Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Just seen a new ad with a "revamped" version of 222222,1890 222222....

Seems like they show it twice during each ad break.I dunno which one is worse,this one or the Pat Shortt one

Seems like they show it twice during each ad break.I dunno which one is worse,this one or the Pat Shortt one

Oops sorry,didn't mean to post that twice-me browser is gone haywire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Seasan wrote: »

The new one is worse. The 222222 is very forced and almost sounds like there are too many twos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

maximoose wrote: »
    "Bin it your way" adverts

Quite possibly the stupidest advertising campaign I've seen.

Yup I cringe when I see it, pretty much like I'd cringe if I saw some gob****e doing a "move" to bin a piece of chewing gum. Adverts aimed at a young audience and written by 50+ year olds do not work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Ciaran511

that ad they always show in the cinema where they make like a rainbow over the Liffey, I don't even know what it's for I just hate it so much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Ciaran511 wrote: »
    that ad they always show in the cinema where they make like a rainbow over the Liffey, I don't even know what it's for I just hate it so much

The Lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I know the ad but I cant think of the college it is advertising for at all. Dont really understand the point of advertising a college. I dont know anyone who would see an ad and think "jaysus, I'll go study engineering for 4 years in trinity now! oh wait, the dead line has passed, errr next year maybe"

Afaik, it's for a private college, where you pay and don't need your CAO points. You'll see more over the next few weeks when Johnny and Mary don't get enough points for other colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Afaik, it's for a private college, where you pay and don't need your CAO points. You'll see more over the next few weeks when Johnny and Mary don't get enough points for other colleges.

Agh. Avoid. I work at a "college" in China run on a similar idea. Parents pay extra money to send their lazy failure kids to a private school so they can tell the neighbours that their precious little Yangyang has a piece of paper that is allegedly a degree. It's a fairly crap and demoralising place to be and to work in. I need to move on to fairer educational climes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

stannis wrote: »
    Agh. Avoid. I work at a "college" in China run on a similar idea. Parents pay extra money to send their lazy failure kids to a private school so they can tell the neighbours that their precious little Yangyang has a piece of paper that is allegedly a degree. It's a fairly crap and demoralising place to be and to work in. I need to move on to fairer educational climes...

Jaysus parents in China are getting lazy, eh?

Yangyang? Reminds me of Yumyum in Gran Torino :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

keelanj69 wrote: »
    Jaysus parents in China are getting lazy, eh?

Yangyang? Reminds me of Yumyum in Gran Torino :D

There are bad students in China?:eek:

I always thought they were all super smart over-achieving nerds whose sole purpose was to make our drunken students look bad! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

The Amy Huberman Newbridge Silver ads. Cringe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

...even the music from the new coke ad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

"To meet someone on the same intellectual level as me. Elite Singles is the obvious choice."

:mad:

And the other one with the Woman in it.

"To find knobends that are the same type of knobends as you, Elite Singles is the obvious choice."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The big weird doll head Ikea people :eek: If I was a child I'd have nightmares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Allyall wrote: »
    "To meet someone on the same intellectual level as me. Elite Singles is the obvious choice."

:mad:

And the other one with the Woman in it.

"To find knobends that are the same type of knobends as you, Elite Singles is the obvious choice."
    I love how he is listed as 'Enterpreneur'. Quite literally ANYONE can call themselves that, it's something that gets ripped to shreds routinely on Dragon's Den because it literally means nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭marketty

Billy86 wrote: »
    I love how he is listed as 'Enterpreneur'. Quite literally ANYONE can call themselves that, it's something that gets ripped to shreds routinely on Dragon's Den because it literally means nothing.

'Gee bag' just doesn't have the same ring to it

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

The big weird doll head Ikea people :eek: If I was a child I'd have nightmares.

I went home to Ireland for a month this summer and despite (technically) being a grown man I found that ad quite disturbing the first time I saw it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Yeah exactly.

I mean why all these weird ads to promote a college? What would be so bad about just keeping it simple and film one or two areas of the college while getting a few simple soundbytes from students?

yup, whole thing smacks of a scam with a worthless qualification at the end of it. That's why they have so much marketing, to get to the more gullible people who don't do their research.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    There are bad students in China?:eek:

I always thought they were all super smart over-achieving nerds whose sole purpose was to make our drunken students look bad! :D:D

Those are generally the ones that migrate. There is a huge culture of cheating at exams in China, basically cheating is now considered part of the exams themselves. There was even parent rioting when they tried to stop cheating at one school.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/10132391/Riot-after-Chinese-teachers-try-to-stop-pupils-cheating.html

Cheating is a tough aul' skill and not to be sniffed at. Many of the best phd students have a highly esteemed history of cheating. "I put my success down to hard work and cheating." says Phil, phd student.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,543 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Not sure if it's been mentioned previously but the Ariel ad where this young wan is rambling on about stains on her dress and Mammy (who looks more like her sister) comes to the rescue and gets it all clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

notice how all the david beckhams can only afford one pair of 3d glasses between them

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I haven't seen that one so I'm guessing its one of those cheapo ads that they only show on
    Tv3 which is a channel I avoid if I can help it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I haven't seen that one so I'm guessing its one of those cheapo ads that they only show on
    Tv3 which is a channel I avoid if I can help it.
    Quite sure it's on a number of channels since the only time I tend to be on TV3 is if for sports. But here you go... I apologise in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

The elite singles is like a crappy ad put together by the apprentices

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Quite sure it's on a number of channels since the only time I tend to be on TV3 is if for sports. But here you go... I apologise in advance.

They should at least be honest and caption it "Oliver, failed actor"

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Is that for real?Its like one of those sketchs they used to show on The Fast Show.Swiss Tony comes to mind.I was expecting him to start going on about how much women like Belgium chocolates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

effing guinness and more of their effing young "cool / cúl / kewl" crap

"we are the innovators..."

I both love it yet loath the lameness of it all, mostly because if this is what young Irish innovation / creativity is, we are doomed.

Some head-nodding bodhrain-ing 4 seconds in seals this ads fate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Is that for real?Its like one of those sketchs they used to show on The Fast Show.Swiss Tony comes to mind.I was expecting him to start going on about how much women like Belgium chocolates.
    Ever notice that the people who claim to be intellectual aren't really that smart? There are no books or other signs of intelligence in that clip. :) If that guy is an entrepreneur, there must be another stockmarket crash on the way. (ObRef: Joe Kennedy's shoe-shine boy giving stock tips.)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

pookiesboo wrote: »
    The Amy Huberman Newbridge Silver ads. Cringe

:(

And I absolutely love her in Threesome, but every time that ad is on I'm scarleh for her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement