Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

One that's been on for a while but I was reminded of it when I saw it tonight:
    The Mace ad with Brendan O'Connor with the couple who bought too much stuff at a "megastore" and now face the horrifying prospect of some of it going out of date.

Is that really the best way to advertise a convenience store?

"Sure we're more expensive and have a smaller selection than a supermarket, but at least it means your fridge won't get too full because you won't want to spend too much money in our shops, and we won't have lots of the things you want!"

Is people buying too many things and having them go off such a major and common problem?

And just what exactly is "best before bingo" anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭mikedone

Any ad that involves food talking just creeps me out. Especially the one where the guy has to convince the m and m's into the bowl, seriously who wants to eat candy that can argue it's right to life?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

I can't find any info on it but if anyone has watched any children's TV lately, there's this animated ad about some Traveller child called Mary or something who wants to be accepted by settled kids or whatever. A group of very politically correct, multicultural children then all gather round and they all discover that Travellers are really friendly and welcoming after all.

Apart from anything else ( I won't get into the whole Traveller thing :)), it's badly made and voiced. It does my head in, sends me into an irrational rage!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

mikedone wrote: »
    Any ad that involves food talking just creeps me out. Especially the one where the guy has to convince the m and m's into the bowl, seriously who wants to eat candy that can argue it's right to life?

I just don't get the whole M&M's "characters" at all. They're contrived and lame. There's an M&Ms world in Las Vegas and I think one in New York too. Why would anyone go there? Talking chocolate-covered peanuts have absolutely no charisma at all! They're trying to create Mickey and Donald, but they can't even do as good as Ronald and Hamburglar.

M&Ms are just sweets lads, not a pop-culture phenomenon. Vote for your favourite coloured M&M? Why would I be bothered doing that? Loada bolllox!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I hate the belvita breakfast buscuits ad with the pair of spanner djs, it's beyond contrived. Particularly the way yer one says "breakfast" does my head in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭mikedone

Just seen another ad that annoys the $*??*% out of me. The one for Curry's where they give the price of the product in the format "ONLY five nine five Euro". Do they actually think people are dumb enough to think that's less than €595 and if they are then we should immediately stop dealing with any company that is prepared to insult our intelligence to that degree.

I hate the belvita breakfast buscuits ad with the pair of spanner djs, it's beyond contrived. Particularly the way yer one says "breakfast" does my head in.

Me too but i still wouldnt kick Lisa Snowdon out of bed for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

mikedone wrote: »
    Just seen another ad that annoys the $*??*% out of me. The one for Curry's where they give the price of the product in the format "ONLY five nine five Euro". Do they actually think people are dumb enough to think that's less than €595 and if they are then we should immediately stop dealing with any company that is prepared to insult our intelligence to that degree.

I don't think they're trying to patronise us by trying to persuade us that "five nine five" is less than "five hundred and ninety-five", but it is incredibly patronising that they think they need to call it out in single figures.

Seriously lads, we all learned to count in school! And we learned how to say big numbers, like "two million, four hundred and fifty-eight thousand, four hundred and sixty-one"... though I might have trouble saying that one in Irish! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,430 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Has to be the ad where it goes something like;
    You want to be him but he is him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Not sure if it was already posted, but I hate the Bulmers ad where the mans beard is made up of a swarm of bees. It actually disgusts me! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Fanta ads.

Any of them.

There all crap.

"If you don't have an iPhone... well, you don't have an iPhone :cool: :rolleyes:."

So fecking smug! I also think that basically mocking someone for not having something, and suggesting that they're lacking in a major way, is just a bad marketing strategy. Personally it makes me less likely to want an iPhone.
    It reminds me of the Craig Doyle UPC ads where he'd say "Can your cable provider do that? :cool: :rolleyes:"
    It's just so negative, I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It reminds me of the Craig Doyle UPC ads where he'd say "Can your cable provider do that? :cool: :rolleyes:"
    It's just so negative, I hate it.

Since UPC are a near monopoly of a cable provider and if you have another cable provider in your area well they hold a monopoly in your area!

Elmo wrote: »
    Since UPC are a near monopoly of a cable provider and if you have another cable provider in your area well they hold a monopoly in your area!

You wouldnt mind they are not that good. I had wicked trouble connecting to the internet at times when i was away at college this year.

You wouldnt mind they are not that good. I had wicked trouble connecting to the internet at times when i was away at college this year.

Have to say their Broadband is brilliant a service.

Have to say their Broadband is brilliant a service.

We have had completely different experience's there so :)
    "If you don't have an iPhone... well, you don't have an iPhone :cool: :rolleyes:."

Its no wonder the world is gone so materialistic with companies sending out this message. Surely there are other smart phones that are better and cheaper without the whole brand name bulls*it that Apple bring.

We have had completely different experience's there so :)

I won't defend UPC their TV isn't the best, and if you have to call customer care your F-ed. But their is also no denying that their broadband and phone service is one of the best in the country. Also its abit off topic and I think everyone has UPC horror stories. e.g. cutting off my 96 yo grandmother who forgot to pay and then dragging it out, but at least they didn't charge for re-installation , however she still wants to go back to her Videoplus, She now thinks George Hook is a right dope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

She now thinks George Hook is a right dope.
    Wasn't it SkyPlus he was touting?

Speedsie wrote: »
    Wasn't it SkyPlus he was touting?

I know, she knows but she does like the plus system of recording. Bring back VHS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Specsavers ads ...because theyre not like this..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqBy6TgYxTU&feature=feedrec_grec_index

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

The Persil ad with Kirsty Allsop and the two small kids where they take herbs from the herb garden to put them in another herb garden in the kitchen...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭batistuta9

the kinder pingui add is annoying as f*ck

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

That advert where all those women are singing 'ba badiba ba' bullsh*t about some lotion or cream or gel or something. The tune sounds very familiar to an advert years ago called 'Them Bones' (not Alice in Chains) song (I think where the strange bloke made of timber sang to the kid?). Anyway, it really grinds my gears.:mad:

No there is another advert where yer wan is going around singing into her breakfast-sugar bar. Does me head in.

macgrub wrote: »
    That advert where all those women are singing 'ba badiba ba' bullsh*t about some lotion or cream or gel or something. The tune sounds very familiar to an advert years ago called 'Them Bones' (not Alice in Chains) song (I think where the strange bloke made of timber sang to the kid?). Anyway, it really grinds my gears.:mad:

No there is another advert where yer wan is going around singing into her breakfast-sugar bar. Does me head in.

This the one?

I absolutely hate, it combines the horrible infantile music you get on the worst hipstery mobile ads, with th really annoying voices of the women singing and the smug heads of the actresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

This the one?

I absolutely hate, it combines the horrible infantile music you get on the worst hipstery mobile ads, with th really annoying voices of the women singing and the smug heads of the actresses.

That's not it. That's bad enough all on its own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

No I don't, but! My Nokia has a flashlight! Huzzah! :pac:

:rolleyes:

Larianne wrote: »
    No I don't, but! My Nokia has a flashlight! Huzzah! :pac:

:rolleyes:

I have an app on my HTC for that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Hate hate hate the McDonalds ads "it wrecks the cheeses"

They're rerunning it :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement