Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

I see that cost plus sofa guys are back under a new name of course

there ad the announcer couldn't give a toss the voice over guy

syklops wrote: »
    I can tell the difference between coke and zero by its smell. If you don't notice the difference by tasting it, you should go to the doctor.

when I tried coke zero its turns to foam in my mouth yuck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The laundry detergent ad where the father clearly hates his son.

Pr!ck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Birneybau wrote: »
    The laundry detergent ad where the father clearly hates his son.

Pr!ck.

Its odd alright.

There is probably another scene where the Dad trashes the hell out of his son over a stain an a carpet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

This one has to go into room 101 .

Cillit bang advert I fkcuing hate BARRY SCOTT why does he have to shout ?

every time that add comes on I fall over furniture looking or the remote I cant stand that add!!:mad:

HI IM BARRY SCOTT .

http://youtu.be/1gKjjEctWuo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Its odd alright.

There is probably another scene where the Dad trashes the hell out of his son over a stain an a carpet

There's a clear subtext to that ad. Mammy died recently, leaving the two men with no female company,largely incapable of taking care of themselves (for example, Dad doesn't even know you can get detergent and softener in one...the fool!), with unresolved issues and bitterness festering. Unable to mourn, the son has distracted himself with his car while his embittered father simply finds fault and waits for every opportunity to insult his son as a surrogate for Mammy, by whose death he is utterly enraged, yet totally helpless.

It's all there lads. Very depressing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

There's a clear subtext to that ad. Mammy died recently, leaving the two men with no female company,largely incapable of taking care of themselves (for example, Dad doesn't even know you can get detergent and softener in one...the fool!), with unresolved issues and bitterness festering. Unable to mourn, the son has distracted himself with his car while his embittered father simply finds fault and waits for every opportunity to insult his son as a surrogate for Mammy, by whose death he is utterly enraged, yet totally helpless.

They should go on the first episode of the Late Late Show with Tubridy next season, and show the world how they are overcoming adversity.
    It would be an unusual topic for Tubs/LLS, but i reckon they could pull it off.

Allyall wrote: »
    They should go on the first episode of the Late Late Show with Tubridy next season, and show the world how they are overcoming adversity.
    It would be an unusual topic for Tubs/LLS, but i reckon they could pull it off.

Tubridy: "Do you beat your son?"
    Man: "Well, yes...but wouldn't we all?"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

effing guinness and more of their effing young "cool / cúl / kewl" crap

"we are the innovators..."

I both love it yet loath the lameness of it all, mostly because if this is what young Irish innovation / creativity is, we are doomed.

Some head-nodding bodhrain-ing 4 seconds in seals this ads fate

If they are 'the new Ireland' how come they all look the wrong side of 40?
    That ad reminds me of one of those American teen dramas where all the high school kids are played by actors in their early thirties.

Every single one of the KFC ads, but in particular the one where the really, really bad actor says something like, "i'll go on long walks, i'll even share some of my innermost thoughts, but share my food?.. Naaaaaaaaaaaahhh".

So she sits there at the end of the advert with no food.
    All that tells me is KFC is expensive, and yer man is a tight cnut.
    It has to be up there with the cráppest adverts of all time.
    :mad::mad:

Daily Millions. Why is called? Thursday, friday, saturday...

Fcuk off. :mad:

• Advertisement

I hope there's a follow up ad, with them realising they need each other, hug and get on with their lives.

Birneybau wrote: »
    I hope there's a follow up ad, with them realising they need each other, hug and get on with their lives.

I can see it now, alright. The boy saying to his Dad, "it's not your fault. It's not your fault" and Dad bawling loudly and sobbing like a child into his own son's very clean shirt.

The tagline could just say "Be honest. Be Bold".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

The Vanish ad where it is send a tip and there are basically "Use as directed"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The Cheese Strings ad where it's just a high pitched voice saying 'cheese' over and over again is TV-punchingly annoying.

The Cheese Strings ad where it's just a high pitched voice saying 'cheese' over and over again is TV-punchingly annoying.

Was gonna post that earlier, where it's supposed to be some sort of radar. But I thought i had complained too much, best not tip the pot.. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I thought I'd bring up the tone a bit by posting this genius. We need a bit of relief from the awfulness!

Allyall wrote: »
    Every single one of the KFC ads, but in particular the one where the really, really bad actor says something like, "i'll go on long walks, i'll even share some of my innermost thoughts, but share my food?.. Naaaaaaaaaaaahhh".

So she sits there at the end of the advert with no food.
    All that tells me is KFC is expensive, and yer man is a tight cnut.
    It has to be up there with the cráppest adverts of all time.
    :mad::mad:

Daily Millions. Why is called? Thursday, friday, saturday...

Fcuk off. :mad:

Just seems to me as an attempt to an an Inbetweeners bit but without any of the redeeming factors whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Those Bet Victor Ad's with the tall, creepy beared guy looking for the latest odds from Victor.

I can't think of a creepier person on telly at the moment. Makes me cringe every time

Those Bet Victor Ad's with the tall, creepy beared guy looking for the latest odds from Victor.

I can't think of a creepier person on telly at the moment. Makes me cringe every time
    Got to agree, and add that I hate the Ray Winston Bet365 ads also. They might as well just hire Danny Dyer and have the two of them go "whatwhatwhat, Lahhhhhhndaaahhhnnn, gritty innit yeah, haaaawwwd" and so on from front to finish.

What's even cringier about the Winston ads is I bet they get a good return from it. Somehow makes some people subconsciously think they're a character in Lock, Stock or Snatch. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

The IKEA ad is so freaking weird.

I instinctively always have to look at the "girl" at the end that's kneeling facing away from you and swinging her hair. >_>

• Advertisement

I instinctively always have to look at the "girl" at the end that's kneeling facing away from you and swinging her hair. >_>

Huh? The girl at the end is the little kid who is playing with the dolls that we saw in the rest of the ad, surely.

I dunno if I mentioned this before but did anyone notice the guy in the 123.ie ad clicking his fingers like a prick is also pretending to be a butcher in the current Lidl ad? Very distracting. I mentioned it in passing to a mate who works on ad shoots and he said it would actually be a major contractual issue and there's a good chance he misled the people making the two ads.

Either way I'm sure he'll be on Fair City before the year is out.

EDIT: I actually did post about this before. I really need to take a break from this thread, wait for some new ads to start arriving.

Surprised if he doesn't catch some hassle over that - I know the 123 ad with the girl definitely says "real 123.ie employee" by her name, at least... wonder if it says it for him too? Though the ad with him has vanished lately, coincidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I won't say I despise them but they always bewilder me: All beer ads. Especially Guinness adds.

Like that one you see the cloud moving over what looks to be New York. You kind of know almost immediately that this is a beer ad! And Guinness in particular. And what does Made of More mean !!

The Great Escape skit for I think either Heineken or Carlsberg and other 'do anything for beer' ads are all very peculiar.

As someone said to me: are they drunk when they make them?

Anyhow, they are something I don't despise but something I laugh at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Billy86 wrote: »
    Surprised if he doesn't catch some hassle over that - I know the 123 ad with the girl definitely says "real 123.ie employee" by her name, at least... wonder if it says it for him too? Though the ad with him has vanished lately, coincidence?

She is a babe!!!
    I would give them my business, but....... It would would have to be in person, with her, somewhere quiet, somewhere private, all romantic like :-)

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    She is a babe!!!
    I would give them my business, but....... It would would have to be in person, with her, somewhere quiet, somewhere private, all romantic like :-)
    Really? She looks alright, but nothing special. Heads up - they will try to charge you €40 for changing ANYTHING on your policy with them. There's a reason the intro prices are so low. ;)

...and I don't care what the guy a few posts up has to say about beer ads, this remains one of the best ads for anything in a long, long time! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I won't say I despise them but they always bewilder me: All beer ads. Especially Guinness adds.

What?!?!? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Even these Guinness ads?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Those are old Guinness ads that actually showed the product (and people drinking the stuff)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The meteor ad.

I don't how many more times i can listen to "wales isn't a country" before the telly goes through the wall

The meteor ad.

I don't how many more times i can listen to "wales isn't a country" before the telly goes through the wall
    I've been back in the country about 10 months, and every single Meteor ad has been in the bottom 10-20 ads I have seen in that time. They are remarkably awful, each and every one... kind of like the reverse of Compare the Market/Meerkat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

The male cancer ad doing the round at the mo its like they sat around saying to themselfs "right where makeing a ad aimed at men maybe we shouldnt make them out to be rapists and dumb asses for once ideas?" and everyone look at each other or pulled out their phone and started playing angry birds till one piped up and said "um how about its TWO men and only one of them is a complete moron and the other one isnt trying to rape or kill a kid or crash a car or something?" ****ing genius !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement