Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert - Subject Level Change

Options
  • 03-06-2007 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

JUST WONDERING.... IN THE ACTUAL JUNIOR CERT, WHEN THEY'RE GIVING OUT THE PAPERS, ARE YOU ABLE TO CHANGE LEVEL?? Eg. FROM HIGHER to ORDINARY?? SOMEONE HELP... BECAUSE I DONT KNOW.... :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Apparently you're not supposed to be allowed do it. However, if you're vice principal/principal/year head is around, ask him her to try and bail you out (get you a pass paper). But as I say, technically the superindendent doesnt have to let you drop down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Know-Yourself

Apparently you're not supposed to be allowed do it. However, if you're vice principal/principal/year head is around, ask him her to try and bail you out (get you a pass paper). But as I say, technically the superindendent doesnt have to let you drop down.

Can you Just... Ask for a pass paper?? and yknow NOT tell anyone??:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

they give out papers based on your numbers-your level is written beside your number

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You need to have told your school before last Friday if you are considering changing level. I saw our exam secretary running round like a headless chicken trying to get the forms in. Each form had to be signed by the subject teacher and a reason for the late change given.

It may not be possible have an additional paper at the level you want, simply due to the fact that your school may not have received any extras at the other level. If your school is a very big one, there is more chance they will have got a few extras, but I wouldn't count on it.

spurious wrote:
    You need to have told your school before last Friday if you are considering changing level. I saw our exam secretary running round like a headless chicken trying to get the forms in. Each form had to be signed by the subject teacher and a reason for the late change given.

It may not be possible have an additional paper at the level you want, simply due to the fact that your school may not have received any extras at the other level. If your school is a very big one, there is more chance they will have got a few extras, but I wouldn't count on it.

Well what if i just asked for a pass paper when they ask me what level im doing?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

they give out papers based on your numbers-your level is written beside your number

Can i not pretend that they got it wrong? that i was supposed to be doing ordinary level??:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

there wont be enough exam papers. They are only sent the amount filled in on the forms etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Like the others said, they only the bring the needed amount of higher or ordinary papers for the exam based on what level you chose. So even if you say there was a mistake, there wont be a pass paper available. But calm down, tis only the JC after all, if you scrape a C you'll be able to do higher for the LC, I think (Someone back that up?)

Oh and the Caps lock is below tab :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

I think it depends on your school.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

strongr wrote:
    I think it depends on your school.

Yep.

With regards to doing honours for LC, it again depends on the school, how many honours classes, how many want to get into that class etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

I was told that you can change levels as long as you give at least a days notice,I hope this is true because I have no hope of passing higher level french:(

Conor108 wrote:
    Like the others said, they only the bring the needed amount of higher or ordinary papers for the exam based on what level you chose. So even if you say there was a mistake, there wont be a pass paper available. But calm down, tis only the JC after all, if you scrape a C you'll be able to do higher for the LC, I think (Someone back that up?)

Oh and the Caps lock is below tab :)

What is up with the Caps lock comment?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Your original post is entirely in capitals.

Your original post is entirely in capitals.

Oh... that was just to grab people's attention!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

You might find that people are less likely to read something that's all in capitals, as it's harder to read.
    Also I think if people had clicked onto the thread, chances are you already had their attention. : )

I was told that you can change levels as long as you give at least a days notice,I hope this is true because I have no hope of passing higher level french:(

Just say the French exam was on the thursday, would you be able to ask to change on the Wednesday? It IS After all, one days notice.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

You might find that people are less likely to read something that's all in capitals, as it's harder to read.
    Also I think if people had clicked onto the thread, chances are you already had their attention. : )

Its also something that nubs do BECAUSE THEY THINK IT MAKES THEM GET NOTICED.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kikis_mom

Hi

I've resurrected this query. My son is doing the Junior Cert this June and currently he's signed up for Honours Level Maths. He's struggling with the honours maths and even though he's getting some grinds, he hasn't improved and continues to fail the maths at this level.

He told his teacher recently that he wanted to change down to pass Maths. She told him its too late - that he'll have to stick with the honours maths because the Superintendent on the day might not give him a Pass paper (there's no guarantee). He doesn't want to do the honours maths and based on his difficulties with the sample papers, etc. he is certain he's heading for a fail!

I'm really annoyed about this because we requested that he be moved down to pass maths before the pres. I even phoned the teacher and requested it, only to be told that he would be better off holding out and sitting the honours paper, which he did. When he failed the maths in the pres, he was still told not to worry, it would be fine. However, its come to the point where he no longer wants to do the honours paper and is desparate to switch to pass.

Does anyone know if its possible to organise it at this late stage? And if so, how do we go about it? The Principal of the school has echoed what the teacher said about it - sorry too late to change!!

Please help!

Advertisement