once it did open and I took Slipss' advice on that one and now its working perfectly. Thanks a million to you both. It's brilliant to have it back in action again and it's better to realise you've been an idiot online than to have to pay a mechanic for the pleasure of telling you this! :)

Advertisement