Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

"she fancies you Rob"

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    "she fancies you Rob"

:mad:

'I didn't really like you, but of it wasn't fo....'

TWAAAAT! :D

Also the Berocca 'Actually, I do.'
    How many takes of that did they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

The Crunchy Nut Corn Flakes 'don't make any noise' ads, particularly the granola one

Granola is rotten anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

No specific ads in mind but any of them trying to sell menopausey/retirementy products - almost invariably have pictures of denture-laden middle aged folk with silver hair eating apples and sitting on park benches etc, and just generally looking fake and too happy...and too denturey. I hate Mondays.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mc Love wrote: »
    Watch it the next time its on...especially the scene with the mom in the bath, there's one of her relaxing...then the next shot is how you say awkward :D

Nope, you've lost me there. She's in the bath, finds a kid's toy and is then shown giving the baby a bottle. What's filthy about that?
    pcomer wrote: »

Completely lost me as well

You are both obviously not old enough to understand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The 123.ie ads doing the rounds these days are among the worst in living memory. I particularly hate the one with the guy clicking his fingers at stuff, and then clicks his fingers at the dog and nothing happens...he then says "if only everything in life was as easy". What the f**k does that mean? Why did all the other sh*t magically work when he clicked his fingers but the dog didn't disappear (or whatever it is he was trying to do)?

The real problem with those ads are the bits where people who work for them deliver the lines (we know they work for them because they have a little side note saying "actually works for the company!!!"...yeah, yipee!) in this really awful monotone. At least they stopped using that "Ivan Answer" cheeseball CGI thing.

On a more positive note: I actually really like the NoNonsense.ie ads in general, particularly the one with the boy racer going "25 today so I am, ya big HAM ya!" Makes me laugh, which is all you can ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭marketty

The Crunchy Nut Corn Flakes 'don't make any noise' ads, particularly the granola one

Granola is rotten anyway

But it's granola...GRANOOOOLA!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭pcomer

pcomer wrote: »

You are both obviously not old enough to understand!

How old does that have to be - I'm in my mid thirties. Would u just explain what you are on about instead of beating around the bush and questioning peoples age etc....

1st scene: Woman in bath - looks like she is enjoying her time, relaxing etc..

2nd scene: Aaaaand she is done :pac: looks at the toy she was using :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

What ad was this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

I checked back about 5 pages and didn't see any posts about the hello.ie ads with the young lad in the classroom in front of a load of f#cktards,

''You've all gosh maaawrgages, you've all got maaawrgage protection, rishe?''

Makes me want to harm small animals.

wilddarts wrote: »
    I checked back about 5 pages and didn't see any posts about the hello.ie ads with the young lad in the classroom in front of a load of f#cktards,

A few people mentioned it earlier. What have the animals done? Seems to me they aren't nearly as responsible as small children.

My Dad, who is fazed by nothing else on television absolutely hates that kid. He hates the smugness of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Those bingo ads that just show people eating or cycling.

???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

syklops wrote: »
    My Dad, who is fazed by nothing else on television absolutely hates that kid. He hates the smugness of him.

Another +1 for that ad who the xxxx thinks these ads up there a crap of the highest order I would after seeing that ad never use that company.

The new Wimax ad - how many stupid songs can they come up with even though its the same music

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The new lotto ad where people abandon their homes, jobs and children in order to go on a 2 week holiday with some dickhead.

So many infuriating aspects to this ad, but the worst is the bit when they all arrive at the airplane that knob features has rented, he lowers his arms in order to silence the plebs with the smuggest bloody face I've ever had the displeasure of not punching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

He's a millionaire though. Getting that wealthy all of a sudden would make one smug so I suppose its accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The toy that doesn't look like a vibrator or a sex toy?

Too much time on your hands methinks.

Coke actually gave two focking awful ads on the go at once. They have that quad muscles, ucd student shower of ****bags, and they have king gob****e, the lad in the cinema pawning off rotten coke zero as real coke. Tastes great, right? No. No it doesn't.

• Advertisement

The toy that doesn't look like a vibrator or a sex toy?

Too much time on your hands methinks.

But it is on and moving :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

the two things that strike me about the advert are 1) the man sitting down looks like he should have auditioned for a role in Adam & Paul and 2) the posh kid has cauliflower ears, probably from under 12's rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

When Willem Dafoe is reduced to doing a voiceover for a polar bear in a frozen fish finger ad, all bets are truly off.

But yeah that Stena ad is awful. At the end he says he calls it "a carcation", and that it's "fantastic, like the ship". Now...this "carcation" amounts to taking a trip on the ship...so, does he mean the WORD "carcation" is fantastic, like the ship? Because that is one of the saddest sentences in the English language if he does.

And I can use my phone!

The last time I was on a ferry there was no reception??!! Annoys me everytime!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Coke actually gave two focking awful ads on the go at once. They have that quad muscles, ucd student shower of ****bags, and they have king gob****e, the lad in the cinema pawning off rotten coke zero as real coke. Tastes great, right? No. No it doesn't.
    I don't get this ad. I actually don't mind Coke Zero, it tastes okay, but it tastes nothing like full Coke! Trying to pretend it does is stupid!

phasers wrote: »
    I don't get this ad. I actually don't mind Coke Zero, it tastes okay, but it tastes nothing like full Coke! Trying to pretend it does is stupid!

Exactly, it makes no sense. If they tasted the same then they could just make coke that way and announce it gas no calories now. They never made this mistake with diet coke, they knew it tasted different and just made a virtue of it. With this they've decided the best thing to do is put a sad boy band reject who now works a ****ty cinema job in front of us to lie to our faces. TA-DAAA!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Atticus Jung

+1. That line is like nails on a chalkboard. It must work because its on all the time. Little ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Exactly, it makes no sense. If they tasted the same then they could just make coke that way and announce it gas no calories now. They never made this mistake with diet coke, they knew it tasted different and just made a virtue of it. With this they've decided the best thing to do is put a sad boy band reject who now works a ****ty cinema job in front of us to lie to our faces. TA-DAAA!!!!

I have a feeling though that the coca cola company and lucozade makers know full well their ads often make no sense and can be really annoying to watch. However their job is just to worm their way into your head, entertaining you is not part of it. It takes a lot of skill to do this without ruining your perception of the product, as many amateurish "bad but memorable" ads end up doing. Though I would never buy coke or lucozade anyway so I can't be sure.

I have a feeling though that the coca cola company and lucozade makers know full well their ads often make no sense and can be really annoying to watch. However their job is just to worm their way into your head, entertaining you is not part of it. It takes a lot of skill to do this without ruining your perception of the product, as many amateurish "bad but memorable" ads end up doing. Though I would never buy coke or lucozade anyway so I can't be sure.

No I understand that fully. I'm certainly not one of those people claiming that "that ad never made me want to buy this, so therefore it didn't work and I win". But it's about ads you despise, I enjoy bitching about them. I, like many here probably, consider myself a bit of a connoisseur of bad ads...

That said in this particular instance they are going down a blind alley since nobody buying Coke Zero is ever going to believe it tastes the same. Either they prefer the taste (for some reason) or they are willing to sacrifice taste for the sake of calories. Every low-calorie snake-oil salesman does what Coke are doing (cf. Special-K ads, Muller light ads, and generally any ad for Flora), it's just odd because they already demonstrated with Diet Coke that you can go a different road. The main one is not to have it fronted by a despicable pr1ck. Coke Zero ads have a bit of a history with being fronted by ar$eholes. Remember that sap on top of a bus shoutin about "girlfriends without five year plans"? Here's a tip, buddy: stop going out with fcuking Stalin!

But yeah that Stena ad is awful. At the end he says he calls it "a carcation", and that it's "fantastic, like the ship". Now...this "carcation" amounts to taking a trip on the ship...so, does he mean the WORD "carcation" is fantastic, like the ship? Because that is one of the saddest sentences in the English language if he does.

That sentence grinds my gears as well. He goes "Its Fantastic! Like the ship!". To my ears that might make sense if there was a famous ship called The Fantastic, but there isn't. I mean, you might say that something is "white, like the iPad", or you might say someone is "really funny, like that Dom Joly guy". So how does, "Its fantastic, like the ship" work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

syklops wrote: »
    A real Billy Barry footsoldier if I ever saw one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement