Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

The Sky one with Pierce Brosnan is starting to really bug me....and I've only seen it about 3 times!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

An ad on the radio for a certain feline theatrical performance saying that tickets are selling fast
    If that's the case, why are bus shelters plastered with the thing as well as sides of buses? also, there is a red side band with some suggestion as to when best to get a ticket.
    No dice. Sorry I don't want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why the fcuk are RTE in the year 2013 pushing the fact that you can have subtitles on programmes down your throat every ad break? Why did they have to spend so much on an ad anyway? Everyone who need subtitles know they exist ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Awful song on the ad for strawberry alarm clock.
    So bad... he rhyhmes 'clock' with 'Mark'.
    He speeds up and slows down to make lines fit.
    Lyrics that sound like they were written by a five year old.
    Completely lifts the tune from this song...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

These...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Guinness ad's have been absolute muck lately. Guinness cloud now Guinness clock. Feck off trying to be arty and get back to the good old days

LIKE THIS! still remember it like 20 years on :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The advert for secret escapes, where yer wan whispers at everything, and at the end says "go! go!" when her husband asks...... :mad:

And the one where (for no reason i can see) the girl is whispering while the guy pretends to run down the road for coffee, and just sticks his head out the door in the rain..

Actually the sound of anyone "whispering" in anything on tv is annoying as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

This: http://youtu.be/pj2kZI4L5ZQ

It's not even that the ad is that bad or annoying, it's the slogan;
    "Powered by glucose" Really?! And that is a good thing?! Do people actually fall for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I like that Specsavers ad, actually. :o;)

I'm going to dig up another ad from a few years ago - the Charleville one with that narcoleptic lady.

"Cut off the crusts, will you... block of cheese would be delicious... Jack likes that with beans for his lunch..."

Then she goes to the fridge, can't find the cheese - and immediately, without closing the fridge door, falls to her knees and goes back to sleep...

wtf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The McDonalds ad where yer man at the end hands in €2 for the burger with a stupid expression on his face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Broadband choices does my head in and the Southern Comfort ad with the man walking down the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The ad for the HTC phone. Drives me mental. It's all over the internet.

"Trend spot. Return of the 70's hair cut....." "My potato looks like Elvis. Like. Like. Like".

F*cking ad. I most certainly do not like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Kirby wrote: »
    The ad for the HTC phone. Drives me mental. It's all over the internet.

"Trend spot. Return of the 70's hair cut....." "My potato looks like Elvis. Like. Like. Like".

F*cking ad. I most certainly do not like.
    Adblock is my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 JackPerry

Zeek12 wrote: »
    The Sky one with Pierce Brosnan is starting to really bug me....and I've only seen it about 3 times!!
    #T

The TV vession of this ad works ok but it is flawed. However the radio version is actually at cross purposes with itself. Like the tv ad, the radio ad has the idea of people overlooking Pierce Brosnan in favour of a Sky broadband sign behind him.
    At the end of the ad Brosnan goes on the say " No need to make a fuss about me" whereas the whole point of the ad is that they are not making a fuss about him in the first place.
    The idea of the ad has some merit but it is so badly executed....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

rory mclroy i adore him, i really do, but the adverts he's doing just piss me off :mad: just no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

The market strategies by ALL mobile phone operators in Ireland for the flagship devices, eg Sony Xperia Z, Blackberry Z10, HTC One are all pretty messed up and bananas:p in general.
    I was going to purchase a Blackberry Z10, but well, I'm now getting a Nintendo 3DS XL using the money I was going to use for that.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TheKaiserChief

Stupidest add on TV right now is the Airways chewing gum add with all those people dancing and blowing horns to the tune of 2Unlimited.

Like the girl on the beach, the ref, the guy in the desert and the dancing girls etc

Who comes up with this sh1t????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

I saw this thread and automatically thought of rory mcilroy and santander, i see people have got in their before me.

I think only UK have santander though, there are massive cardboard cutouts of him and jessica ennis in every branch and billboards, you can't escape the annoying ponse.

A few months ago I was angry after a banking problem and i was confronted by 2 billboards of him on the way home from the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

That "even an adult could get it" ad drives me mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

Clearly dubbed ads, the current "it grows back" Magnum one for example, where they just show bland ppl giving reaction expressions rather than their mouths moving. The voices in the ads are always an alienating part-posh English accent that no real person, here or in the UK, actually sounds like. Its as if some marketing **** invented it as an accent that their 'aspirational' target audience would relate to and trust. The equivalent mens voice in these ads is even worse. These ads are everywhere nowadays for any product that's sold across the EU, presumably so they can shoot one and dub it in 20 languages.

The ad for James Mays Quiz game falls into the so-bad-it's-good category:

The Bulmers ads purely for the voice of your man, part South Dublin, part put-on deep throated Englishness, an ugly hybrid that makes him sound like the most insincere man in the world

• Advertisement

Hate any ads where children act like grown ups. The one where the girl won't give her father a biscuit because she 'doesn't think he's ready'.
    Dad should grab the packet off her and say 'Yea? Well I payed for them you obnoxious little brat'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭squonk

One that seriously bugs me is the Johnston Mooney & O'Brien ad at the moment showing great moments from Irish history. the visuals aren't too bad, but the bloody music! Sounds like some marketing people thought 'lets get something very Dublin and, what's more Dublin than Glen Hansard', so they went off and got some wanker to write some insipid 'Ah things were great long ago' ditty and sing it in an oul' dub 'sure amn't I great' Glen Hansard style roaring effort. Bloody awful. It's put me off the bread to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

UPC mother aaargh.

Smug, she'll be ringing joe Duffy saying all they eat is cornflakes- bet the husband's a Garda Sargent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Zeek12 wrote: »

Mildly amusing the first time, now I can't stand it. I'd love to change it so that he tells that auld fella complaining about blocking the telly to fup right off!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Laya healthcare are doing a one year anniversary special edition of all their googly eyed freaks staring into the camera in the one ad :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

The lucozade ad with that black fella appearing and reappearing in different places.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

darkdubh wrote: »
    The lucozade ad with that black fella appearing and reappearing in different places.

I actually like that! Made me laugh when I saw it anyway

Some UTV product with an annoyingly serious man walking around saying 'spade, a good feed' etc and another one where he lowers his seat. have never met the man but I really hate his guts. Ad makers seem obsessed with casting the most unlikeable people they can find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Thargor wrote: »
    Laya healthcare are doing a one year anniversary special edition of all their googly eyed freaks staring into the camera in the one ad :rolleyes:

As if they need to celebrate their first anniversary in the first place. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Can't say I'm the biggest fan of this thrush ad:

To the lady in the flip chart: it may be a natural instinct to hide your womanhood (however unspectacular it is), but is there really much point when everyone has already seen it for a second and a half? :o:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,163 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The new Sky movies ad, solely because of Leonardo DiCaprio shouting something that sounds like "I defy you stars!"

So annoying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement