Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players donations to maydayfornurses

• 03-06-2007 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Note: Not a dig at any one club, more an eye-opener to how detached from reality the highest earners can be

List of donors to maydayfornurses campaign

Arsenal – 3 players Theo Walcott, Thierry Henry, and Justin Hoyte
    Aston Villa – 2 players Steven Davis, Ashley Young
    Blackburn - 23 players including David Bentley and Morten Gamst Pedersen
    Bolton - 22 players including Nicky Hunt and Kevin Nolan
    Celtic – 1 player Neil Lennon
    Charlton – 8 players Matt Holland, Luke Young, Hermann Hreidarsson, Ben Thatcher, Darren Ambrose, Darren Bent, Marcus Bent, Scott Carson
    Chelsea - 0 players, donation from club to Mayday for Nurses Hardship fund
    Everton - 8 players on board including Alan Stubbs
    Fulham – 28 players, the entire first team squad Carlos Bocanegra, Michael Brown, Jimmy Bullard, Philippe Christanval, Simon Davies, Clint Dempsey, Papa Bouba Diop, Simon Elliott, Ahmad Elrich, Adam Federici, Heiðar Helguson, Claus Jensen, Collins John, Zat Knight, Jan Laštuvka, Brian McBride, Robert Milsom, Vincenzo Montella, Antti Niemi, Elliot Omozusi, Ian Pearce, Mark Pembridge, Franck Queudrue, Tomasz Radzinski, Liam Rosenior, Wayne Routledge, Alexey Smertin, Moritz Volz
    Liverpool - 12 players Craig Bellamy, Jamie Carragher, Peter Crouch, Robbie Fowler, Steven Gerrard, Mark Gonzalez, Harry Kewell, Dirk Kuyt, Jermaine Pennant, Pepe Reina, John Arne Riise, Bolo Zenden
    Man City – 6 players Michael Ball, Joey Barton, Richard Dunne, Georgios Samaras, Nicky Weaver and Micah Richards
    Man Utd – 2 players Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs
    Middlesborough - 0 players, manager Gareth Southgate on board
    Newcastle - 12 players Titus Bramble, Celestine Babayaro, Pavel Srnicek, Nicky Butt, Stephen Carr, Damien Duff, Shay Given, Stephen Harper, James Milner, Scott Parker, Peter Ramage, Nolberto Solano
    Portsmouth – 1 player David James
    Rangers – 2 players Gavin Rae and Barry Ferguson
    Reading – 27 players, the entire first team squad Mikkel Anderson, Alan Bennett, Andre Bikey, Oliver Bozanic, Aaron Brown, Bobby Convey, Ulises de la Cruz, Kevin Doyle, Michael Duberry, Brynjar Gunnarsson, Marcus Hahnemann, Greg Halford, John Halls, James Harper, Stephen Hunt, Ívar Ingimarsson, Seol Ki-Hyeon, Dave Kitson, Leroy Lita, Glen Little, Shane Long, Péter Máté, Graeme Murty, John Oster, Nicky Shorey, Steve Sidwell, Ibrahima Sonko
    Sheffield – 23 players
    Tottenham – 20 players including Paul Robinson and Jermaine Defoe
    Watford – 28 players, the entire first team squad including Malky Mackay
    West Ham - 26 players, the entire first team squad including Nigel Reo Coker
    Wigan – 1 player Arjan de Zeeuw

Poor turnout from players at clubs with the highest wage bills, with one or two notable exceptions (bulabos Terry Henry). Also a few of the lower earners ducking out.

Is it really that much to ask for one days wages? Next season, the average PL footballer will earn almost £1.1mpa, an average of over £21,000 a week :eek: source. The average wage for a nurse in the UK is currently £24,841pa.

I don't envy modern players their payday, but this sort of thing coupled with fans increasingly priced out of attending live games sticks in the throat somewhat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

That list smacks of pettiness from the mayday group, a lot of players not on that list do a lot of work for other charities. Drogba in his homeland, Ronaldo in his. Seems that left out of that list as it doesnt get the response they aiming for.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Note: Not a dig at any one club, more an eye-opener to how detached from reality the highest earners can be

List of donors to maydayfornurses campaign

Arsenal – 3 players Theo Walcott, Thierry Henry, and Justin Hoyte
    Aston Villa – 2 players Steven Davis, Ashley Young
    Blackburn - 23 players including David Bentley and Morten Gamst Pedersen
    Bolton - 22 players including Nicky Hunt and Kevin Nolan
    Celtic – 1 player Neil Lennon
    Charlton – 8 players Matt Holland, Luke Young, Hermann Hreidarsson, Ben Thatcher, Darren Ambrose, Darren Bent, Marcus Bent, Scott Carson
    Chelsea - 0 players, donation from club to Mayday for Nurses Hardship fund
    Everton - 8 players on board including Alan Stubbs
    Fulham – 28 players, the entire first team squad Carlos Bocanegra, Michael Brown, Jimmy Bullard, Philippe Christanval, Simon Davies, Clint Dempsey, Papa Bouba Diop, Simon Elliott, Ahmad Elrich, Adam Federici, Heiðar Helguson, Claus Jensen, Collins John, Zat Knight, Jan Laštuvka, Brian McBride, Robert Milsom, Vincenzo Montella, Antti Niemi, Elliot Omozusi, Ian Pearce, Mark Pembridge, Franck Queudrue, Tomasz Radzinski, Liam Rosenior, Wayne Routledge, Alexey Smertin, Moritz Volz
    Liverpool - 12 players Craig Bellamy, Jamie Carragher, Peter Crouch, Robbie Fowler, Steven Gerrard, Mark Gonzalez, Harry Kewell, Dirk Kuyt, Jermaine Pennant, Pepe Reina, John Arne Riise, Bolo Zenden
    Man City – 6 players Michael Ball, Joey Barton, Richard Dunne, Georgios Samaras, Nicky Weaver and Micah Richards
    Man Utd – 2 players Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs
    Middlesborough - 0 players, manager Gareth Southgate on board
    Newcastle - 12 players Titus Bramble, Celestine Babayaro, Pavel Srnicek, Nicky Butt, Stephen Carr, Damien Duff, Shay Given, Stephen Harper, James Milner, Scott Parker, Peter Ramage, Nolberto Solano
    Portsmouth – 1 player David James
    Rangers – 2 players Gavin Rae and Barry Ferguson
    Reading – 27 players, the entire first team squad Mikkel Anderson, Alan Bennett, Andre Bikey, Oliver Bozanic, Aaron Brown, Bobby Convey, Ulises de la Cruz, Kevin Doyle, Michael Duberry, Brynjar Gunnarsson, Marcus Hahnemann, Greg Halford, John Halls, James Harper, Stephen Hunt, Ívar Ingimarsson, Seol Ki-Hyeon, Dave Kitson, Leroy Lita, Glen Little, Shane Long, Péter Máté, Graeme Murty, John Oster, Nicky Shorey, Steve Sidwell, Ibrahima Sonko
    Sheffield – 23 players
    Tottenham – 20 players including Paul Robinson and Jermaine Defoe
    Watford – 28 players, the entire first team squad including Malky Mackay
    West Ham - 26 players, the entire first team squad including Nigel Reo Coker
    Wigan – 1 player Arjan de Zeeuw

Poor turnout from players at clubs with the highest wage bills, with one or two notable exceptions (bulabos Terry Henry). Also a few of the lower earners ducking out.

Is it really that much to ask for one days wages? Next season, the average PL footballer will earn almost £1.1mpa, an average of over £21,000 a week :eek: source. The average wage for a nurse in the UK is currently £24,841pa.

I don't envy modern players their payday, but this sort of thing coupled with fans increasingly priced out of attending live games sticks in the throat somewhat.

I dont know much about the benefactors but personally I don't believe it's a legitimate cause for charity, Maybe the players that didn't contribute agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

KdjaCL wrote:
    That list smacks of pettiness from the mayday group, a lot of players not on that list do a lot of work for other charities. Drogba in his homeland, Ronaldo in his.

On the other hand, there's plenty who did donate AND give time/money to other causes...De La Cruz at Reading (ex-Villa) has set up a foundation that helps improve conditions in his home village in Ecuador, Berbatov gives a lot of his time to Unicef and also AIDS charities.

Considering all 20 PL sides gave their support to the campaign, I'd have thought the players would have done similar...

The Muppet wrote:
    I dont know much about the benefactors but personally I don't believe it's a legitimate cause for charity

There's a link there Tom, you could have a look...

The donations are intended to go into a hardship fund accessible to nurses, as the lowest paid public sector workers in the UK nurses earn on average £4,000 less than the national average.

heh just seen who the top fans are :D

I wouldnt pay to a nurses fund but would to childline, maybe the players feel that the UK is a 1st world country therefore should be able to look after its own health service.

kdjac

• Advertisement

http://www.maydayfornurses.com/

Just had a look there Ronan, I can think of a lot more worthy causes TBH. Publishing names on the site is poor form IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If these people want to go looking for money off footballers fine. Personally, I wouldnt give them anything. I'll donate to who and what charities I like and would instantly rule out this If I was in a position to e asked especially now that they effectivly tried to shame players into givign by publishing th eabove list.

Would anyone have a problem with Concern publishing a list of houses on their road that didnt donate when asked? (or a list of the ones that did, assuming they wouldnt be on it)
    Poor turnout from players at clubs with the highest wage bills, with one or two notable exceptions (bulabos Terry Henry). Also a few of the lower earners ducking out..

Why? He's on hige money and can afford it more than others.
    The donations are intended to go into a hardship fund accessible to nurses, as the lowest paid public sector workers in the UK nurses earn on average £4,000 less than the national average.

Boo-Bloody hoo, wheres the Shelf packers in Tesco fund?

KdjaCL wrote:
    heh just seen who the top fans are :D

;)

;)

Congratulations on your win.:)

The Muppet wrote:

Just had a look there Ronan, I can think of a lot more worthy causes TBH.

Not a bad point.

In relation to the point I raised in the first post, do you not recognise the disparity between some of the highest earners in the game and some of the lowest? Is it just coincidence that the clubs with the highest wages bills in the PL have so many players who don't see this as a worthy cause?

Isn't it strange that of the 5 clubs with the highest wages bill in the PL (ManU, Chelsea, Arsenal, Pool, Newcastle) according to Deloitte provide only one more player than the side that finished bottom 20th this season?

Again, no dig at the clubs, who all contributed.

• Advertisement

I sympatise but that should be addressed by lobbying the government and industrial action if necessary, not in this fashion.

In relation to the point I raised in the first post, do you not recognise the disparity between some of the highest earners in the game and some of the lowest? Is it just coincidence that the clubs with the highest wages bills in the PL have so many players who don't see this as a worthy cause?

Isn't it strange that of the 5 clubs with the highest wages bill in the PL (ManU, Chelsea, Arsenal, Pool, Newcastle) according to Deloitte provide only one more player than the side that finished bottom 20th this season?

Again, no dig at the clubs, who all contributed.

I accept that Ronan, anyone that has ever collected for Charity will tell you that the less well off are more likely to contribute .

Stekelly wrote:
    Why? He's on hige money and can afford it more than others.

So are Ballack, Shevchecko, Ronaldo, Rooney, etc etc...
    Stekelly wrote:
    Boo-Bloody hoo, wheres the Shelf packers in Tesco fund?

I don't know, why not start one?

So are Ballack, Shevchecko, Ronaldo, Rooney, etc etc...

Thats no reason to signle out Henry for praise.

I don't know, why not start one?

Well for one I dont work in Tesco and as a result, much like th enurses campaign, I dont care.

second, do you think anyone would have any sympathy for Tesco workers and their plight, muchless actually take the "charity" seriously enough to donate to it?
    The nurses, for whatever reason , seem to have a unique position of sympathy in the eyes of the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looks like Mr Madejski issued an order!

Agree about the name and shame aspect. It won't do them any long term favours.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Totally agree, very poor form from them to name the players who contributed. I dont see them doing this for any other people in any other job...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

terrible to see the names being published. charity is a private affair. having said that, its nice to see all the irish player contributions (most, if not all, did i think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

To be honest, I wouldn't give the nurses **** all if I was a footballer. In terms of charities I give money to, the nurses aren't even a charity in my book. **** them, and I'd imagine that's what a lot of footballers think too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I don't really follow, why should a footballer be criticised for not donating money to nurses?

Cos spurs won the league, they in the Doctors need golf clubs league now.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Don't see why footballers should be doing the job of the British exchequer, **** that for a game of soldiers. As has been said, there are numerous more worthy causes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Whatever the merits of nurses getting helped out by rich entertainers it is widely held public view that nurses are deserving of support and are'ny treated as well as they "should" be. Now I think nurses get enough in UK and Ireland (particularly Ireland) but the soccer players could have gotten more than a days worth of positive PR by giving a days wages! Maybe they didnt want their daily wage being scrutinised? bling bling soccer stars embarresed by large wage packet ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

As a point of principal, I wouldn't have given anything either if I was a highly paid football player. Nurses are not a charity and I have no sympathy for them. When they decided to become nurses I'm sure they knew the pay was crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

PHB wrote:
    To be honest, I wouldn't give the nurses **** all if I was a footballer. In terms of charities I give money to, the nurses aren't even a charity in my book. **** them, and I'd imagine that's what a lot of footballers think too.

agree wholeheartedly, but still fair play to the players that are willing to do give up a days wage.

though if this was a proper charity I would find it hard to believe a player would not do it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The fact that names are being published by this lot removes whatever credibility this may have had in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

What a pile of rubbish. This is their manifesto.
    # Nurses should not be paid less than all other professional key public sector workers. It is unjust that a nurse earns less than a tube driver, social worker, and policeman.
    I wasn't aware they were paid less than every one else. Also, it's not like they're forced into the profession or misled about future renumeration.
    # No student nurse should have to quit his or her course because he or she cannot afford her rent.
    This is a challenge that every single college student faces. Anyway, the British have a student loan system so there should be no reason why the kiddies can't go to school.
    # Newly qualified nurses should be guaranteed work upon graduation. It is criminal that because of NHS job freezes, thousands of nurses are facing the prospect of no job this year.
    There isn't a college degree in all on the UK that wil guarantee work to a gradute. I don't see why nurses should be an exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Do the nurses donate a days wages to those worse off than them. Somehow I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:

It scares me that i actually agree with you on something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i agree it's all a bit of a con..

so what if the nurses get £4k below minimum wage - how is that a footballers problem?

i know some of these guys are on £100k+ a week, but if you start giving a few bob away to everyone who comes knocking on your door, you'll end up being mobbed by charities.

If you give a stray cat a bit of milk, the chances are it'll come back and camp outside your house, expecting more. Word gets around amongst the cats that you're the guy that gives out free milk and the crowd gathers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

check out channel4 now(9 o'clock) program about maydayfornurses.wudn give them a penny if i was a footballer not there problem the nurses knew when they went to college they wud end up in a badly paid job.the women organising it a doctor wonder did she give up a days wages?seems the basic idea behind this was when the uk gov. offered the nurses a ****ty pay increase(never hear of strike action)this women decided to fight their corner by organising this, she even compared this to liveaid now if she organised a few charity matches she wud have been better off.
    she ****ed up big time by publishing the names cant see anyone donating again charity should be anon.

http://www.nursingspectrum.com/InternationalNursing/Relocating/Profile_UK.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Why are private individuals being asked to donate money to people who are employees of the British state? :confused:

What a load of bollocks.

Did any high earning board members donate anything? :rolleyes:

That name and "shame" thing is a disgrace.

Players would be better off paying every so often for buses for fans to away games or taking cuts that could go directly to lower season ticket prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Some of you really are a shower of heartless bastards, next time you or a loved one is in hospital, I hope you get the most overworked underpaid nurse around. I'd much prefer a nurse or carer with their mind on the job and not worrying about their financial situation.

The nurses in the UK have been treated appallingly bad, working unpaid overtime, these are dedicated hard working public servants who have been offered unacceptable pay increases.

Not a huge difference to here in Ireland either, It's brilliant in this country with our lack of consultants, closing hospitals, and underpaid staff.

Not surprising to see PHB lead the rant, and smemon with his bloody stray cat tirade.

Well done lads.

Fair play to those who donated, it's the gesture, not the actual donation amount which is important. None of those premiership players will ever have to use NHS services, and by the sounds of it, none of you lads here have used the Irish equivalent recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I'm surprised with clubs like manu and boro, where the managers are up for it but none of the players signed up.

According to the show Giggs and Nev were pretty much forced to go by ferguson, but they were there only players to give according to the list. I'd of thought Ferguson would have told the player to cough up and they would. So either he didn't ask them or a hell of a lot of players said no to him which doesn't sound quite right.

zabbo wrote:
    Some of you really are a shower of heartless bastards, next time you or a loved one is in hospital, I hope you get the most overworked underpaid nurse around. I'd much prefer a nurse or carer with their mind on the job and not worrying about their financial situation..

Well then everyone in every job should be paid enough to not have to worry about their financial situation. Why is it only fair to discriminate in favour of nurses? As far as I can see there doesnt seem to be a chronic nurse shortage, at least not enough to cause hospitals to close as a result, so theres plenty of people joining the profession knowing full well what it pays. Who's fault is that?
    zabbo wrote:
    The nurses in the UK have been treated appallingly bad, working unpaid overtime, these are dedicated hard working public servants who have been offered unacceptable pay increases.

Not a huge difference to here in Ireland either, It's brilliant in this country with our lack of consultants, closing hospitals, and underpaid staff...

Boo hoo, get a new job that pays better.

I was in a low paying job for quite a while. I didnt spend my time moaning and looking for charity. I upped and got a new, better paying job.

Noelie wrote:
    According to the show Giggs and Nev were pretty much forced to go by ferguson, but they were there only players to give according to the list. I'd of thought Ferguson would have told the player to cough up and they would. So either he didn't ask them or a hell of a lot of players said no to him which doesn't sound quite right.

It's none of Fegusons business what his players do with their money (unless it effects their performance) and how much if any they give to charity.

How would you feel if your boss decided you had to give a certain amount of your money away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

bull - both in ireland and there. a graduate nurse can expect to earn 31k in Ireland - while as an IT grad i earn 6k less, but coz i am in the private sector nobody gives a toss.

i have no time for them - they hold a public service to ransom and expect everyone to cave in. and the worse thing is nobody can say a bad thing about nurses.

also that name and shame is typical of nurse tactics... something like this would put footballers off real charities in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

These are public servants though, whose employers are the government. It's a public health service which is required for the general population.

They're closing A&E and Maternity services in Hospitals in the UK.

I think you're missing the point, they're trying to raise the profile of their plight which directly affects patients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's a public health service which is required for the general population.

Cry me a river. You can't play the, I'm doing a public good argument, and then complain about not getting paid enough for it. It's one of the other, otherwise, you're just a hypocrite.
    they're trying to raise the profile of their plight which directly affects patients.

It's a tough ****ing life isn't it, especially Irish Nurses. 35 hour weeks, go to France, you're in a wrong country :rolleyes: Nurses are underpaid, so are the majority of the bloody population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

probably going slightly off topic methinks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

just a bit.

i've stayed away from this thread for obvouos reasons, number 1 being that this is the soccer forum, but a few things need clearing up.

first off, this campaign wasn't organised by nurses, there woman who did it all, is one of those anti-globalisation types. Indeed nurses in the UK were very slow to take up the cause, for many of the reasons that the enlightened above point out. The Royal College of Nurses actually didn't want anything to do with it for quite a while. They did eventually get on board, but in an administrative capacity, they didn't really support it too much, they just will dole out the cash that was collected.

The cash is going into a hardship fund. Its not to give every nurse in the Uk a holiday or anything. As i understand it, it will be used to support nurses, who end umemployed due to NHS cutbacks and rationalisation programmes.

Footballers were used as popstars and actors had alredy been done. Also, and I don't have the source for this, but the organiser woman showed me the figures when i met her earlier this year, a lot of footballers have direct links with nurses either wives, mothers , sisters etc. where she got thses numbers from i dunno, so i guess this affeted her thinking.

for the poster who said that there is no nursing shortage...........without going too OT, there is a global nursing shortage running into the millions. The USA alone needs over a million nurses by 2012 over and above what they are training themselves. The UK, is in a similar position of shortage, though the issue there is that due to poor administration and management, along with the bulging ranks of middle management they have no cash to fund the sytem. You think we have a 3rd world system here? The NHS is collapsing, people are actually dying over there because of lack of resources. The are over 10,000 unemployed nurses in the UK, even though the hospitals are crying out for more frontline staff i.e. nurses, doctors, physios etc.

The "you know what you got into" argument is one of the laziest ever guys. Really, your all educated you can do better. Its nonsense. If you were arguing that oay rises should be linked to increases in productivity or expandig the remit of a nurse job role, then you'd have a case (one which I'd agree with infact). But saying that you made your bed, so lie in it is bull. Its not a sin to try and improve your lot in life lads, that seems to have been forgotten by a lot of you.

I think that she put the names of the contributors up so that they could get a bit of kudos for doing it, nit to name and shame. But i can see how it looks and I'd kinda agree that its maybe not the best alright. Your blaming nurses as a group for that though, which seeing as the UK nurses didn't organise this whole thing or play much of a part of it in general, is a bit unfair.

Personally, I think that the money aspect of this could have been better handled. Maybe if she had just have got all the footballers to wear the t-shirt on a specigic day or something, that would have served to raise the profile a bit better without the "charity" aspect, which I dont believe nurses wanted or even needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I can understand some players not donating, alot of them do alot of behind the scenes charity work and already donate money to "real" charities, one's that put clothes on peoples backs and food in their stomachs. How you can compare that to giving nurses money to help them pay their credit card bills is crazy.

Sposs wrote:
    I can understand some players not donating, alot of them do alot of behind the scenes charity work and already donate money to "real" charities, one's that put clothes on peoples backs and food in their stomachs. How you can compare that to giving nurses money to help them pay their credit card bills is crazy.

have u actually looked into this at all? If it was to help nurses with their credit card bills even I'd be giving out about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

according to the website "it will go into a nurses hardship fund"

I'd love to know what they constitute hardship!!!! If its such a tough stressful job as they say how does giving them more money actually help. Having more money does not make the job easier or less stressful.

"stressful" "hardship" etc are just words being used to hide the fact they want a payrise, instead of pursuing this route they should basically demand a payrise from the UK government and stop painting themselves as Martyrs.

As for paying their credit card bills from the site it has "large student loans " as a sign of one of the hardships, this is a hardship that nearly all UK graduates carry. Having Footballers pay these bills does not make sense.

and like i say, i agree with that thought. but as i also said this wasn't something organised or for a long time even condoned by the nurses in the UK. they've been pretty clear in distancing themselves from it. In fact I know a good few who totally disagreed with it.

nurse_baz wrote:
    The cash is going into a hardship fund. Its not to give every nurse in the Uk a holiday or anything. As i understand it, it will be used to support nurses, who end umemployed due to NHS cutbacks and rationalisation programmes..

Is that not what the dole is for? Why is it not a general unemployed peoples hardship fund?
    nurse_baz wrote:
    The "you know what you got into" argument is one of the laziest ever guys. Really, your all educated you can do better. Its nonsense. If you were arguing that oay rises should be linked to increases in productivity or expandig the remit of a nurse job role, then you'd have a case (one which I'd agree with infact). But saying that you made your bed, so lie in it is bull. Its not a sin to try and improve your lot in life lads, that seems to have been forgotten by a lot of you.

Why is it lazy? As I stated, I was in a job I felt was low paying, so I went out and got a better one. As do lots of other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Poor Charlton can never get a break, always in the relegation zone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

As much sympathy as I have with underpaid nurses (my mother is a nurse), I don't see wtf it has to do with footballers or why it's being discussed on the soccer forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

zabbo wrote:
    Some of you really are a shower of heartless bastards, next time you or a loved one is in hospital, I hope you get the most overworked underpaid nurse around......blah

how is the view from up there?

nurse_baz wrote:

I think that she put the names of the contributors up so that they could get a bit of kudos for doing it, nit to name and shame. But i can see how it looks and I'd kinda agree that its maybe not the best alright. Your blaming nurses as a group for that though, which seeing as the UK nurses didn't organise this whole thing or play much of a part of it in general, is a bit unfair.

thats rubbish. If they wanted the kudos themselves, they could let it be known.
    Would you think it fair if Trocaire published the list of houses that gave to their lenten appeal every year? And the amount given?

event wrote:

thats rubbish. If they wanted the kudos themselves, they could let it be known.
    Would you think it fair if Trocaire published the list of houses that gave to their lenten appeal every year? And the amount given?

you obvously only read half of what I said......i did agree that I don't think putting the names up was the best course of action. BUT i also said that it was unfair to blame nurses seeing as they didn't have much to do with the running or organising of the campaign. The first that most nurses heard of it was in April. The most I'm doing here is sticking up the actual nurses, not the campaign in general or the lefty woman who organised it. Its her that you should be lambasting really

kinaldo wrote:
    As much sympathy as I have with underpaid nurses (my mother is a nurse), I don't see wtf it has to do with footballers or why it's being discussed on the soccer forum.

agreed

Advertisement