Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

Not despise as such, just think it's funny how RTE pull out all the stops to ensure that adverts for the (10 months later) broadcast of The Walking Dead never show the slightest trace of the undead apocalypse setting. I know it's so they can show before the watershed, and the undead have never been the primary subject of the books or the show anyway, so perhaps it should actually be commended...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Just saw the Meteor one doing the rounds at the moment, where the "Smart Phone" is an American dude sitting in your car for some reason. Someone very clever earlier in this thread pointed out that the ad is actually pretty funny until your one ruins the joke by saying "they're roads", pretty much explaining the joke that everyone had already understood.

Which is grand, and true. But here's my problem with that ad, and I think phone ads more generally tend to be guilty of this (especially Meteor and Vodafone for some reason):

Fake, "cool" chattiness with what I can only describe as an awkward use of Dublin slang that they must think makes them sound pretty "with it" or something.

In this ad, the voice over says "if your smart phone doesn't do [whatever], it's not smart, it's thick!"

Then later he says you get 5 gigs of data, "which is SHEDloads!"

I dunno if I can explain why that annoys me so much (does anyone actually say "shedloads" when they mean ****loads?

Maybe it's just that he sounds like a pr1ck, which he does. But I think there's more to it than that. It's just got too much of a vibe of the for-profit company trying to say "we aren't a for-profit company, we're your mate".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Just saw the Meteor one doing the rounds at the moment, where the "Smart Phone" is an American dude sitting in your car for some reason. Someone very clever earlier in this thread pointed out that the ad is actually pretty funny until your one ruins the joke by saying "they're roads", pretty much explaining the joke that everyone had already understood.

Which is grand, and true. But here's my problem with that ad, and I think phone ads more generally tend to be guilty of this (especially Meteor and Vodafone for some reason):

Fake, "cool" chattiness with what I can only describe as an awkward use of Dublin slang that they must think makes them sound pretty "with it" or something.

In this ad, the voice over says "if your smart phone doesn't do [whatever], it's not smart, it's thick!"

Then later he says you get 5 gigs of data, "which is SHEDloads!"

I dunno if I can explain why that annoys me so much (does anyone actually say "shedloads" when they mean ****loads?

Maybe it's just that he sounds like a pr1ck, which he does. But I think there's more to it than that. It's just got too much of a vibe of the for-profit company trying to say "we aren't a for-profit company, we're your mate".

My only annoyance of the use of shedloads is that 5 Gigs isnt really shedloads. In polite or formal company I would say shedloads instead of sh!tloads. I think the phrase shedloads is fairly common.

syklops wrote: »
    My only annoyance of the use of shedloads is that 5 Gigs isnt really shedloads. In polite or formal company I would say shedloads instead of sh!tloads. I think the phrase shedloads is fairly common.

Fair enough on the shedloads...although "loads" would do if they're that polite. I still stand by the criticism, which is that them saying it is annoying.

Fair enough on the shedloads...although "loads" would do if they're that polite. I still stand by the criticism, which is that them saying it is annoying.

They're hardly going to say sh!tloads on a tv commercial are they?

• Advertisement

No, my initial point is that using this kind of chatty slang in the first place is very insincere and off-putting, like making chit chat with a used car salesman. I'd prefer they said neither.

No, my initial point is that using this kind of chatty slang in the first place is very insincere and off-putting, like making chit chat with a used car salesman. I'd prefer they said neither.

If chit chatty slang annoys you fair enough. There is much worse examples out there than the meteor ad, but Im sure its common for one small thing about an ad to grind ones gears. Don't get me started on "Its fantastic like the ship!" again.

If chit chatty slang annoys you fair enough. There is much worse examples out there than the meteor ad, but Im sure its common for one small thing about an ad to grind ones gears. Don't get me started on "Its fantastic like the ship!" again.

That Meteor one is not by any means the worst. Hello.ie certainly have that nailed on.

I noticed actually that the guy clicking his fingers at the dog in the 123.ie ad (which I was giving out about a few days ago) is also in a new Lidl ad where he's claiming to be a butcher for the supermarket. No bother using actors and nothing against the man himself, but they are heavily implying he really is a Lidl butcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

What if we all gave one percent?

Eh....what if some of us already give ten?

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    What if we all gave one percent?

Eh....what if some of us already give ten?

Or if I don't have 1 percent to give to myself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Or if I don't have 1 percent to give to myself?

Or if I used to have 1% but now it comes out of my salary before I even get it?

(my 10% was time, dont want to seem like im boasting about money - far from it lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Nacho Burger. I hope they don't think they made up that 'joke'. Although with how they over explain it, I fear they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭nitna bitna

the ad for the cash for gold in the jervis centre dublin

that aul fella is a turkey brain

keelanj69 wrote: »
    Nacho Burger. I hope they don't think they made up that 'joke'. Although with how they over explain it, I fear they do.

That ad doesnt make any sense to me. The only bit I get is, "Thats nacho drink".

the ad for the cash for gold in the jervis centre dublin

that aul fella is a turkey brain

Is that Thomas gear? Seems so shady in every way, even his last name makes him sound like a confidence trickster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I don't know what this crowd are about but I detest those god awful stupid Seanie Mac ads. I have to mute the tv or flick the channel. Cannot abide them.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

Swearing in ads on tv you say..it might improve some of the shyte you see on the tv at the moment..

daithi1970 wrote: »
    Swearing in ads on tv you say..it might improve some of the shyte you see on the tv at the moment..

I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

phasers wrote: »
    The new lotto ad with some dickhead.

Yes. I hate they way he lifts up his lip to reveal his front teeth when he says "on me".

That's fu.cking disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Patch123

I really, really, really hate the McDonald's ad 'glad all over' with the kids in the bouncy castle. I hate it because it's so incredibly, cravenly, far away from the crap that they sell, and so blatently aimed at kid's pester-power.

I'd love, for example, if we had a TV show which made fake ads - such as overlaying this song with scenes from an abittoir, and playing that excruciating "I'm loving it" whistle at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Patch123 wrote: »
    I really, really, really hate the McDonald's ad 'glad all over' with the kids in the bouncy castle. I hate it because it's so incredibly, cravenly, far away from the crap that they sell, and so blatently aimed at kid's pester-power.

I'd love, for example, if we had a TV show which made fake ads - such as overlaying this song with scenes from an abittoir, and playing that excruciating "I'm loving it" whistle at the end.

Can we get them to make a ad depicting thousands of bunny rabbits getting run over by combine harvesters followed by a smug vegetarian looking down their nose at the evil meat eatter?

What the fuq is a vintage dress?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭donegal_man

What the fuq is a vintage dress?

One that sounds better than "old second hand dress"

Just when you thought the Aviva rugby add was annoying, they bring out its sequel with an even more annoying, hammy acted, dodgy accented Metal head. What accent is that meant to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Just saw some annoying ad about how paying your tv licence makes great quality programming. What a joke.

Just when you thought the Aviva rugby add was annoying, they bring out its sequel with an even more annoying, hammy acted, dodgy accented Metal head. What accent is that meant to be?

Waterford I imagine. Awful stuff.

Regarding the vintage dress, I forgive her because she brightens my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

"she fancies you, Rob"
    Grrrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭nitna bitna

that JML X5 Mop ad theyve been showin the last 7years pisses me off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Waterford I imagine. Awful stuff.

Regarding the vintage dress, I forgive her because she brightens my day.

Would ya?

(apoligies if 'brightens my day' is a play on the Ariel slogon)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

"222222....1890 222222....."

The Nikon ads with that really depressing song ".....I've come ho-ooo-oo-ome..."

That Bulmers ad where me man is walkin around doing things with one touch of his hand and quoting some poetic rubbish

Any ad that has Jedward,One Direction,David Beckham or Rory McIlroy in them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement