Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

darkdubh wrote: »
    No because there seems to be no creativity at work any more with advertising agencies,its all make ads that are so annoying that people are bound to remember them.

I wouldn't say there is no creativity. Compare the Meerkat was clever and they kept it fresh without just repeating the same ad over and over and over again. Ikea could learn from them. The meerkats became so popular people started to go onto the website just trying to buy meerkat toys. Ikea's gnomes, while I appreciate the joke, if their gnomes became popular, you could get them anywhere, Woodies, B&Q etc. This ikea ad and the one before both fail in my opinion because it doesnt make the brand stick in your mind. Its a series of scenes and at the end is the ikea logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Heroditas wrote: »
    The Eircom ad with that ghastly song sung by Grimes: "Oblivion". Incredibly irritating.

Oh and the Lucozade ad, mainly because it now appears on Youtube and you have to watch the first few sceonds when it says "oh just another one of those hedge-trimming..." ... SKIP!

Yes, both of those ads suck big time

syklops wrote: »
    I wouldn't say there is no creativity. Compare the Meerkat was clever and they kept it fresh without just repeating the same ad over and over and over again. Ikea could learn from them. The meerkats became so popular people started to go onto the website just trying to buy meerkat toys. Ikea's gnomes, while I appreciate the joke, if their gnomes became popular, you could get them anywhere, Woodies, B&Q etc. This ikea ad and the one before both fail in my opinion because it doesnt make the brand stick in your mind. Its a series of scenes and at the end is the ikea logo.

The meerkat ads are the salvation of a dark era for TV advertising. Every one of them (and there have been quite a few) has its moments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Anyone remember this drink ad that was on in the late 90's,I know its a while back but it had the most unlikeable character I've ever seen in any ad.I think it was for Tia Maria or something like that and showed a security guard in an American style apartment building who spots a party on the CCTV going on an apartment .He knocks on the door and the smuggest,most punchable looking prick in the world opens it then shuts it in yer mans face again without a word.He made the Meteor smugbeard man look likeable in comprision.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Theres a smart tv ad where a kid arranges some items on a tray in a creepy way then a camera pops out of the tv and he gives it a nervous forced grin like its in North Korea or something and it has the worst music ever "I COLLECT SNAILS AND I COLLECT HAW-SES!!!"

P1sses me off everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Thargor wrote: »
    Theres a smart tv ad where a kid arranges some items on a tray in a creepy way then a camera pops out of the tv and he gives it a nervous forced grin like its in North Korea or something and it has the worst music ever "I COLLECT SNAILS AND I COLLECT HAW-SES!!!"

P1sses me off everytime.

You should hear the rest of their songs.. "The Lovely Eggs"

"Either Loved or (just) Misunderstood"... (That's a quote from a hipster DJ in Cornwall, or thereabouts)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I know it's been said already but those No Nonsense adverts make me want to track down whoever is responsible and drop bricks on them from a great height

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭pcomer

and drop bricks on them from a great height

or Norah Casey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭donegal_man

pcomer wrote: »
    or Norah Casey

Not even I would be that cruel! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Eircom ad with that ghastly song sung by Grimes: "Oblivion". Incredibly irritating.

Oh and the Lucozade ad, mainly because it now appears on Youtube and you have to watch the first few sceonds when it says "oh just another one of those hedge-trimming..." ... SKIP!

Ads on youtube? wha? get adblocker my friend

krudler wrote: »
    Ads on youtube? wha? get adblocker my friend

There are some ads you cant get around. They are on the video itself. Id not seen an ad on the internet in yonks until recently and it was tacked onto the start of the video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

efb wrote: »
    Lucozade guy a complete rip off of v clever old spice ad

So stupid the way the man asks him what his bottle of lucozade is :confused:.
    You would have to be living under a rock your whole life to not know a fcuking bottle of lucozade when you see it.

There are some ads you cant get around. They are on the video itself. Id not seen an ad on the internet in yonks until recently and it was tacked onto the start of the video.

Have you all the correct filters? I've not seen site nor sound of any type of Ad on youtube, in a long time.

(Except for the ones posted here to show how annoying they are. . ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

It just clicked with me that the guy featured in the new Bulmers ad (dire btw) is the Orgazoid from Peep show who "employed" Jeremy as a handyman back in season 4

They've removed the "Smooooth" in the Tampax ad, and she doesn't sing ♪♫ "on a bummpy roooaadd" ♪ ♪ ♫ anymore.

Thank f**k.

The ad with the girl brushing her teeth and she is supposed to be getting old.. She just looks freaky, not old.
    I hate her face.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Allyall wrote: »
    They've removed the "Smooooth" in the Tampax ad, and she doesn't sing ♪♫ "on a bummpy roooaadd" ♪ ♪ ♫ anymore.

Thank f**k.

The ad with the girl brushing her teeth and she is supposed to be getting old.. She just looks freaky, not old.
    I hate her face.

Same with that ad where the topless man walks along and gets fatter and older as he goes. Really badly done graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

God damn that stupid Rowntree's ad with the bellend dressed as a parrot going WRRAAARGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

That new Coke advert for the named Bottles. Looks like they cast a bunch of failed candidates from the UCD student union election. Fcuk off on the boat to Australia and down the mines with ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I hate that ad with the guy swapping Coke Zero for regular Coke in the cinema and then appearing on the screen to tell everyone what he's done.

It's unbelieveably lame for one, but it endorses doing something really dodgy, in the sense that people are not getting what they asked for. In my head is a spoof of that ad where someone hops up in the cinema and goes "you b*stard! I'm allergic to aspartame! Ahgggghhhlllll!!!" and then dies a horrible, gurgling death. :D

Seriously though - hey kids, I thought I'd swap your regular M&Ms with these peanut ones. Don't they taste great? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭santana75

fricatus wrote: »
    I hate that ad with the guy swapping Coke Zero for regular Coke in the cinema and then appearing on the screen to tell everyone what he's done.

It's unbelieveably lame for one, but it endorses doing something really dodgy, in the sense that people are not getting what they asked for. In my head is a spoof of that ad where someone hops up in the cinema and goes "you b*stard! I'm allergic to aspartame! Ahgggghhhlllll!!!" and then dies a horrible, gurgling death. :D

Seriously though - hey kids, I thought I'd swap your regular M&Ms with these peanut ones. Don't they taste great? :eek:

+1. Really wanna punch that guy. Horrible ad in every way, false advertising plus worst of all coke is ****ing poison. Coke zero is probably even worse. Aspartame riddled vile.

fricatus wrote: »

Its so stupid, because unless you smoke about 80 a day you could tell that it was Coke zero straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭pah

The new upc ad with the mother of the family talking. The kids are all online on the TV on the Web blah blah blah, husband watching tv so it ends up that she has the one thing that "money can't buy" - "peace"

fair enough except for one thing

You just fukking BOUGHT IT you just bought "peace" with fukking money. upc costs money - you bought upc ergo you bought "peace" the entire ad is set up to show what you can get by buying this service. The end result for you is "peace" and youve paid for it.

TIt.

Getting on my tits.

/Rant

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

That new Coke advert for the named Bottles. Looks like they cast a bunch of failed candidates from the UCD student union election. Fcuk off on the boat to Australia and down the mines with ye.

"Thanks for the Christmas shift, that was pretty good!" :rolleyes:

The sky ad where the one goes "Wait til I tell you, they're downloading so much at home now its ridiculous!". She must have a very boring life if the fact her kids are downloading alot is news for her friend.

"Your quad muscles are ridiculous". Good ridiculous? Bad ridiculous? Too big? Too small? Weirdly shaped?

Allyall wrote: »

Thank f**k.

I hate her face.

That ad is even more annoying with the recent change. Its so badly edited.

Mother Nature:(garbled) ough??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Meta/deconstruction/self-reference seems to be the thing now.
    That go compare prick being all parodic and postmodern in the new Ads.
    Yes we get that you get that you're annoying.
    Some self-aware shtick doesn't make you more endearing.

Another metacrap ad is that Steven Merchant bank ad from a while back with the bould Stevo doing a voiceover oh-so-casually pointing out all the irrelevant and pointless ad tropes (in self-same ad- Jaysus that's mad) in his (ironically unreconstructed) smartass way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Yes that Grimes song does my head in too, so much that I had to google it. I'm sure Eircom would be delighted to know its actually a song about a sexual assault she endured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Another metacrap ad is that Steven Merchant bank ad from a while back with the bould Stevo doing a voiceover oh-so-casually pointing out all the irrelevant and pointless ad tropes (in self-same ad- Jaysus that's mad) in his (ironically unreconstructed) smartass way.

That was Barclays or something wasn't it? Wasn't there a roller-coaster in it?

The second / follow up rugby insurance ad. He over emphasises "laptop-o-rooney" and the "pause, engage" at the end is cringe worthy.

I quite liked the first ad so this tripe just ruins it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The second / follow up rugby insurance ad. He over emphasises "laptop-o-rooney" and the "pause, engage" at the end is cringe worthy.

I quite liked the first ad so this tripe just ruins it.
    Removed my thanks when I saw you said you liked the first one? :eek:

Fcuking nightmare that ad, how long have they had it on repeat at this stage? Years anyway by now, you could literally play it on a loop in Guantanemo Bay as torture, dont even remember what its for aswell.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Removed my thanks when I saw you said you liked the first one? :eek:

Fcuking nightmare that ad, how long have they had it on repeat at this stage? Years anyway by now, you could literally play it on a loop in Guantanemo Bay as torture, dont even remember what its for aswell.

Its for insurance but despite the millions of times ive seen it I dont remember which company, which means the marketeers have done a poor job.

The only reason I like it is because it caricatures people I know. D4 living, rugby mad, say "good night!" during the day time, only time they were ever in the northside in their lives was for the rugby games back in 2007, and then it was straight back to the 51 on Haddington Road for a few pints of Beamish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement