Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Ref Commission ads.

I vote for Sprinkles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

God I loved the Critic...must hunt up some old episodes...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

The kid in the Toy Show ad will haunt my dreams forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

"My Mummy liketh theth wathing up tablets"... and then she licks a fecking plate! puke!

What the hell, Aldi?

Hate that kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

My god that RTE guide ad is pure sh*te :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I just realised today, that time of the year it's getting closer and closer... so what will Meteor have for us this Christmas? Beardy McSmug strikes back? God forbid.... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Apologies if it's been mentioned already, but that follow-on milk/formula/whatever advert with the punchline..."Why stop protecting them?"

Well it certainly was a shock to discover how much I must hate my kids. :rolleyes:

Stork

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

That wretched ad for some slimming pill with yer yan making orgasm noises in a clothes shop changing room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

The ad for UPS is starting to really annoy me. The one with the images of the London Olympics and the song 'Amoré', except the lyrics are changed to 'That's logistics'.

There's just something so, I don't know, American about it that really p*sses me off.

I like America, but trying to transpose an American ad for an Irish audience just doesn't work usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

By the way, it's competitor, DHL also has ads running round the clock that don't come close to annoying me the same way. They're the ones with the 'Ain't no mountain high enough' tune.

Despite the frequency with which it's on TV, I'm surprisingly neutral on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Eircom Ads are so bad, the one where the daughter says she's going to a festival. Ugh.

Ben and Jerrys taking bull sh*t about how life is unfair!

What's even more unfair is your absurdly high prices you hypocritical dicks :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Sigh, again with the frowny faces. You know, for me, they're really starting to get more annoying than the ads themselves.

Finally, I got that out of my system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Well it seems all ads on tv are cringeworthy, so much so that I often get up out of my chair and start pacing up and down in another room until the adbreak ends. Really these tv stations should start refusing these cringeworthy ads. The worst ads of all tend to be the really short ones that you see when going to/returning from a commercial break of a particular show, such as the ITV IBM ads for the rugby world cup.

Some of the worst ads:
    RTE guide: It's pretty bad but not cringeworthy until the last few seconds when your man's voice goes all horrible and he says the word "dance" in a way that I would rather hear nails on a chalkboard. Very often leave my chair for that one.

Eircom ads with your man with a face I would love to punch at the call centre diagnosing problems with connections: Hard to pinpoint why but the voices are annoying, the stories are cheesy and eircom is generally terrible which rules out me liking any of their ads.

UPS ads: Unlike a previous poster I think that this is too British, and after the first couple of lines the song's quality degenerates into muck.

I'm sure there are many others that I hate, but which I have managed to block from my memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭optogirl

matthew8 wrote: »

Some of the worst ads:
    RTE guide: It's pretty bad but not cringeworthy until the last few seconds when your man's voice goes all horrible and he says the word "dance" in a way that I would rather hear nails on a chalkboard. Very often leave my chair for that one.

I lika whena movies maka me cryyyyyyyyy (jesus)

NIall Quinn - Can you see the sky?

nah but seriously - who is Harvey Norman?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Yoghurt ad where the womans friends want to know how she lost weight, so as soon as she leaves the room they start ransacking the place, going through her bin and cabinets :confused:

Those two annoying, alcoholic, monotone dickheads on the "Tetleys sponsors real mens TV" ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Travy1991

Those damn yogurt ads annoy me beyond belief!!! Or any other food ads that have "only so many calories" or will "help you slim down". They always feature irritatingly ditzy British middle aged women with high pitched, squeaky voices!

I agree with the previous poster that says most ads are cringeworthy! Particularly Irish ads, they all try too hard to be funny. The new Eircom ad is particularly bad with the little girl who's going to "bunk into a festival". I'm sure she'll have a nice future with Fair City though.

I know the current Meteor ad is really popular at the moment with everyone getting something free but what annoys me about these ads are that the sets and the people are dressed in '70s clothing/decoration. That's the annoying thing about Meteor ads, they always have people that they looked like they jumped out of the 1960s/1970s or they're a bunch of douchebag hipster students!

Oh and I want to punch "Chicken Balls" in the face! (which may be the point).

Anyways apologies about the ranting. I'm really not the angry, humourless person I appear to be here.

The plonker who paints the walls of a room even though he's in agony. Then the wife shows up with a magic gel and he can suddenly stand up straight! :confused:

Also Craig Doyle should be shot for loitering outside a family's house in the dark! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sam V Smith

Travy1991 wrote: »
    Those damn yogurt ads annoy me beyond belief!!! Or any other food ads that have "only so many calories" or will "help you slim down". They always feature irritatingly ditzy British middle aged women with high pitched, squeaky voices!

I agree with the previous poster that says most ads are cringeworthy! Particularly Irish ads, they all try too hard to be funny. The new Eircom ad is particularly bad with the little girl who's going to "bunk into a festival". I'm sure she'll have a nice future with Fair City though.

I know the current Meteor ad is really popular at the moment with everyone getting something free but what annoys me about these ads are that the sets and the people are dressed in '70s clothing/decoration. That's the annoying thing about Meteor ads, they always have people that they looked like they jumped out of the 1960s/1970s or they're a bunch of douchebag hipster students!

Oh and I want to punch "Chicken Balls" in the face! (which may be the point).

Anyways apologies about the ranting. I'm really not the angry, humourless person I appear to be here.

I'm in that ad...

They were trying to go for weird / quirky.

IMO meteor and the FBD ads are currently well done. FBD is prob trying to be cringy but David O'Doherty doing the voiceover helps.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I'm in that ad...

They were trying to go for weird / quirky.
    Are you the guy from snatch comedy?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sam V Smith

darkdubh wrote: »
    Are you the guy from snatch comedy?

Ehm, I don't think that's me... no

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Elmo wrote: »
    IMO meteor and the FBD ads are currently well done. FBD is prob trying to be cringy but David O'Doherty doing the voiceover helps.

Meteor have never made a decent ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I hate all RTE ads that are ads for their own programmes :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

That knuckle head on before the real weather on Tv3.One PITA (pain in the..) after another.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

You know how little kids sometimes "say the darndest things" and it's funny when they say them in real life?

I hate it sooooo much when they try to translate that to ads. They don't work when it's not real, when it is just made up nonsense.

The whole reason it's funny/amusing to begin with is because it's amazing how the child is looking at things. If you just made it up then it's not funny, idiots. :mad:
    Travy1991 wrote: »
    The new Eircom ad is particularly bad with the little girl who's going to "bunk into a festival". I'm sure she'll have a nice future with Fair City though.

I agree 100% here. I also think there's something a bit perverse about her bringing this up, I think there are sexual connotations to that.

I also agree with you about the **** Meteor ads about the getting something for free. There is no point to that and I have no idea what they were sniffing when they thought that'd be a good series of ads to have. It is true that sometimes the mobile phone ads can be good, they are pretty much the only Irish ads that have ever been good. The eircom ad with the troll is ok too.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

optogirl wrote: »
    It's Mother Nature with your monthly gift (then she has to explain it incase the women it's aimed at didn't quite get it 'your peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriod)

She then asks 'where' the girl in question is keeping her pearl. I'll give you 3 guesses Mother Nature (hint: it's not her nostril)

The whole premise of the ad is just awful, as if your 'monthly gift' is some sort of punishment. Grrrrr

Why did they change the add? it used to have the girl dancing after and then they cut it out

Emobile V Meteor (Meteor wins yet they are the same company!).

I would have thought the girl having her friends around has a future in Soap Opera, the other little girl going on the "bunk" seems more talent, pity about the ad and the mother and father.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Just remembered another cringeworthy ad. That McDonalds one with the family who all appear to be kids, then when the kid comes out he says he doesn't want his dad to be an astronaut and is asked why he says "because you'll be aaaaages coming home at night". God I hate the sound of that kid when he says ages, it's clear he's putting it on totally. I hate the look of him too, and my dislike of him is strong enough to permanently put me off fair city, despite him only rarely appearing in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

wtfrzl.jpg

how exactly do you ask for a haircut like that in a barber shop?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement