Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whiteout Problem?please help

• 03-06-2007 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

When using web browser on any sites with a white backgrounds like google, boards etc, type-in boxes (like the title, message field on boards or search field on google) and some dropdown menus are very difficult to see, the edges arent clearly visible as there is a 'white-out' effect with the rest of the page. its still usable but very annoying to look at.

Is this because of an issue with the monitor (basic dell flat) or are there settings which can be changed to fix this?

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I'm thinking less brightness, more contrast... but that'll feck up everything else with it.
    Hmm... do you still have a warranty for that monitor? (I think 3 years is standard on DELL montiors)
    Though having recently gone through the monitor replacement lottery with DELL myself, I'd personally take the white-out effect over dealing with those arse-holes again.

For a much more specific fix on this, I'd say look into setting up a custom user stylesheet that applies to every site... I'm pretty sure you can do this with firefox.
    You could globally set the edges of the form elements to a stronger colour or make the lines thicker.
    Can't be much more specific than that since I haven't tried this in a long time.

####[edit]#####
    Oh yeah, I just did a bit of research to refresh my memory...

To get this working, first copy this CSS...
    form input { border: 2px solid #F00 ! important; background-color: #FF7 ! important; }

Paste it into notepad and save it as userContent.css on your desktop or where ever you want.
    The (slightly) tricky part is trying to find where you need to move this file to.
    It belongs in a folder inside your FireFox profile folder called 'chrome'... for me this is located in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<windows username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<gobbledy-gook>.default\chrome\
    Or you could find the location by searching the drive for userContent-example.css which exists in that folder by default.
    Once the new userContent.css file exists in that folder, you just need to restart Firefox and the changes should be apparent... in this case form inputs are yellow with a thick red border.

If this looks like it'll work for your problem and you want to fine tune the CSS, just let me know... admittedly it's a bit ugly right now, but for testing purposes it'll do.

Advertisement