Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

That weird arse wiping obsessed wan must have escaped from her padded cell again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

The Spar ad's with that noob Fergus

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

The eircom ad on the train when the guy is sitting on a white box. As he gets up you can clearly see a hand coming out of the hole just before the box is pulled in. Cheap crappy ad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

That's aaaghhhhh advert where man is in toilet with air freshher with blind fold on and he's waving his hands around . I just want to spray him with rats piss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

I'm sure it has been mentioned (too lazy to check) but William Hill's 'bird is the word' ad is officially the worst thing ever. It needs one of those Futurama 'I don't want to live on this planet anymore' memes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭squonk

The English Sun ad with the little girl mouthing something unintelligible in the guise of a song is awful. The little girl looks like a mouthy little fecker that could do with a bit of discipline. There's an Irish version with just a VoiceOver and at least it's intelligible though still annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hate that RSA ad with the grieving mother on about her son getting killed on the roads.

Don't get me wrong, I feel genuinely sorry for any parent who's lost a child like that, but in the ad she talks about how he was drunk and swayed out onto the road!

What about the poor fecker that hit him? Probably some normal average Joe on his way home as well and this fella stumbles out in front of the car?!

But of course its the motorist that's demonised :( At least their latest one with the path breaking up behind the guy on his way to the pub and the message being to think about your way home before you head out brings a bit more balance to the scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That fcuking Hyuandai ad..."don't tell mom" and their stupid American accents. Really grates on me and plays on every stupid family stereotype going. And it always on!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

maximoose wrote: »
    That new "One year later" ad for Colgate sensitive or some ****e, do they actually expect us to believe that this crap is real?!
    Worst is the one where they're all in that focus group, "A little blood? Isnt that normal?", Im eating my fecking dinner you stupid cnut :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭marketty

'people with a CIMA qualification on their CV are considered thought leaders in their space'

WTF DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?!

Sure I'm considered a thought leader in the space between my ears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

marketty wrote: »
    'people with a CIMA qualification on their CV are considered thought leaders in their space'

WTF DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?!

Sure I'm considered a thought leader in the space between my ears

LOL, "thought leader" - I must put that one on my CV and see if I can wangle an extra zero at the end of my salary! :D

Sounds like the sort of thing CEOs like to call themselves. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Its probably been said many times on the thread (I hope) but the Carlsberg "Great Escape" ad really annoys me. If your such a cute hoor then just tell your missus you're not going to any fcukin health spa.

On the other hand I love the Coors Lite ad with the guy dancing his way to the bar, the one that only ever seems to be on during football matches, cant help but dance along each time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The Irish Times today has an article with a terrific description of one of the most annoying ads ever (not sure if the ad is actually running any more).

Quoting now, hope Boards doesn't get asked for €300 :D
    Pack some Lemsip

This product is essential in the heady contemporary workplace. I learned a lot about work from my favourite Lemsip Max Strength ad which features “Ian”, an ailing, insecure middle-aged man who is perpetually at risk of being supplanted by a smug young whippersnapper called “Pal”.

“Ian, I didn’t expect you back for ages,” says Pal.

“I was , but more to the point, what are you doing in my office,” asks Ian, firmly.

“Well, pal, with you out sick, the merger was going to go down the pan,” says Pal (I hate you Pal!). “Actually Pal, I spoke to them last night, they’re signing today,” says Ian triumphantly.

“But – you’re sick!” says Pal (he can’t believe what he’s hearing – in your face Pal!).

“Lemsip Max Strength, this sorts the men from the boys,” says Ian, in the process endorsing a depressing Hobbesian workplace where the old and sick are left to die and women don’t exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Ian was just trying to hold it all together. His wife had left him. His kids hated him and his dog wouldn't even greet him after work. Even his barber was out of town (by the look of it)?

Then "Pal" comes along and tries to throw a spanner in the works by spreading rumours that Ian couldn't cut it anymore in the demanding high-stress world of office work. It was clear that something had to be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Them two goofballs on the new Compare the Market ad

Come back Alexander Orlov!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

HARVEY NORMAN (caps deliberate) - how much business have they lost due to people getting headaches from a man roaring at them.
    Pat Shortt on that phone ad. 11890-2221. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Ad with song 'If your Abbey and you know it' for insurace.
    Northern Ireland makes THE worst song ads on the planet.
    'boys and girls come out to play, together in the park today' is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,914 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

'boys and girls come out to play, together in the park today' is another.

That song will forever play in my nightmares. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The monotone f*ckwit

"This is the story of why.."

I hate that ad so f*cking much... I don't honestly even know what it's for, it just happens to make me look for the remote every single time i hear it.

I scramble for the remote and press mute or change channel as quickly as possible.

When i have no cigarettes or when i'm off them, these ads annoy me even more, but this f*cking one really, really does my head in.. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,914 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

This is the story of...what the **** is John Waters trying to say?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Has this twat been mentioned yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭donegal_man

"Right price tiles, HALF PRICE SALE! Right price tiles, HALF PRICE SALE! Right price tiles, HALF PRICE SALE! Right price tiles, HALF PRICE SALE!"

SHUT THE HELL UP! :mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Those Renault ad "Afford to live again" drive me nuts. The radio goes off once I hear about yer ones immersion left on or Mr big spender going to buy food in the cinema.
    Seriousally!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

KoolKid wrote: »
    Those Renault ad "Afford to live again" drive me nuts. The radio goes off once I hear about yer ones immersion left on or Mr big spender going to buy food in the cinema.
    Seriousally!!!!

Gods I hate those: encouraging people to waste money (leave the immersion on for ages, buy really expensive food that's cheaper elsewhere) and equating buying a car with saving money.

I generally hate ads that use songs without apparently paying attention to the lyrics.

There was a ad a few years ago for a camera, which used "People Take Pictures of Each Other) by The Kinks, accompanying a series of smiling gimps taking pictures of, well, each other, and other nonsense.

The lyrics:
    People take pictures of the Summer,
    Just in case someone thought they had missed it,
    And to proved that it really existed.

Fathers take pictures of the mothers,
    And the sisters take pictures of brothers,
    Just to show that they love one another.

You can't picture love that you took from me,
    When we were young and the world was free.
    Pictures of things as they used to be,
    Don't show me no more, please.

People take pictures of each other,
    Just to prove that they really existed,

Just to prove that they really existed.
    And a moment could last them forever,
    Of the time when they mattered to someone.

People take pictures of the Summer,
    Just in case someone thought they had missed it,
    Just to proved that it really existed.
    And the moment to last them for ever,
    Of the time when they mattered to someone.
    Picture of me when I was just three,
    Sat with my ma by the old oak tree.
    Oh how I love things as they used to be,
    Don't show me no more, please.

A lot of ads associated with the Olympics used London Calling:
    London calling to the faraway towns
    Now that war is declared-and battle come down
    London calling to the underworld
    Come out of the cupboard, all you boys and girls
    London calling, now don't look at us
    All that phoney Beatlemania has bitten the dust
    London calling, see we ain't got no swing
    'Cept for the ring of that truncheon thing

CHORUS
    The ice age is coming, the sun is zooming in
    Engines stop running and the wheat is growing thin
    A nuclear error, but I have no fear
    London is drowning-and I live by the river

London calling to the imitation zone
    Forget it, brother, an' go it alone
    London calling upon the zombies of death
    Quit holding out-and draw another breath
    London calling-and I don't wanna shout
    But when we were talking-I saw you nodding out
    London calling, see we ain't got no highs
    Except for that one with the yellowy eyes

CHORUS

Now get this
    London calling, yeah, I was there, too
    An' you know what they said? Well, some of it was true!
    London calling at the top of the dial
    After all this, won't you give me a smile?

I never felt so much a' like

And now, there's a car ad with "Knocking on Heaven's Door" meant, I suppose, to suggest the car is heavenly to drive.
    But even ignoring lines like "It's getting dark, too dark to see, I feel I'm knocking on Heaven's door," "Mamma put these guns underground, I can't shoot them anymore, that long black cloud is coming down," how does the song's title and mournful tone not suggest that it's not such a cheerful little ditty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

What if...

Curiosity took you somewhere wonderful?

What if...

You haven't discovered your favourite wine yet?

THEN I'LL KEEP DRINKING TIL I FIND OUT AND PISS OFF

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

I see Barry Scott, the legend that he is, can pilot a fighter jet now.
    Amazing lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭764dak

I hate this ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Awake&Unafraid

I generally detest most ads on telly, but one that makes me want to smash my tv is the rte guide ad. "I hit the floor and don't care how I dance". Christ almighty I hope you do hit the floor, with your head!!

Also the cost plus sofas/ beds etc ones. In particular the one with the animated woman in the bed. Her whole body moves like she has rigormortis or something, yet she somehow manages to hop from the end of the bed like lightning. Creepy bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

The ladbrokes ad with the shouting Italian. Grossly offensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭pah

The entire Renault "afford to live again" campaign.

while humorous at first it really doesn't make a lick of sense.

"oh no I left the immersion on - is ok mary" and "turn on the heating, etc"

so you can't afford to leave the immersion on or the heating but you can afford €25k for a new car? ? WTF?

All in the name of saving a few hundred a year on tax/ins/fuel

piss off

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement