Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Roanmore wrote: »
    Hope I'm not tempting fate here but I haven't seen any ads for Arthur's day this year, you know the one "To Arthur".

Surprisingly, no! Since when has this Arthur's day taken on a life of its own? Wasn't it meant as a one-off event to celebrate Arthur Guinness' 200th or something birthday?

But it is here if you want it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM6qclgh4Ro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 George_Foreman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Surprisingly, no! Since when has this Arthur's day taken on a life of its own? Wasn't it meant as a one-off event to celebrate Arthur Guinness' 200th or something birthday?

But it is here if you want it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM6qclgh4Ro
    Too much heat in the media, Christie Moore releasing a song slating it aswell, they seem to be lying low, expect it to be cancelled in a year or 2, Im sure they'll be quick to come up with some high budget pretentious **** to replace it soon enough though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Thargor wrote: »
    Too much heat in the media, Christie Moore releasing a song slating it aswell, they seem to be lying low, expect it to be cancelled in a year or 2, Im sure they'll be quick to come up with some high budget pretentious **** to replace it soon enough though.
    That viral video of the two plastered D4 tossers doing naked pushups and groping each other summed up Arthurs Day much better than anything Guinness could come up with.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Christ ,will we ever live that one down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

The worst one for me at the moment is the Aldi ad for Irish beef were they say '100%' about a zillion times. The most annoying part is the D4 couple making dinner and the husband says 'Are you ready for your steak love?' and she replies '100%'. Arghhhh, fcuk off!!!!

Its so annoying and the Irish stations have it on constant loop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

To Martha!

*gets hit over the head with beer bottle*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Christ ,will we ever live that one down?

Naked Grope Dancing

I've never seen/heard of that before.. Jaysus!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The 'Bin it your way' ads which encourage people to put chewing gum on the bin.
    Basically its asking people to do a fcuking dance next to the bin before they dispose of their Wrigleys. Feck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 George_Foreman

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Chips for tea.

It's so annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Park Christmas Savings Club. Apart from the fact that talking about Christmas 2014 in September 2013 is a load of crap, the teenage daughter in the ad freaks me out. She has a completely different accent to the rest of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

efb wrote: »
    Chips for tea.

It's so annoying

thank you. i thought i was the only one. very annoying advert :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

The new Durex ad where it shows couples having it off on a rickety boat, behind a couple of haystacks etc. (as you do) but its at the end where you see a dog running off with a pair of knickers. WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Bit like you then, fresh out of ideas and whatever the rest is.

Irritating f^%king ad.

Dad:"Look at the state of your clothes! Go clean them up"
    Son:"Dad, I bought this t-shirt in Tesco with the money I earned from my paper round and I like the way it looks.If you dont want me to **** into your morning coffee, stop being a douche!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I just remembered the other annoying phone as I was thinking of

"What was th name of that girl we met in Greece"

"It's 3am [in Australia]"

"Yeah yeah. What was her name!?"

Get f***ed. It's just lazy. Who... walking down the street... at 4pm... decides to call a mate in Oz out of the blue... not say hello, not say anything... just say "what was her name!?"... while walking by construction work? Dear marketing dep't, stop being so f***ing lazy and get f***ed.

Put the guy making the call sitting at a computer on Facebook or something. Have him say "hey, it's Pete, awkward time but what was her name" or something to that effect. It's not hard. It's a simple, simple little change that makes the ad go from cringe-worthily awful and unentertaining to at least halfway funny and credible. You get paid, and I assume well, so at least TRY to earn it.

---

And this sh**e:

I mean, it's just so WHACKY!!!

FFS, half of Louisiana would tell you dinosaurs never existed!

But, but, but... WHACKY!!!

Again... get f***ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

The RTE Big Music Week advert.

Its not the ad itself, its the web address they show at the end: WWW.RTÉ.IE/BIGMUSICWEEK

First of all, if you got to rté.ie (with the fada) you don't get taken to RTEs website and second typing it in in capitals, even if you don't include the fada takes you to "Page Not Found".

First of all, if you got to rté.ie (with the fada) you don't get taken to RTEs website and second typing it in in capitals, even if you don't include the fada takes you to "Page Not Found".
    It's a shame the auld Star Trek facepalm won't work in here, that's incredible. I always cringe a little when someone in work tells me their email over the phone "Mary dot smith at hotmail dot com... with a capital M for Mary but not for Smith". I just never have the heart to tell them! :o Honestly have no idea how to say it without making them feel stupid ha!

That is shocking though, coming from a whole department of likely people in their 20s/30s primarily. Is a page redirect from the one in caps REALLY that hard?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

It works fine for me with the capitals, I'm guessing chrome will try it without capitals if it can't find it with them. In fact maybe it's the browser's fault because url's are not supposed to be case-sensitive unlike email... so bOaRdS.iE should work just as well as boards.ie

It works fine for me with the capitals, I'm guessing chrome will try it without capitals if it can't find it with them.
    Not RTE.ie (anything before the "/" that follows .com/.ie/.etc will always work fine) but http://www.RTE.IE/BIGMUSICWEEK which is what the ad is promoting, is an invalid link. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Apologies if this ad has already been mentioned,but every time I see that ad for Bold detergent-the one with the father and son,I wanna hit that father such an unmerciful wallop into that smart-arsed hole in his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Seasan wrote: »
    Apologies if this ad has already been mentioned,but every time I see that ad for Bold detergent-the one with the father and son,I wanna hit that father such an unmerciful wallop into that smart-arsed hole in his face.

Can't watch that ad anymore without thinking about the backstory someone posted on this thread (I think!) about the mother being dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

The new ad for No 7 finding out what shade of foundation you need. The end where it clearly says, "Tah Dah" on the screen but the voiceover says "Tah Dum" :mad:

Seasan wrote: »

If you look to the top of this page thats the one I mentioned.

The concept is used by lazy or stupid writers to convey friendliness between father and son by having them slag each other, but instead it just comes across as dross and irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

syklops wrote: »
    If you look to the top of this page thats the one I mentioned.

The concept is used by lazy or stupid writers to conve friendliness between father and son by having them slag each other, but instead it just comes across as dross and irritating.
    Theres a hilarious shot of the son riding home on an old womans bike towards the camera with the detergent in the front basket in that ad, I always laugh when it comes on, its so amateurish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Trying to watch a soccer game has become insufferable with all these In play betting adverts. Also, those BetVictor ads really do my nut in.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭chucksandstorm

I never got perfume adverts, they all seem to follow the same formula.
    Do people actually buy perfume based on adverts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I would say absolutely they do. Did you ever buy a perfume (for yourself or as a gift) that you hadn't previously heard of?

I wouldn't go out and buy perfume because I saw an ad; however if I was buying some as a present, and I'd seen an expensive ad for it with some sexy celebrity and moody shots of Paris or Prague, I'd feel that bit more confident in my choice! :D

The Chanel ad around christmas with Little Red Riding hood I love. And not simply because Little Red Riding hood is hot. Its a nice ad. Its not irritating which so many are. Also the one with Nicole Kidman is also pleasent, and again not simply because the music is Clair de Lune by Debussy which I also love, nor that Nicole Kidman is easy on the eye. Its another non-irritating ad.

I also love the smell of Chanel. Have done since before either of these ads came out. I would have difficulty naming another perfume and I can't think of another perfume ad which I have ever seen. So I ask myself is it a coincidence, that the only 2 perfume ads I can think of are ones for a perfume I know and like? Or is there something else at work here?

No. I dont drink coke because of the ads. Back when I used to drink a lot of coke I drank it because it was, to my palate the nicest tasting main stream cola. Jolt Cola was not readily available. I drink guinness because I like the taste not because I like the ads.

My mother did door to door market research for years. A regular study was the effect of ads, and a common question was "Whats your favourite ad". She said you would not believe the number of people who would say the "Heineken Frogs".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Billy86 wrote: »
    I just remembered the other annoying phone as I was thinking of

"What was th name of that girl we met in Greece"

"It's 3am [in Australia]"

"Yeah yeah. What was her name!?"

Get f***ed. It's just lazy. Who... walking down the street... at 4pm... decides to call a mate in Oz out of the blue... not say hello, not say anything... just say "what was her name!?"... while walking by construction work? Dear marketing dep't, stop being so f***ing lazy and get f***ed.

Put the guy making the call sitting at a computer on Facebook or something. Have him say "hey, it's Pete, awkward time but what was her name" or something to that effect. It's not hard. It's a simple, simple little change that makes the ad go from cringe-worthily awful and unentertaining to at least halfway funny and credible. You get paid, and I assume well, so at least TRY to earn it.

On the flip-side I don't mind the other version of that ad with the one in the dressing room not able to take off the top she's trying on. Mainly due to the fact she's hot :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement