Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Maybe it's just part of the male psyche but I quite like that ad. I'm sure the feminist groups would have a field day with it but I don't care. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

jmcc wrote: »
    Well perhaps it appeals to men with a sense of humour who don't want to be wine quaffing, cheese sniffing, moisturising "new" men visiting health spas for mud facials and colonic irrigation. :) But the ad does seem to be working if it is getting people talking.

Regards...jmcc

Except they've negated their already tenuous positions as Alpha Males due to the fact that they've been henpecked into going to said Spa by their emasculating girlfriends instead of knocking their respective blocks off as soon as the situation was proffered.

I have to love the ad's tagline though - Drink responsibly. What's the average Spa break, a long weekend perhaps? Nothing promotes responsible drinking like a bunch of manchildren going to the effort of staging an elaborate escape because they're unable to go 72 hours without skulling a few bottles! Although it's not so terribly far-fetched given that the country goes into mass meltdown when Good Friday arrives each year.

Most of the ads I find grating all happen to be alcohol related actually! The Bulmers troupe of gombeens, the Budweiser ad that has an overly long cacophonous build-up which climaxes in a smarmy indie guitar and a bunch of plebs getting drunk at a gig (very aptly broadcast following a news report on the Phoenix Park goings on), Bacardi's "It started with a party" campaign in which a bunch of conveniently diverse friends get drunk and decide to head off around the world, as one so often does.

Which is a shame because my all time favourite ad happens to be for drink too!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Arent you forgetting that awful Coors Lite dancing ad, that fcuking music! Evey Coors Lite ad has been Rocky Mountain sh1te now that I think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

The 123.ie ad.

Where the blonde woman talks with the weirdest accent at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Rasheed wrote: »
    The 123.ie ad.

Where the blonde woman talks with the weirdest accent at the start.

She has braces, which tend to causes you issues with your speech and the shape of your mouth, couple with how self conscious you are with them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

Elmo wrote: »
    She has braces, which tend to causes you issues with your speech and the shape of your mouth, couple with how self conscious you are with them on.

Braces? Her whole face is botoxed into next year. Unless her lips have braces too?

Can't see how you can afford to be very self concious when your going to front a major national ad campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

All the P&G ads that are being played non stop at the moment.

Especially the one which states that medals are not important at the Olympics all that matters is the colours you came in.

Yes I know they are probably trying to instill national pride and flog washing power to keep those flag colours bright but it laughable to say that athletes dont care about medals - love to see some from P&G say that to a swimmer etc who scarficed so much for 4, 8 + years for maybe one chance to win on the world stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Just seen the deeply deeply irritating Harvey Norman furniture ad where the price is given as "............ JUST 4-9-9 Euro!"
    I'm going to have to start avoiding the commercial breaks entirely, I just seem to be annoyed by them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Majesticzebras

Which is a shame because my all time favourite ad happens to be for drink too!
    [/QUOTE]

A classic! Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Not on TV but on the radio when the kid says they are soo boooooooored!

• Advertisement

She was self conscious of her speech but partook in a speaking advert?
    Anyway having braces doesn't give you a weird accent, thats bs. Plus I saw no braces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Kirby wrote: »
    Maybe it's just part of the male psyche but I quite like that ad. I'm sure the feminist groups would have a field day with it but I don't care. :p

Stupid sexist nonsense, designed to appeal to a 12 year old boy. Couldn't believe it when I saw it.

Rasheed wrote: »
    She was self conscious of her speech but partook in a speaking advert?
    Anyway having braces doesn't give you a weird accent, thats bs. Plus I saw no braces.

As a person who wore braces it does change the way you speak and you are conscious of them. You can see how the shape of her mouth goes over her teeth in a strange fashion, perhaps I was over self conscious of how my lips surrounded my train tracks and how my voice sounded.

Perhaps she isn't conscious that's why she did the ad. She probably has a strange voice but it is highlighted by the train tracks. And the fact that SHE. IS. OVER. DOING. HER. LINES. IN. A. BADLY. ACTED. KIND. OF. WAY. IMAGINE. CAR. INSURANCE. FOR. JUST. 250. EURO.

As a person who wore braces it does change the way you speak and you are conscious of them. You can see how the shape of her mouth goes over her teeth in a strange fashion, perhaps I was over self conscious of how my lips surrounded my train tracks and how my voice sounded.

Perhaps she isn't conscious that's why she did the ad. She probably has a strange voice but it is highlighted by the train tracks. And the fact that SHE. IS. OVER. DOING. HER. LINES. IN. A. BADLY. ACTED. KIND. OF. WAY. IMAGINE. CAR. INSURANCE. FOR. JUST. 250. EURO.
    I wore braces myself but it never gave me a D4/American accent! It gave me a lisp at best.

Anyway maybe its her botoxed face, as another poster said or her crazy looking eyes that annoy me.

One things for sure, she has turned me off 123.ie insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

if sky sports are trying to turn me off watching their sports channels, there doing a very good job, by putting on that annoying Heineken advert. :mad:

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    if sky sports are trying to turn me off watching their sports channels, there doing a very good job, by putting on that annoying Heineken advert. :mad:

It is everywhere for some reason. Is it a good song? It might be but I just want to punch that idiot. Heineken sales must be down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

It is everywhere for some reason. Is it a good song? It might be but I just want to punch that idiot. Heineken sales must be down.

the song is meh, but the whole advert defies logic to be honest and your man going on and on about the waiter taking his glass with the last bit left.:rolleyes: 31 hours on a train from paris to russia, leaving his g/f behind, retelling his tale to any one who would listen, you would think it was a story of a daring rescue or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I've grown to despise it tbh, especially the part where he pronounces 'lucky penny' as 'loooooky penny' :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kevez

god i hate that ad it does me nut in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    the song is meh, but the whole advert defies logic to be honest and your man going on and on about the waiter taking his glass with the last bit left.:rolleyes: 31 hours on a train from paris to russia, leaving his g/f behind, retelling his tale to any one who would listen, you would think it was a story of a daring rescue or something.
    Most annoying bits are when he repeatedly does this thing with his fingers showing how much was left in the glass then he does this slapping his hands together thing.Get over it ffs ya wally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

The go compare ads. STFU >_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Just remembered this maddening one this morning - "fleet wood would, would fleet wood" :mad:

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Just remembered this maddening one this morning - "fleet wood would, would fleet wood" :mad:

The fact that Pat McDonald paints won €100,000 worth of advertising across all Radio stations in the country is disappointing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

I don't watch ads i just pause my DVR leave the room for 3 mins then ff them
    thing is i live in the states where they have ads every 10 mins:mad:

gaelicred wrote: »
    I don't watch ads i just pause my DVR leave the room for 3 mins then ff them
    thing is i live in the states where they have ads every 10 mins:mad:

It getting just as bad here. TV is killing itself.

Do they have the Heineken ad over there?

It getting just as bad here. TV is killing itself.

Do they have the Heineken ad over there?

Yeah they do bloody annoying nearly as bad as Bud ad or as they call it the King of Beers King of Beers my arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Majesticzebras

The lotto.....'for one million euros, I'd.....'
    Really hate that one :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

AIB Mobile Banking - only for hipster **** !!

The David Beckham Burger King ads :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

gaelicred wrote: »
    The David Beckham Burger King ads :mad:
    To be fair though, if he wasnt a footballer he'ld most likely be working in one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement