Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭jobseeker999

Michael Parkinson does an insurance ad., mainly during the day I think. I despise it so much I don't just change the channel but turn the tv off altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PM23

houseplant wrote: »
    Has to be the new Eircom ad which starts out with the two annoying kids pretending to drive a car through streets projected behind them, then the guy kicking a point in a GAA jersey and finishes with the old couple getting a bucket of water thrown on them. Hate everything about that ad, really poor acting and sh1te graphics, terrible music too.
    Reeealy annoys me every time I see it.

Does the guy not kick the ball wide?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

OK magazine. Voice over woman talking about a 'harrowing' suicide story in a really chirpy and upbeat voice :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Elmo wrote: »

I despise these ads.

Most ads can't be accused of having any originality anyway, but these ads are actually taking it to another level by ripping off .... other ads. It's basically Ireland's answer to the UK 118118 ads.

What's worse the whole point of having the two runners who look like each other because they both have the same name/number. In the UK ad one guy is called '118' and the other is also called '118'. It makes sense!

However by having "twins" called "118" and "50" doesn't even make any sense. It's like the rip-off artist not only couldn't come up with an original idea but compounded it by missing the entire point of what the original ad was doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Have eircom ever made an ad that didn't make me want to throw the remote at the tv?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    Have eircom ever made an ad that didn't make me want to throw the remote at the tv?
    Back when they were called Telecom Eireann they made some classic ads in the 80's but now all their ad's seem to involve spoilt D4 brats giving cheek to adults.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Back when they were called Telecom Eireann they made some classic ads in the 80's but now all their ad's seem to involve spoilt D4 brats giving cheek to adults.

That and annoying cutesy family scenes, oh and the one of the guy in the call centre. I must be too young to remember TÉ :D

There's one I just saw advertising for ..... advertising.

It has this smarmy bearded manager git blathering on about how his accountant advised him to cut the marketing budget .... but he didn't and now he's sailing through the recession.

In terms of betraying sheer panic & desperation it's right up there with that ad a few years ago for the vintners association with the crappy session singers banging out horrible tunes practically begging people to go back to the pub with the promise of having a good time and finding love.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The Go Compare ad with Louis Spence.

As if those ads couldn't get any more nauseating, they now have Louis Spence on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Photi wrote: »
    Yeah yeah, but is it 'Overtired!' or 'Oh, they're tired'? I really need to know.

I know thats years old and all but just seeing it now..

The mother and I used to have serious arguments over that Vauxhall ad, I remain adamant to this day that the kid said "Oh, They're tired"..
    It would make no sense for him to just say "Overtired" and emphasize the word "Ovvvveeeeer".

• Advertisement

The Go Compare ad with Louis Spence.

As if those ads couldn't get any more nauseating, they now have Louis Spence on them.

+1

How in f*cks name did they think Louis Spence isnt as annoying as the Go Compare man? At least im immune to the Go compare man but i cant say that about that irritant Spence.

Temaz wrote: »
    I can't stand the new Meteor xmas ad's.

Thank god we have another oh i dunno....roughly 307 days before we have to witness that utter sh*te again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

That ad with some annoying girl sitting on a couch and shouting at a tv with some twat from The Only Way is Essex proposing to his gf. Worst ad I have seen all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

This Peugeot ad I saw yesterday.

I know it's not supposed to be taken seriously, but it's just such a horrible sentiment, "you don't have to care about things that don't directly affect you," that it really puts me off it.
    And like most ads that are supposed to be funny, it's not at all.

I think they've worked by now that the subset who fall for the "help a homeless man / feed a poor child in Africa" ads and the subset routinely jerking off over the latest car ad are almost mutually exclusive. That cat ad is like hitting a bullseye dead-on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

This:

Sufferdin jaysus what an obnoxious bollocks talking such painfully trite ****e in fake midatlantic accent. Irony of ironies - they are attempting to advertise advertising. FAIL

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

For me it has to be the eircom ad where the guy is sitting on the couch, he does a stupid walk over to the laptop and next thing he is at a concert, then he lands in a train where an equally dopey looking fella looks over at him.

Also the butter ad where the aul wan whinges on how "we export all our best things" as the son goes off with a box of clay.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

For me it has to be the eircom ad where the guy is sitting on the couch, he does a stupid walk over to the laptop and next thing he is at a concert, then he lands in a train where an equally dopey looking fella looks over at him.

I disagree..... it's a very clever, ambitious ad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Any of the febreze ads, throws rocks at the telly

Borderfox wrote: »
    Any of the febreze ads, throws rocks at the telly

lenor? GIMME :pac:

• Advertisement

Oh god. some conservatory place, guargian or cellusometing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    lenor? GIMME :pac:

Oh God, those ones with the really mingin' patchwork puppets

At one point you could apparently collect tokens and collect some of those. They were called "Lisa and Darren" IIRC... Ughhhh...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,365 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ads for perfume. Sex in a bottle. Our perfume will make you a desirable, sexy, sophisticated, self-centered, brainless, posturing, moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I know the Halifax "choir" ads have been mentioned on this thread before but I have to say that those adverts force me to hit the mute button as fast as I possibly can. The singing is truly atrocious, it must be on purpose, it couldn't have been cleared for broadcast by the company, unless the guy who signed off on it was hearing-impaired, and what's worse is the moronic self-satisfied grins on the singers' faces! Surely I can't be the only one who thinks the singing is bad beyond belief.

The new Subway ad seems to have roped some Irish rugby guy in with that boxing twat with the "sensitive mouf".

Sorry, but I still don't believe you eat that shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

catallus wrote: »
    I know the Halifax "choir" ads have been mentioned on this thread before but I have to say that those adverts force me to hit the mute button as fast as I possibly can. The singing is truly atrocious, it must be on purpose, it couldn't have been cleared for broadcast by the company, unless the guy who signed off on it was hearing-impaired, and what's worse is the moronic self-satisfied grins on the singers' faces! Surely I can't be the only one who thinks the singing is bad beyond belief.

No, they're horrendous, as is the idea generally of company choirs where they're all singing in their uniform - go team! Ugghhhh! And the singing is severely mawkish, especially that "I'll be there". Wacko Jacko must be spinning in his grave!

A mate of mine worked for Halifax for a while though, and said there's a lot of that corporate drone culture going on in there, being pushed down by management - all sorts of surveys asking questions like "do you think the values espoused by the Halifax brand have the potential to make the world a better place?" and similar crap like that. There were cardboard cutouts of that Howard Brown fella around the place. He said you couldn't make it up, so the cringeworthy ads are no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

That new "One year later" ad for Colgate sensitive or some ****e, do they actually expect us to believe that this crap is real?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,914 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The Babybel ad. It's just a bunch of kids chanting incomprehensible gibberish in the background.

Kinda like Mass in primary school. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Also the butter ad where the aul wan whinges on how "we export all our best things" as the son goes off with a box of clay.

I think the Eircom ad is quite clever.

The Kerrygold / Emigration ad is tedious I agree.
    The German mother character probably took one look at Holles street hospital and demanded they leave for the homeland immediately!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Really annoys me too, the way he pretends he's going up steps. In another version of the ad he kicks a Gaelic football in a way that nobody in a match ever would.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement