Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

It makes sense from the guy pov (ie that it's good news that these aren't your kids). However I don't think it makes any sense at all in terms of what shes actually saying.

On one level it makes no sense because it appears she is essentially saying "I'm younger than their mother ... (but you don't know her anyway)".

Also I'd go even further to say it doesn't even make sense on that level either as what she's literally saying is "I'm the younger aunt" not "I'm the younger sister" or "I'm younger than their mother" so for all we know she's saying she's older than the kids mother but younger than one of the kids other aunts.

If she'd just said "oh, don't worry, these obnoxious little brats aren't mine" it would have been a lot clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

"Protect your kids, Never have them touch a germ-y soap pump again"

Ah excellent, let's dupe society into wrapping its young in a sterile bubble thereby turning them into weaklings that couldnt fight off a cold. Just so we can flog more of our product. Fúck off....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I cant recall what its meant to be floggin at this stage because I never make it to the end of the ad, but this one invloves people walking around in slow motion(as you do)surrounded by a winter/crimbo snow scape. Theres kids making snow angels, whilst levitating above the ground and the final scene has a little girl looking out her window to see her(presumably)big bro walking up the driveway. All accompanied by an off the production line ballad. Sounds harmless enough but it should come with a warning from the british dental association. ****ing wanna rip out my eyeballs everytime it comes on. Choc full of fakeness and contrived holiday "spirit". Give me bad santa any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Getting very sick of the Carlsberg "Great Escape" take off. Clever enough until the novelty wears off.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

tunguska wrote: »
    I cant recall what its meant to be floggin at this stage because I never make it to the end of the ad, but this one invloves people walking around in slow motion(as you do)surrounded by a winter/crimbo snow scape. Theres kids making snow angels, whilst levitating above the ground and the final scene has a little girl looking out her window to see her(presumably)big bro walking up the driveway. All accompanied by an off the production line ballad. Sounds harmless enough but it should come with a warning from the british dental association. ****ing wanna rip out my eyeballs everytime it comes on. Choc full of fakeness and contrived holiday "spirit". Give me bad santa any day.

That ad is for 02. Ran last year as well and is very popular.Song used, Winter Song, is a cover but orginally is years old I think. Think I remember reading market research saying it went down well with public. Like last years John Lewis ad.

Personally I actually like the 02 ad. Captures Christmas Spirit without being vomit inducing. Much worse ads out there such as Hello.ie, Boots , Meteor Christmas ads make me switch channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Duckjob wrote: »
    "Protect your kids, Never have them touch a germ-y soap pump again"

Ah excellent, let's dupe society into wrapping its young in a sterile bubble thereby turning them into weaklings that couldnt fight off a cold. Just so we can flog more of our product. Fúck off....
    Stupid product, stupid ad. You have to turn the "germy" tap off after washing your hands, so unless you have sensor taps in your bathroom it's a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Stupid product, stupid ad. You have to turn the "germy" tap off after washing your hands, so unless you have sensor taps in your bathroom it's a waste of money.

As a mate of mine pointed out, the thing about that ad that brings it to all levels of stupidity is that they are practically admitting their product sucks.

If their product "kills 99.9% of bacteria" as they say, then surely it wouldn't matter if your tap was "germy", cos after using their product, any germs from the "germy tap" would be eliminated.

Ridiculous, pointless ad that shoots their own product in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

libra02 wrote: »
    That ad is for 02. Ran last year as well and is very popular.Song used, Winter Song, is a cover but orginally is years old I think. Think I remember reading market research saying it went down well with public. Like last years John Lewis ad.

Personally I actually like the 02 ad. Captures Christmas Spirit without being vomit inducing. Much worse ads out there such as Hello.ie, Boots , Meteor Christmas ads make me switch channels.

Yeah Like that O2 Ad Winter song is an original by Sara Bareilles & Ingrid Michaelson.

I current HATE the TK Maxx christmas ad with the ginger fella with the big beard!

Yeah Like that O2 Ad Winter song is an original by Sara Bareilles & Ingrid Michaelson.

I current HATE the TK Maxx christmas ad with the ginger fella with the big beard!

You don't hear him talk or anything but you can tell from his body language etc that he thinks he's the cats Meowth. Big tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

"I won the health lottery!
    "We won the health lottery!"
    "I bought a car" (inane smile)
    "We bought new windows!"
    "I bought my Mum a mobility scooooo-ah!" (inane grin)
    "But we're saving the rest"

This ad has been the bane of my life these past few weeks.
    They all look chavtastic and the woman who bought her Mum a mobility scooooo-ah is the MOST annoying of the lot of them!
    Oh and the woman with the scraggy blonde hair extensions..
    Anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

fussyonion wrote: »
    "I won the health lottery!
    "We won the health lottery!"
    "I bought a car" (inane smile)
    "We bought new windows!"
    "I bought my Mum a mobility scooooo-ah!" (inane grin)
    "But we're saving the rest"

This ad has been the bane of my life these past few weeks.
    They all look chavtastic and the woman who bought her Mum a mobility scooooo-ah is the MOST annoying of the lot of them!
    Oh and the woman with the scraggy blonde hair extensions..
    Anyone else?

You're watching too much Channel 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

This ad creeps me out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

fricatus wrote: »
    I don't think it's any sort of great ad, but it does make sense... she means she's younger than the parent of the two kids. I thought that was fairly obvious :confused:

In fairness lads (and I'm assuming you're both male), part of the premise of this ad is that this is how female women of the fairer sex "communicate". It doesn't always make sense. You have to read between the lines! :D

As a few people have already mentioned, although everybody knows what she is trying to say, the phrase she uses is incorrect. Yea sure, she is trying to say she is younger than their mother, but "I'm their younger aunt" does not mean that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Those "Here come the Girls" ads that appear every year in the run up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Those "Here come the Girls" ads that appear every year in the run up to Christmas.

I've always had a project on the backburner to take those videos and recut them to the tune"who let the dogs out". Alas, I never get round to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

perfume and after shave ads wreck my head. they make fcuk all sense.

Also why do the crappy british stations always have ads for some dodgy window company and one company is so desperate they got that muppet craig doyle on the ad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Has anyone seen the Irish Times newspaper ad 'the story of how?'

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

meriwether wrote: »

Christ.

Isn't it 'the story of why?'?

Anyway, yeah, terrible ad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,914 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

When John Waters is writing his columns it becomes a story of "What the **** is he trying to say?!" :pac:

• Advertisement

The cat food ad "do I look like I'm stalking vegetables" has some of the most obnoxious sounding voice over actors in christendom.

That gambling phone type one where people pretend to shout in slow mo when they win is horrible. Such an annoying noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Lionel Richie whoring himself on the Walkers crisps ad. Everytime I see something like that it reminds me of Krusty The Klown, "Ohh, they drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Lionel Richie whoring himself on the Walkers crisps ad. Everytime I see something like that it reminds me of Krusty The Klown, "Ohh, they drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!"
    Jesus Yeah.Does he not make enough from the royalties for Dancin, on the ceilin,?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The Milicano ads are just plain stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Mc Love wrote: »
    The Milicano ads are just plain stupid

Yes, the big panic over spilling a tin of cheap instant coffee is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

meriwether wrote: »

Christ.

Currently on before every film in Cineworld. F*cking awful ad, I bet the eejits who came up with it think it's the business too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I think its Boots that are doing these ads that are 4 or 5 little mini-stories about a guy asking his girlfriend to stay over, a son saying something is unscented, 2 girls 'blagging their way into a posh hotel' and some other one all set to are you ready for love by Elton john, they are fcuking vile, I actually get mad when they come on. I already boycott Boots since they came to Ireland so nothing I can do about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭miss tickle

The Angelus,

The Catholic Church defo need some PR Guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

The Angelus,

They aren't charged for that advertising though are they? Free advertising on TV and Radio everyday so they can't complain I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

The Angelus,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement