Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do first?

Options
  • 03-06-2007 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi all just a quick one, what would you reccomend I do first when I move into my new house, wooden floors or tiles. Or does it matter. Someone said i should be sealer on the floor to stop dust,do I really have to do this?:eek: Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you are moving into your house and putting down covering on concrete floors as you can, then yes, put down sealer. If you don't the dust goes everwhere and messes things up, especially if you are putting varnish or seal on anything. I can't imagine its great to breath either. I would put down tiles before wood - you risk walking cement and grout onto your new floors otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Thank you Im learning somthing new every day.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ya I would put down sealer on the concrete as soon as you can....its just polybond mixed about 1 part to about 8 parts water I think.

Mix it in a bucket and put it on with a regular paint roller on a broom handle. 10 mins to do an avg size room.

If the plasterboard walls are not painted....you can seal the walls aswell....no harm

As for tiles or wood floors first....I would defo go with the tiles first

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

If using polybond on the walls keep the mix very thin (1part poly to 10 parts water) so that the paint can actually grip - I've seen paint come of walls in sheets with polybond, its like painting on glass if theres too much used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

6th wrote:
    If using polybond on the walls keep the mix very thin (1part poly to 10 parts water) so that the paint can actually grip - I've seen paint come of walls in sheets with polybond, its like painting on glass if theres too much used.

yes i agree with 6th,
    imo watered down emulsion much better. but dont over lap it when rolling 1st coat and depending on the brand u use approx 20-35% water to paint. (35% + to brands like dulux and crown as its much thicker)
    also use matt finish as soft sheen or vinly silk can just sit on the plaster and peel and when 2nd coated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Ah god I dont have a clue about any of that stuff. About the walls I wasnt planning on doing anything with them for a while, would that stuff not streak. Im so not a DIY gal,looks like Im going to have to buy overall and start learning. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

sealing the walls is not necessary...just handy if you're doing teh floors aswell.

no need to panic....watering down white emulsion orks just as well, but try not to use the cheapo 10litre brand white paint...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

texas star wrote:
    Ah god I dont have a clue about any of that stuff. About the walls I wasnt planning on doing anything with them for a while, would that stuff not streak. Im so not a DIY gal,looks like Im going to have to buy overall and start learning. Thanks :)

alas thats the way it should be done.yes it will look patchy(the first coat)
    the second coat u can apply pure(straight outta can)
    this will look better and depending on colour it may only need 2 coats.

ps take ur time and enjoy

Advertisement